Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tsduke
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA

Outage in Waterloo

My HSI is offline in Waterloo. What's up?

ivorygate

join:2010-02-13

Yep, been down for hours now.

twhiting9275

join:2002-08-30
Waterloo, IA

1 edit
reply to tsduke

Been down since 11am here
Tried calling, the pathetic team that is mediacom can't be bothered to give us a real explanation , or pick up the phone.

3+ hours of this nonsense. What a crack team of 'technicians' these guys have here

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA
reply to tsduke

Over 5 hours now, with still absolutely zero support from Mediacom?
Someone, please do tell what we're (over)paying for here, because this level of support and lack of service is not worth anything.

FreedTech

join:2011-02-24
united state
reply to twhiting9275

As a tech who has been around for quite awhile I can assure you that the locals techs would be working hard to correct what ever problem there is. You have to remember there are only so many techs out there (not their fault, it is Mediacom's).

I don't go into the local grocery store and call the workers morons because they are out of bread.

Give them a break! If you have a problem with how things are handled maybe you should take it up with someone who can maybe change something. Not by "bashing" the techs.

And you have to remember 90% of all call center employees across the nation are nothing more than a message takers, not real technicians.

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

And as someone who has survived mor than my share of DC outages, due to cut fiber, etc, I know exactly what goes on here. If a tech can't get an outage fixed in an hour or less, they aren't qualified to call themselves a tech.

Yes, sometimes hardware is required, but there is NO EXCUSE for 5 hours of outage with ZERO communication to your clients. I don't care who you are, that is unprofessional. If I ran my business that way, I'd have been out of business before the first year .

chadwik

join:2002-02-02
Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

They probably installed a city wide data cap now. We hit our limit in the first week of the month. Now we are shut down until next month.

I came home from work and needed to order some bicycle parts. Spent an hour going through my equipment to see if it was on my end. My time is billed at $98 an hour at work, so I should get about a month and a half credit on my bill now.

Guess I get to tether for a while tonight.

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA

looks like it's back up now. The question is, for good or not?
Thank god for my iPad, at least I could get SOME work done!
C'mon Mediacom, you need to work on customer service here. This was one HELL of a let down.

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to tsduke

BTW, this is what happened, for those wanting to know what went on. Looks like the report is about an hour off, but it's essentially what happened. Yet another fiber cut. Been WAY too many of those the past couple years.

»www.kcrg.com/news/local/Severed-···256.html

calvinj

join:2011-08-16
united state
reply to tsduke

Seems a little more wide spread.. I'm in Newton and har no access either...

calvinj

united state

I take that back.. A restart of my router fixed my problems...

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
reply to twhiting9275

Can't anyone call Iowa One Call (or whatever it is)??
Some people (the construction crew) need to be slapped with a fine

tsduke
Premium
Waterloo, IA
reply to tsduke

What I wanna know is why Mediacom has a recording when you call saying "some" customers are experiencing "intermittent" outages. There's nothing intermittent about 6 hours of a complete outage.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:103

This outage should be repaired at this point. Keep me posted if you continue to see any issues.

calvinj

united state
reply to IowaMan

People should be putting a call to Iowa One Call, but then again you should take a look at the rules yourself. No bodies perfect.

Leksin

join:2009-12-14
Kendallville, IN
reply to tsduke

The internet here in Kendallville, IN has been out since relatively the same time. Don't quite mean to jump the thread, but the phone lines at our mediacom office have been "full" all day.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

It looks like there are still some issues that the technicians are working on. As soon as i have an update, I will let you guys know.

FreedTech

join:2011-02-24
united state
reply to twhiting9275

Sounds like you have never dealt with fiber!

Here is a link to help the fiber uneducated
»thefoa.org/tech/Fusion%20Splice%···king.pdf

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

We are getting word that the outage in Indiana has been resolved. Let me know if you have any other issues.

Nexis

join:2002-04-29
USA
Reviews:
·US Cellular
reply to tsduke

Keep in mind that when dealing with a fiber cut, first you need to find the cut, then you need to figure out how much was damaged. If it is under ground fiber that was cut by a back hoe, it is possible, and quite common that even though the cut is visible in the trench below you the damage extends 10 to 20 ft in both directions due to the pulling force of the equipment. So you have to dig up back to good fiber that you can splice with, then keep digging back so you can get enough to get it up and on the table or into the trailer. You then need to splice in a chunk of fiber and move to the other side. Dig that up, get it in and splice it. So when you have a fiber cut, everything you do, you have to do twice in most cases. So 6 hours on what I think is a 48 count is pretty good.

tsduke
Premium
Waterloo, IA

I know all about fiber. I wasn't even complaining about the 6 hours per say. What I was complaining about is that 1-The message didn't say there was a fiber cut & 2-They message called it intermittent.

For some reason companies don't find it necessary to be up front and honest. Especially Mediacom.

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by tsduke:

I know all about fiber. I wasn't even complaining about the 6 hours per say. What I was complaining about is that 1-The message didn't say there was a fiber cut & 2-They message called it intermittent.

Exactly. We all know these things happen. What's not appreciated here is the complete lack of honesty, lack of support from Mediacom on this issue.

If you tried calling in during this 6 hour outage, you just got a message that was recorded. No updates, same message for hours on end. You couldn't even get THROUGH to a real person (I tried a few times), the message basically said "we don't care about your business".

This is not how you deal with customers, period.

tsduke
Premium
Waterloo, IA

And the thing is if the message would have said "fiber cut" most people wouldn't have tried calling multiple times. And I'll guarantee they were.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to twhiting9275

OK do you guys seriously expect that the automated system will have specifics about an outage? Also when the system is overloaded you simply can't get through. As simple as that. The system can't handle more calls and the only thing you can do is wait.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

ya know it amazes me in 2012 mediacom does not have redundant fiber to use if they have these problems. This is what the 7th fiber cut in 2 months? I mean come on go over to the comcast forums you dont read about fiber cuts. Either mediacom does not know how to mark were there lines are run or they are not buried to depth. If there on a pole well then thats another story. My point is mediacom has all there eggs in one basket with att. Get another bandwidth provider and make sure you have redundant systems.

tsduke
Premium
Waterloo, IA
reply to Anonymous

Yes, actually I do. It's 2012 and with today's technology we aren't talking about rocket science to make it happen. If the CR Gazette can post it online I would think Mediacom could change the audio of the automated message one they know what it is. Especially for a longer outage.

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Anonymous

A> It's 2012 as someone else said. All it takes is 5 MINUTES to change the damn message to something else

B> This wasn't as simple as "nobody getting through". People were getting through, left and right, however, those of us in affected areas were being lied to, and hung up on.

Mediacom has demonstrated they have the tech to tell when a person is calling from an affected area in the past. What they've shown here, in this incident is that they ALSO have the lack of care and concern for their clients to just hang up on them.

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

they turn the lines off from effected areas period. how do I know I used my google voice number which is in another area code and got thru and couldnt get thru on my local cell number. So instead of giving good customer service mediacom just pulls the plug on the effected areas.

OldCableGuy

@communications.net
reply to Anonymous

That is BS. My power company (Alliant Energy) can pinpoint if you are part of a known outage or not just based on your telephone number. You can go to their "report an outage" webpage (mobile friendly) or call a toll free 1-800 number.

Electricity is a one-way service. If THEY can figure it out, Mediacom certainly can.

And the Mediacom system is only "overloaded" because they don't have enough inbound telephone lines.

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

Mediacom knows when you're in an outage. That's why we weren't able to get through, they cut us off, deliberately.

If the phone line is overloaded, you don't even get an automated message, you get a busy signal. Given that Mediacom's got their own phone service (ie: VOIP), I'd be surprised if they don't have something like that going on at their call centers as well. Cut corners everywhere you can.