Treebark
Premium Member
join:2010-03-04
Havelock, NC

Treebark to knowble

Premium Member

to knowble

Re: What makes YOU elite?

TBC, killing Illidan before nerf, and killing Kil"jaden before next expac. If u say different you can suck it.
Treebark

Treebark to knowble

Premium Member

to knowble
I dont think getting an epic makes you elite. That makes your guild elite because they decided you were the one who was going to get it. So personal weapons, guild is epic, not you. Making someone epic is some of the achievements that most players dont get. Yes I know it is achievement for those weapons, but something you really couldnt do on your own during durrent content.
Expand your moderator at work

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

I'm out until MoP, not in the mood. Good luck everyone.

JB9
Stay Gold
Premium Member
join:2009-05-14

JB9

Premium Member

lol

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to JB9

Premium Member

to JB9

said by JB9:

lol

+1.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to McBrain

MVM

to McBrain
said by McBrain:

I think what makes all of us "elite" is our innate ability to understand the game, how it works, and how to manipulate its happenings in a way that benefits us or our group.

Let's be honest here, it's not like any of us can run a sub-10 second 100m or solve a Rubic's Cube at the world record pace. Like pandora said, WoW is recreational, and I think it's our ability to 'get it' that makes us seemingly better than others.

I've had moments where I thought I was on top Azeroth, so to say. When I killed Archimonde while it was current comes to mind, tanking and killing Al'Akir on my mom's computer with 5fps and 200ms latency is another time that I felt pretty awesome. Hell, just yesterday I won about 10 consecutive duels on my Enhancement Shaman, which felt really really good. But none of that stuff really makes me 'elite' in the grand scheme of things, just a champion in my own mind...which is all that matters in the semi-personal world of the internet.

I used to believe that I was elite when I was playing this game hardcore and got a full set of Tier 1 back when I was raiding 5 nights a week in vanilla. Now, I don't see myself as elite at all. I am 40 now, and my skills at the game are not as good as they once were. My reaction time is down, and I am just not the most skilled player. I am always looking to improve my skill, but that puts me behind the eight ball so to speak.

I have to agree with McBrain and others that WoW is recreational. I treat the game as such. I like getting mounts and pets, but those are just small accomplishments. I enjoy playing the game with friends, doing rated and regular battlegrounds, and otherwise just enjoying myself. I don't do dungeons anymore. I am pretty much all PvP. I may start doing dungeons again in the next patch when they make PvP gear more viable in dungeons.

My "elite" feelings come out more in real life. Like when I finished the Tough Mudder in April. 12 miles of hell with military grade obstacles in 50 degrees. Finishing that in 3 hours made me feel elite.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to knowble

Mod

to knowble
What makes me elite? I apparently get blamed for posts being deleted and I haven't read this place in like 4 months.

I win.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

»Re: Mike - Forum Picture

edit: we know there is a newer, secret mod.

Phantasee
join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Phantasee to Mike

to Mike
You missed out, Mike. Too bad bro

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to knowble

Premium Member

to knowble
I stole the loot ship during an ICC raid.

One night we had the Ice Giant weekly quest spawn. After it went down, I hopped on the boat while the rest of the raid went immediately to the quest NPC for turn-in. Once the majority of the raid had ransacked their gift bags, they turned around to get on board. The ship then pulls away from the docking ramp, and I declare on Vent that I'm "King of the Pirates!"

I thought it would be a fun stunt, and figured I'd just get mulched quickly by the encounter, boat would reset, and I'd be down my own repair bill. Laughs were had...up until the boss engaged. Immediately everyone in the zone gets ported up onto my boat and we hadn't organized away parties or anything. The raid gets slaughtered and I offer to comp everyone their repair bill. Nobody took my offer though - probably the most entertaining bit of ICC in the weeks of farming those bosses.

I did earn the nickname of the failboat captain though.
Thaler

Thaler to JB9

Premium Member

to JB9
said by JB9:

The drake meta achievements should be taken out (IMHO).

I never understood this opinion. New players obtaining the achievement somehow retroactively diminishes the fun existing players had - as though fun is a finite quantity or something.

Achievements are time stamped anyways, and so it's still possible to show that you were indeed a member of the cool kids club. Nobody's going to brag about their 2012+ ICC accomplishments.

Nick D
Premium Member
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

2 edits

Nick D

Premium Member

I've come to appreciate that opinion, because success is far easier to display with a mount you're parked on in your capital city than it is with a timestamp on an achievement.

It's like driving a Ferrari on a normal street, with traffic and stop lights and such. That extra power isn't doing anything, but it shows people that you are capable of something they are not.

That analogy does break down because sports cars don't suddenly become commodity items, but if they did, no one would be able to distinguish your hard-to-get Ferrari with Joe Blow next to you without doing a license plate lookup for purchase date.

Addendum: I think WoW would do well with some sort of WoWProgress built into the UI. A much more direct "here are the guilds on this server, and the order and times in which they killed these fights"

They're doing it with challenge modes (which are an awesome concept btw and I think they will present an interesting experiment: zero power reward but the recognition). I mean, I've never been a true hardcore raider (got Spine at 20%, Savior the last week of 25%, meta drakes the week after, and that's about par for us), but I don't care about gear except as a means to make progress easier. Once progress is obtained, I do not care that I do not have BiS (at least in the last tier; farming for upgrades in previous tiers is a different issue).

But I might be weird.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

said by Nick D:

That analogy does break down because sports cars don't suddenly become commodity items, but if they did, no one would be able to distinguish your hard-to-get Ferrari with Joe Blow next to you without doing a license plate lookup for purchase date.

I guess, but then again, I view people with Ferraris around Los Angeles traffic as complete tools. Needing that kind of validation in any other context would appear to be a shallow character flaw.

Not to mention, if everyone owned a Ferrari, it's not as though your own Ferrari ceases to function or has less performance.

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

Skittles to Snuffbox

Premium Member

to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

I'm out until MoP, not in the mood. Good luck everyone.

Not quite sure why my previous comment was "moderated" but good luck Snuff.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain to Nightfall

to Nightfall
Grats on the Tough Mudder.

Now go do the Spartan Death Race.

Google it.
Stix8
join:2010-01-08
Philadelphia, PA

Stix8 to knowble

to knowble
I blink where others must walk.

Nick D
Premium Member
Orange, CA

Nick D to Thaler

Premium Member

to Thaler
I also suspect you don't look at other people's mounts who are showing them off (let's say pre-nerf Firelord mounts) and think "man that guy and his guild have some skills in this game". There are certainly a large number of reasonable people who see that as showboating.

I had a Rag mount during Firelands from being a lucksack in normal mode (I know JB, mount without Firelord is dumb). I got a LOT of whispers about "holy crap where'd you get that mount!? it's awesome!", because a). it is a very awesome mount so I get the personal satisfaction of always seeing it and b). people are wowed by awesome things and its fun to take a small bit of pride in that.

My own accomplishment was minor to get that mount, but imagine if it had only been Firelord accessible. Those people dedicated time (both to work on the encounter and become skilled at the game in general) and proved themselves to be the best at the game by the game's definition.

Maybe it's a character flaw to want recognition and (this is a terrible word for it but) idolatry for your efforts, but its a pretty widespread one People like recognition, and they like the concept that this award/reward can only be obtained by putting forth the same effort as they did.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

1 edit

McBrain

said by Nick D:

People like recognition, and they like the concept that this award/reward can only be obtained by putting forth the same effort as they did.

Oh, I see...kind of like being rewarded a disproportionately large circular pendant made of precious metal for you to wear around your neck for being good at jumping on a trampoline?

Nick D
Premium Member
Orange, CA

1 edit

Nick D

Premium Member

Preeeeecisely.

EDIT: Except we hold the ability to jump on trampolines or move our legs really fast to a higher standard (and thus those achievements tend to be viewed as "legitimate" and the limited rewards as justified) than clicking keys in response to visual stimulus from a computer program.

I suppose there's something to be said for active competition, and there is such a thing as being objectively better than the other guy in sport, and that drakes and titles don't have a quantity cutoff (there are only 3 medals per event in the Olympics after all).

But that doesn't mean we should start handing out participation medals for everyone who tries to qualify for the Olympics, no matter how poorly they perform. It's a matter of moving the cutoffs, though.

The hardest Rag ever was was pre-nerf, so that's the gold standard. Everyone who killed Rag then gets Firelord, and I don't think you can argue that.

You can probably also state with agreement that level 90s who do 100,000 DPS average who kill him are probably just lolzing through it and do not deserve the same rewards (if you accept my premises above).

But are the rewards still valid if you killed him after the 15% nerf?

Are they still valid if you killed him at level 85 in Dragon Soul gear?

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit

Thaler to Nick D

Premium Member

to Nick D
said by Nick D:

I had a Rag mount during Firelands from being a lucksack in normal mode (I know JB, mount without Firelord is dumb). I got a LOT of whispers about "holy crap where'd you get that mount!? it's awesome!", because a). it is a very awesome mount so I get the personal satisfaction of always seeing it and b). people are wowed by awesome things and its fun to take a small bit of pride in that.

And so someone getting their own Fireland mount in MoP will somehow retroactively take away from the fun you had?
said by Nick D:

You can probably also state with agreement that level 90s who do 100,000 DPS average who kill him are probably just lolzing through it and do not deserve the same rewards (if you accept my premises above).

But are the rewards still valid if you killed him after the 15% nerf?

Are they still valid if you killed him at level 85 in Dragon Soul gear?

I guess I just have other things on my mind than the status of somebody else's pixels. I could give less of a fart about how someone else has fun in a video game (with exception to breaking TOS).

Nick D
Premium Member
Orange, CA

Nick D

Premium Member

If its still hard to get, it establishes that you have skill, so people will respect your opinion or look up to you. Pecking orders are, in fact, a thing.

And again, yes, timestamps do exist will prove your real mettle. But timestamps are not on display in the middle of Stormwind/Ogrimmar.

I mean, someone getting Savior or Firelord next expac doesn't bother me. I got Light of Dawn for giggles a month ago. But I also think that people are generally rational in the long term (or at least don't have emotional reactions long term), so that there's a good reason why more hardcore players would like their achievements to be exclusive.

I'm just trying to suss that out.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

said by Nick D:

And again, yes, timestamps do exist will prove your real mettle. But timestamps are not on display in the middle of Stormwind/Ogrimmar.

True, I just thought Blizz (and the rest of the gaming industry) went the way of the gold sticky star of achievement points. Those comparative "oh, neat" things you can look up if you really want to inspect a player.

I can understand if it's just a matter of epeen - just kind of petty to desire to lock up fun options for others in order to preserve a personal special snowflake status.