tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to AB

Re: [Other] 5 Greatest Athletes of ALL time?

said by AB:

said by Eagles LoveR:

Give your top 5, dammit boy!

There can be no discussion:

1. Brian Dawkins
2. Ron Jaworski
3. Allen Iverson
4. Chuck Bednarik
5. Randall Cunningham

You forgot Bobby Clarke. And Julius Erving.
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3
reply to Eagles LoveR
said by Eagles LoveR:

Lol. No McNabb?

said by tmpchaos:

You forgot Bobby Clarke. And Julius Erving.

Numbers 6, 7, and 8, obviously.

I'll be serious for just a moment: No possible way to come up with a consesus five. Everybody has their own subjective opinion, and each will use slightly different criteria. More or less a pointless discussion.

Bo Jackson probably could've been a star at most any sport of his choice, but his career in any sport really wasn't long enough for him to qualify. He was most definitely an amazing individual, though.

Babe Ruth should be in everybody's top five. The things he did were head and shoulders above anything anybody else had ever done in his sport, and many of those things remain that way today. If he hadn't become an everyday player, he was still bound for the Hall Of Fame as pitcher.

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI
Babe ruth is a good one we forgot.

Nice touch.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

1 recommendation

reply to Eagles LoveR
I realize we're talking about males but Babe Didrikson deserves mention.
--
my pants are parched and thirsty

Moorecards

join:2001-10-19
Martinsburg, WV
reply to Eagles LoveR
Jim Brown is another one ..

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
Brady/Belichick might make the list.

I think we may be missing some tennis pros as well.

Cal Ripken ?

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
join:2001-11-29
Trenton, NJ
reply to fatness
Here let me clarify.. MALE Athletes only.

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ
reply to f0rtys3ven
Brady isn't much of an "athlete". Vick is a better athlete than him. If i were to make a list of the smartest athletes Brady would easily be mentioned along with the Mannings bros, etc.. Only a few QBs I would like to put, Fran, Steve Young, Cunningham and a couple others i'm probably forgetting
--
"I done wrassled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale, only Last week I murdered a rock, Injured a stone, hospitalized a brick, I'm so mean I make medicine sick!!"-Ali

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
I think you have to factor in results.

Brady/Belichick create results.

Cal Ripken's streak is really really impressive and worth honorable mention. I can't remember the number of consecutive games but it was astronomical.
--
Leaning out a window with a cocked shotgun. Driving up the block in the car they shot Pac in. Looking for Big's killers. Dressing ridiculous. Blue and red like I don't know what the big deal is.

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ
Oh you are right they do create results. But physically Brady doesn't have a Favre type of arm, can't run to save his life - his results come from him being so intelligent and making good reads moreso than physical skills.
--
"I done wrassled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale, only Last week I murdered a rock, Injured a stone, hospitalized a brick, I'm so mean I make medicine sick!!"-Ali

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
Do you forget Brady/Moss?

He may not have the ball speed that Farve does, but he throws a much nicer rainbow deep ball. Brady is a classical QB with classical reads and skills. He is mechanically amazing.

Going from a 4 wide spread offence to a 2 tight end 10 yard offence the next season and winning with both is amazing in my book.

I am biased. Hes a wolverine.
--
Leaning out a window with a cocked shotgun. Driving up the block in the car they shot Pac in. Looking for Big's killers. Dressing ridiculous. Blue and red like I don't know what the big deal is.

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ
In the 2007 SB Moss was wide open for the win. Brady Underthrew him.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
Fair.

The other 50 they did complete were B E A UTIFUL though.

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ
It was. But it's also RANDY MOSS. If we are talking honorable mention Moss deserves to be on that list before Brady. Moss made Culpepper an all-pro and almost an MVP. Brady has an NFL arm which is great but he doesn't have a legendary arm.
--

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Eagles LoveR
When you say 'greatest athlete', I think more about athletic ability than their performance in one area. For instance, Gretzky dominated hockey like no other athlete has ever dominated any sport, but the guy could hardly do ten pushups.

From a pure athletic ability standpoint, Bo Jackson was the genetic freak that could do absolutely anything and do it better than you.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

lew_b
Premium
join:2003-05-11
Poughkeepsie, NY
reply to Eagles LoveR
said by Eagles LoveR:

Here let me clarify.. MALE Athletes only.

I'll add Secretariat.
Hey, you didn't specify human
--
Roadkill 2015

Deft
Stros in '08
Premium
join:2003-09-06
Grand Forks, ND
reply to Eagles LoveR
*cough* Jeff Bagwell *cough*

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH
reply to Eagles LoveR
said by Eagles LoveR:

Brady isn't much of an "athlete". Vick is a better athlete than him.

There's really no way to name the top 5 athletes covering all sports. What criteria are we using? Michael Jordan might very well be the greatest basketball player, but how can you say he's a better athlete than Barry Sanders? Neither could have done what the other did in their respective sports. Could either of them hit a 100MPH fast ball? Jordan tried, but just wasn't that good. If we define the top athlete as being in the best physical condition, I'd argue F1 driver Jenson Button, who many of you have probably never heard of. Why do I say Jenson? In his down time, he competes in Ironman Triathlons. Can any of the athletes mentioned in other previous posts swim 2 miles, bike 110 miles, and then run a marathon in the same day? 'Nuff said.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ
Iron Man shit? That is insane. My cousin just did lake Placid like 2 weeks ago

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..
reply to Eagles LoveR
Five? Four people were picked as the the best of the twentieth century in their sport. And this was a mistake as the picks were put up to a popular vote and the two who deserved the honor had not played in the memory of most fans so the "pros' added the two that they thought deserved the honor.
Pele, Michelle Akers, Sun Wen, and Diego Maradona.

Pele and Michelle Akers belong right up at the top of any list of the best athletes of all time.

Akers had Chronic fatigue syndrome while playing in the world cup and here teammates did all her chores for her so she wold have the energy to play. They won the cup that year as the best team in the world.

Pele started playing on a pro team at 15, his national team at 16 and the world cup at 17.

Soccer if you haven't guessed.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pel%C3%A9

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Akers
--
Whoever said that ignorance is bliss wasn't refering to a person with a computer at his fingertips!

Cure Disease with your computer

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
5? Man I my list is 2!

1) Tim Tebow
2) Jeremy Lin

Forhad

join:2012-10-03
Toronto, ON
reply to Eagles LoveR
I think you forgot to mention Jim Brown.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY
reply to Eagles LoveR
Pele, George Best, and Maradona have to be on there somewhere as well as Carl Lewis and Bolt.

Rojo_P

join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH
reply to Eagles LoveR
said by Eagles LoveR:

I was having this argument a couple days ago. Obviously in the argument is Jordan, Babe Ruth, Wayne Gretzky, Wilt the Stilt, Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Leonard,Jerry Rice,Bo Jackson, And IMO Michael Phelps(Most aorund the office agree Phelps deserves to be in the conversation after all he did. One strongly argued against it. Any Thoughts if Phelps should be in the argument or not?).

1) Bo Jackson at number 1. He was the best at his position in 1 sport and then an all star in another sport. Bar none he was amazing - wish his career lasted long and wish I was of age to see him live.

2)Jordan would be my second - the way he dominated his sport was uncanny, how he changed the sport forever due to his dominance. If you saw MJ play you would easily have him 1-2

3)Gretzky - NO ONE dominated their sport the way he did. He has more assists than the 2nd person has total points. amazing.

4)Ali - he fought in the prime era of heavy weights and beat everybody. People do this very day try to be Ali.

5)I just have to give it to Phelps. Swimming is ridiculously difficult to do and with him plowing through people over the past decade is amazing. Swimming against the best the world has to offer and just purely dominating them. 18 Gold 22 Medals may never ever be done again. Absolutely amazing athlete.

Whats yours?

I like your list and the argument against Phelps would be that there are others who seem as deserving, together with the fact that there are abundant Olympic swimming events where one could medal.
As mentioned by others, I believe Jim Brown, Babe Ruth and Jim Thorpe should definitely be in the discussion, but I can't kick any of yours out, at least any of your top four.
--
There's nothing big I want to prove,
No mountains that I need to move,
Or even claim what's right or true for you.

Gremeaunk49

Toronto, ON
reply to tmpchaos
I must say he was the genious and the greatest Athlete of the Twentieth Century.

Gremeaunk49

Toronto, ON
reply to tmpchaos
said by tmpchaos:

I'll just add in one you've missed totally: Jim Thorpe. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe

I must say he was the genious and the greatest Athlete of the Twentieth Century.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
Let all add Cabrara to this list.

Gavin5

canada
reply to Eagles LoveR
I think Mohammad Ali is the greatest Athlete of all time. Because he has won all the matches in his life. That is 100 out of 100.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
»www.grantland.com/podcasts

Did you guys happen to catch the podcast on Grantland with the Sports Guy and Arnold Schwarzenegger. I think Wilt Chamberlain is overlooked as one of the greatest athletes. Arnold even was amazed by the power of Wilt.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to Gavin5
said by Gavin5:

I think Mohammad Ali is the greatest Athlete of all time. Because he has won all the matches in his life. That is 100 out of 100.

Rookie poster LOL