Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium Member
join:2001-11-29
Trenton, NJ

Eagles LoveR to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM

Re: [Other] 5 Greatest Athletes of ALL time?

Wins/loses. Championships. Skill in their sport. Like were they winning championships and also putting up great stats during the regular season? Michael Jordan for instance in basketball. Man was the most skilled player in his era bar none. Best scorer of his era bar none and won 6 champonships in a row(Not counting 2 years in retirement)
valinrace
join:2012-10-04

valinrace to Eagles LoveR

to Eagles LoveR
I would say Michael Jordan for me. and so far my next candidate is Lebron James, Cristiano Ronaldo.

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

1 recommendation

f0rtys3ven

LOL at Lebron.

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium Member
Trenton, NJ

Eagles LoveR

Premium Member

yea... about that

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to f0rtys3ven

Premium Member

to f0rtys3ven
said by f0rtys3ven:

LOL at Lebron.

I'm a Lebron hater myself but you cannot deny his athletic ability and skill.

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

He also has more flops than Ihop.

Guys a physical specimen. Sure.

Everything else is forgettable. If he had half Jordan's drive he would have 3 rings by now.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to Eagles LoveR

Premium Member

to Eagles LoveR
said by Eagles LoveR:

I'm not sure why Ali being handsome has anything to do with him being an athlete.

I don't know why? But I just threw that in. What the hell its a stat. Why do you think Brady is on GQ?

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

Sanchez and Tebow are also on GQ.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

1 edit

Blogger to Eagles LoveR

Premium Member

to Eagles LoveR
Joe Montana was the most unusual type of celebrity athlete. The consensus greatest QB of all time, four time Super Bowl Winner and three time SB MVP plus the NFL's MVP in back to back seasons yet he shunned the spotlight and the press. A quiet unassuming man that just played for the love of the game.

He had some impressive athletic accomplishments rarely mentioned because of his low key persona.

He high jumped 6'8" in high school and set a record throwing the discus the first time he tried it. At 6'2" he could stand flat footed and dunk a a basketball with two-hands. He had a full basketball scholarship to NC State that he turned down. In little league he pitched three perfect games and years later as a college athlete he was offered a MLB tryout. He also ran track.

As an NFL QB he was highly skilled in every physical and mental trait. In many areas he did things better or accomplished things that no one else that played the position ever has.

A pretty good athlete.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Eagles LoveR

Premium Member

to Eagles LoveR
Some candidates maybe overlooked:
Jackie Robinson - 4 sports at UCLA(BB, Track, Football, Baseball)
Deion Sanders - Football & Baseball - played in World Series and Super Bowl
Bob Mathias - won Olympics Decathlon twice

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

1 edit

Blogger

Premium Member

Then there was that guy name Koufax. In a five year span:

He led the league in ERA. His ERA combined for those 5 years was 1.95.

Led the league in 4 of the 5 years in strike outs. The one year he didn't lead was a year where he missed a significant amount of the second half of the season with an injury that would not allow him to pitch.

He pitched a no hitter in four consecutive years including a perfect game. In the perfect game he struck out 7 of the last 9 and the last 6 in a row. In fact not counting the four no-hitters he threw he pitched in 9 other games where he held the other team hitless through six innings. Three times in his career in games that he pitched he struck out the side on nine pitches.

He won the Cy Young three times by an unanimous vote and the pitchers "Triple Crown" three times. (In those days only one Cy Young Award was given for the "best pitcher" in the majors, not one in each league.)

When he retired at the age 30 having just won 27 games, (29 complete games) with a 1.73 ERA he became at that time the first pitcher in Major League history to retire having averaged more than one strikeout per inning pitched.

When he set the then Major League record for strikeouts, (18) in a nine inning game against the Giants he faced guys like Mays, McCovey and Cepeda. After three innings pitched he had only three strikeouts. That means of the next 18 men he retired he struck out 15 of them.

The man was as a pitcher in a league of his own. In the decade of the pitcher, (the sixties), he was the pitcher of the decade.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

rockotman to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
said by tmpchaos:

said by AB57:

said by Eagles LoveR:

Give your top 5, dammit boy!

There can be no discussion:

1. Brian Dawkins
2. Ron Jaworski
3. Allen Iverson
4. Chuck Bednarik
5. Randall Cunningham

You forgot Bobby Clarke. And Julius Erving.

And Rocly Balboa!

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium Member
Trenton, NJ

Eagles LoveR

Premium Member

Rocky goes without saying, old man!