Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

outsider0

join:2002-11-28
Dearborn, MI

1 edit

Nasa TV in the future?

Watching the Curiosity landing last night on the computer, Mom was pretty disheartened that she couldn't catch any coverage on TV.

Curious as to what you all think about adding it in there - heck, look at all the shopping and religious channels few people likely watch - and from the standpoint of Wide Open West, how feasible it is.

I know if you have your own satellite dish and the like, it's possible to receive them...don't rightly know how difficult it'd be compared to the major satellites providing most of the channels we watch.

I'd certainly like to see it on at least the converter box lineup...can't imagine it being costly in terms of license fees or significant additional gear at the head-end.

Would beat the heck out of all the religious channels, though. (I mean no disrespect, just don't see how demand would be any less for Nasa compared to them.)

Thoughts? Irritated flames for me?

(Edited for clarification.)

baess

join:2011-01-28
Considering how much tax dollars go to NASA it should be OTA free to everyone.

go blue

@sbcglobal.net
It is free. If you can post on this website you have the ability to go their website and watch if for free. NASA.GOV

ray2

join:2004-01-15
Des Plaines, IL
if wowway dont get it here other option for you to get nasatv, can get here hook up with a roku box and once set wireless all she needs to do is use remote and nasatv there not trying to take wowway people a way just thought like to know in case wowway dont get the channel
--
sorry so bad spelling and hard to understand im austic person thanks

sllywhtboy

join:2001-11-13
Madison Heights, MI
reply to outsider0
watched it last night via xbox...

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:35
reply to outsider0
Feel free to request any channels you'd like at the page below. All requests are reviewed, and if there's enough demand for a channel, and it makes sense for us to add it, we will investigate it.

»www.wowway.com/help-support/cabl···-channel

baess

reply to go blue
said by go blue :

It is free. If you can post on this website you have the ability to go their website and watch if for free. NASA.GOV

That's not watching on TV, that's watching on a computer.

Plenty of taxpayers don't have computers.

outsider0

Dearborn, MI
reply to WOW_Dan
WOW_Dan...I wlll. That said, the drunken Jesus Freak channels seem to be winning in my tiny little poll. That's...heartening.

Wow. Not in a good way, either. I'll submit my request...but I've seen the howling. It's worth a shot. I'd like fer Mom to see New Horizons scan Pluto in realtime.

outsider0

Dearborn, MI
I put up, rather than shut up - gotta say, the link could use some proofreading. Anyone else wants things like NASA tv - I'm literally listening to crickets - throw in there somewhere. This one is free.

outsider0

Dearborn, MI
reply to baess
Yep. Some of them are paying the cable bill, too - I don't have $50 laying around to get Mom a speaker system She's not too enthused about the computer as it is. She would've liked to see the damn thing make planetfall without CNN or whatever.

I reiterate, this is gonna happen over and over and over...and I'd like Ma to be able to see it.

timf

join:2012-01-09
Plymouth, MI
reply to outsider0
The main reason for the religious channels is because of regulations requiring a certain number of "public interest" channels. I do believe that NASA would count as one such channel as well, but it is not widely available. WOW doesn't even have anywhere near the number of shopping and religious filler channels as the satellite providers do.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
said by timf:

The main reason for the religious channels is because of regulations requiring a certain number of "public interest" channels. I do believe that NASA would count as one such channel as well, but it is not widely available. WOW doesn't even have anywhere near the number of shopping and religious filler channels as the satellite providers do.

A lot of religious channels also pay for the rights to be on cable and satellite. [Which is the opposite of channels like ESPN, Disney, MTV, AMC, etc.. that all charge cable companies for carriage].

outsider0

Dearborn, MI
reply to timf
I know -sucks to be me.
Expand your moderator at work

join:2012-06-27
New York, NY
reply to baess

Re: Nasa TV in the future?

said by baess:

It is already available over the air free to everyone, nationwide:
»www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/s···nfo.html

quote:
NASA Television Is On Satellite AMC-18C

NASA TV is available in continental North America, Alaska and Hawaii on AMC-18C. A Digital Video Broadcast (DVB) compliant Integrated Receiver Decoder (IRD) is needed for reception. Below are parameters for each channel:

Uplink provider = AMC 18 C
Transponder = 3C
105 degrees W
C-Band
Downlink Frequency: 3760 MHz
Downlink Polarity: Vertical
Transmission Format = DVB-S, 4:2:0
FEC = ¾
Data Rate = 38.80 Mbps
Symbol Rate = 28.0681
Modulation: QPSK/DVB-S
NASA TV is also offered to all cable companies to carry, free of charge.

There's really no excuse for WOW not to add the channel.

Pentagon Channel is another free government channel.

The nice thing about the Pentagon Channel HD and NASA HD is that as both networks are government-run, all content they produce is in the public domain. As such, you can redistribute content from NASA and Pentagon to your heart's content to whatever venue you please.

If I lived in Kansas City one of the first things I would try with Google Fiber's network is putting up a C Band dish, grabbing NASA HD's feed (it's 720p @ ~15 Mbps), and putting it up as a live stream on the Internet. My amateur efforts would put NASA's current pathetic ~2 Mbps Ustream Internet stream to shame.

baess

said by 09129800:

said by baess:

It is already available over the air free to everyone, nationwide:
»www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/s···nfo.html

You gave a link to watch via the internet, not exactly OTA. So how would my father who doesn't have a computer watch?

He does have a TV.

join:2012-06-27
New York, NY
No I didn't. What part of NASA Television Is On Satellite AMC-18C do you not comprehend?

Put up a satellite antenna. Point it to the AMC 18 satellite at 105 degrees West. Tune into NASA TV HD for free with the signal that you are now receiving over the air.

The page I linked has all the information you need to tune into NASA via satellite antenna.