how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI
reply to Eagles LoveR

Re: [Other] 5 Greatest Athletes of ALL time?

Do you forget Brady/Moss?

He may not have the ball speed that Farve does, but he throws a much nicer rainbow deep ball. Brady is a classical QB with classical reads and skills. He is mechanically amazing.

Going from a 4 wide spread offence to a 2 tight end 10 yard offence the next season and winning with both is amazing in my book.

I am biased. Hes a wolverine.
--
Leaning out a window with a cocked shotgun. Driving up the block in the car they shot Pac in. Looking for Big's killers. Dressing ridiculous. Blue and red like I don't know what the big deal is.

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
join:2001-11-29
Trenton, NJ

In the 2007 SB Moss was wide open for the win. Brady Underthrew him.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

Fair.

The other 50 they did complete were B E A UTIFUL though.

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ

It was. But it's also RANDY MOSS. If we are talking honorable mention Moss deserves to be on that list before Brady. Moss made Culpepper an all-pro and almost an MVP. Brady has an NFL arm which is great but he doesn't have a legendary arm.
--
"I done wrassled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale, only Last week I murdered a rock, Injured a stone, hospitalized a brick, I'm so mean I make medicine sick!!"-Ali

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Eagles LoveR

When you say 'greatest athlete', I think more about athletic ability than their performance in one area. For instance, Gretzky dominated hockey like no other athlete has ever dominated any sport, but the guy could hardly do ten pushups.

From a pure athletic ability standpoint, Bo Jackson was the genetic freak that could do absolutely anything and do it better than you.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

lew_b
Premium
join:2003-05-11
Poughkeepsie, NY
reply to Eagles LoveR

said by Eagles LoveR:

Here let me clarify.. MALE Athletes only.

I'll add Secretariat.
Hey, you didn't specify human
--
Roadkill 2015

Deft
Stros in '08
Premium
join:2003-09-06
Grand Forks, ND
reply to Eagles LoveR

*cough* Jeff Bagwell *cough*

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH
reply to Eagles LoveR

said by Eagles LoveR:

Brady isn't much of an "athlete". Vick is a better athlete than him.

There's really no way to name the top 5 athletes covering all sports. What criteria are we using? Michael Jordan might very well be the greatest basketball player, but how can you say he's a better athlete than Barry Sanders? Neither could have done what the other did in their respective sports. Could either of them hit a 100MPH fast ball? Jordan tried, but just wasn't that good. If we define the top athlete as being in the best physical condition, I'd argue F1 driver Jenson Button, who many of you have probably never heard of. Why do I say Jenson? In his down time, he competes in Ironman Triathlons. Can any of the athletes mentioned in other previous posts swim 2 miles, bike 110 miles, and then run a marathon in the same day? 'Nuff said.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ

Iron Man shit? That is insane. My cousin just did lake Placid like 2 weeks ago

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..
reply to Eagles LoveR

Five? Four people were picked as the the best of the twentieth century in their sport. And this was a mistake as the picks were put up to a popular vote and the two who deserved the honor had not played in the memory of most fans so the "pros' added the two that they thought deserved the honor.
Pele, Michelle Akers, Sun Wen, and Diego Maradona.

Pele and Michelle Akers belong right up at the top of any list of the best athletes of all time.

Akers had Chronic fatigue syndrome while playing in the world cup and here teammates did all her chores for her so she wold have the energy to play. They won the cup that year as the best team in the world.

Pele started playing on a pro team at 15, his national team at 16 and the world cup at 17.

Soccer if you haven't guessed.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pel%C3%A9

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Akers
--
Whoever said that ignorance is bliss wasn't refering to a person with a computer at his fingertips!

Cure Disease with your computer

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

5? Man I my list is 2!

1) Tim Tebow
2) Jeremy Lin

Forhad

join:2012-10-03
Toronto, ON
reply to Eagles LoveR

I think you forgot to mention Jim Brown.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY
reply to Eagles LoveR

Pele, George Best, and Maradona have to be on there somewhere as well as Carl Lewis and Bolt.

Rojo_P

join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH
reply to Eagles LoveR

said by Eagles LoveR:

I was having this argument a couple days ago. Obviously in the argument is Jordan, Babe Ruth, Wayne Gretzky, Wilt the Stilt, Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Leonard,Jerry Rice,Bo Jackson, And IMO Michael Phelps(Most aorund the office agree Phelps deserves to be in the conversation after all he did. One strongly argued against it. Any Thoughts if Phelps should be in the argument or not?).

1) Bo Jackson at number 1. He was the best at his position in 1 sport and then an all star in another sport. Bar none he was amazing - wish his career lasted long and wish I was of age to see him live.

2)Jordan would be my second - the way he dominated his sport was uncanny, how he changed the sport forever due to his dominance. If you saw MJ play you would easily have him 1-2

3)Gretzky - NO ONE dominated their sport the way he did. He has more assists than the 2nd person has total points. amazing.

4)Ali - he fought in the prime era of heavy weights and beat everybody. People do this very day try to be Ali.

5)I just have to give it to Phelps. Swimming is ridiculously difficult to do and with him plowing through people over the past decade is amazing. Swimming against the best the world has to offer and just purely dominating them. 18 Gold 22 Medals may never ever be done again. Absolutely amazing athlete.

Whats yours?

I like your list and the argument against Phelps would be that there are others who seem as deserving, together with the fact that there are abundant Olympic swimming events where one could medal.
As mentioned by others, I believe Jim Brown, Babe Ruth and Jim Thorpe should definitely be in the discussion, but I can't kick any of yours out, at least any of your top four.
--
There's nothing big I want to prove,
No mountains that I need to move,
Or even claim what's right or true for you.

Gremeaunk49

Toronto, ON
reply to tmpchaos

I must say he was the genious and the greatest Athlete of the Twentieth Century.

Gremeaunk49

Toronto, ON
reply to tmpchaos

said by tmpchaos:

I'll just add in one you've missed totally: Jim Thorpe. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe

I must say he was the genious and the greatest Athlete of the Twentieth Century.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

Let all add Cabrara to this list.

Gavin5

canada
reply to Eagles LoveR

I think Mohammad Ali is the greatest Athlete of all time. Because he has won all the matches in his life. That is 100 out of 100.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

»www.grantland.com/podcasts

Did you guys happen to catch the podcast on Grantland with the Sports Guy and Arnold Schwarzenegger. I think Wilt Chamberlain is overlooked as one of the greatest athletes. Arnold even was amazed by the power of Wilt.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to Gavin5

said by Gavin5:

I think Mohammad Ali is the greatest Athlete of all time. Because he has won all the matches in his life. That is 100 out of 100.

Rookie poster LOL

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
reply to f0rtys3ven

said by f0rtys3ven:

Let all add Cabrara to this list.

Baseball Players are athletes? Gifted and skillful.... yes. But they would rank above golfers. Look at John Daly.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
reply to Gavin5

Ali possibly surpasses this list. To be perfect for a career is amazing. To pay for it physically as bad as he has is a tragady.

American icon for sure.

Welcome to the forums.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

Ali was not perfect. He had 5 losses. He was a great athlete...no doubt.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2
reply to Eagles LoveR

Mick Jagger
Paul McCartney
Ray Davies
Pete Townshend
Justin Hayward

Oops...sorry guys. Wrong thread.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
reply to drslash

said by drslash:

Ali was not perfect. He had 5 losses. He was a great athlete...no doubt.

To me Ali, in his prime, was the gr8est athlete of all time. Handsome, perfectly proportioned people forget just how big he was. Looking at old tapes when he and Liston stood together, at the center of the ring, Lison was looking up at him. He was a Natural. Athletes in the various sports come along once in a lifetime.
Tiger Woods in Golf.
Jordan in Basketball.
Gretzsky in Hockey.
Jeter in Baseball.
Messi in soccer.
--
"The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ

I'm not sure why Ali being handsome has anything to do with him being an athlete.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

Are you sure?

Theres some pretty gnarly stats saying the physical facial symmetry of the super bowl QBs face is the deciding factor.

Eli > Brady by a lil
Eli/Brady > most QBs in the NFL.

Look into it.
--
Leaning out a window with a cocked shotgun. Driving up the block in the car they shot Pac in. Looking for Big's killers. Dressing ridiculous. Blue and red like I don't know what the big deal is.

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ

Whoa.. umm. Brady still has 3 MVPs with 2 SB MVPs with 1 or 2 league MVPs. Give Brady his props. Eli got the better of him in the two biggest games.. But Eli > Brady? I don't know. And Either way you are forgetting 3 other QBs active today.. The other Manning, Brees, and Rodgers.
--
"I done wrassled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale, only Last week I murdered a rock, Injured a stone, hospitalized a brick, I'm so mean I make medicine sick!!"-Ali

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

In facial symmetry.

Its a really dumb stat that for some reason really accurately describes super bowl winning QBs.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

On what criteria are we basing this on? If we are talking pure athletic ability I would like to throw in Allen Iverson. The dude was only like 5'11 and skinny as a stick. On pure athletic ability he was able to do what guys taller than him by a foot wish they could do. He wasn't a bad football player either. Maybe he wasn't the ideal role model but for him to dominate a game for the size he was is an athletic achievement.