how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bruintennis

join:2012-08-06
Monterey Park, CA

2 edits

U-Verse or Charter internet??? Planning to switch soon.

Hello! I'm thinking of switching to either U-Verse or Charter internet (only) and getting rid of my AT&T home phone. I'm in the Los Angeles area and was wondering which might be better for my area. U-Verse offers 6Mbps for $24.95/month or 12Mbps for $29.95/month without home phone where as Charter offers 30Mbps for $29.99/month.

AT&T has a self-install option and Charter charges $19.99 for installation. U-Verse has a monthly 250GB cap and Charter has a 250GB cap for the Plus (30Mbps) tier.

I previously used AT&T DSL and it was fine. I'm thinking of switching in the next month or so. What do you like better and why?

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
said by bruintennis:

...getting rid of my AT&T home phone. I'm in the Los Angeles area and was wondering which might be better for my area. U-Verse offers 6Mbps for $24.95/month or 12Mbps for $29.95/month without home phone where as Charter offers 30Mbps for $29.99/month.

AT&T has a self-install option and Charter charges $19.99 for installation. U-Verse has a monthly 250GB cap and Charter has a 250GB cap for the Plus (30Mbps) tier.
...What do you like better and why?

If you're not getting UVerse TV or UVerse VoIP, unless explicitly stated otherwise in writing, AT&T will charge you $100 for the 3600 HGV VDSL internet-only modem. That is, unless you can get IP-DSLAM, and I think that modem is somewhat cheaper.

There are some circumstances where you may get a free modem (such as, they are decommissioning your local ADSL equipment, a bundle deal, they screw up the order, you go into a retail store) but don't count on it.

Also remember once you give up ADSL, you will never be able to get it back again.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA
I didn't realize AT&T was phasing out DSL and you can't get it back. I had AT&T DSL with no problems, but after my promo price ended, they wouldn't give me a better price, so I switched to DSL Extreme (they lease AT&T lines) and when I went to cancel AT&T DSL, then they offered me the promo pricing, but it was too late then since I had already signed up for DSL Extreme.

Also, I would rather not pay for the modem. Charter is having a special now where the modem is free.

UverseTech

join:2012-08-04
reply to bruintennis
you get more for your money with charter, plus the self install usually turns into a tech install = failed self install = $150, pay the $19.99 and get much faster internet.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to bruintennis
said by bruintennis:

Also, I would rather not pay for the modem. Charter is having a special now where the modem is free.

If you don't like Charter, you can always call AT&T and ask if they will beat what Charter is offering. Just make sure they don't try to slip in the modem fee, install fees, or a 6-month promo price where Charter was giving you 12 months. And so on. In other words, check the standard terms and any add-on terms. I agree, probably not worth it.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ArgMeMatey
said by ArgMeMatey:

If you're not getting UVerse TV or UVerse VoIP, unless explicitly stated otherwise in writing, AT&T will charge you $100 for the 3600 HGV VDSL internet-only modem. That is, unless you can get IP-DSLAM, and I think that modem is somewhat cheaper..."

Locally, in Milwaukee, if you end up with the IP-DSL service, instead of VDSL, the modem may be a rebate on it as well for about $100, [I ordered Uverse phone / IP-DSL service... and have to wait about 2 weeks for the appointment.- But they waived the install charge for me.]

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to bruintennis
Also note that AT&T requires a 1-year contract and (for IPDSLAM) charges $100 for the modem/router. There is also no such thing as "bridge mode" with their modem/router, so you're stuck using it even if you wanted to use your own.

/M

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA
Thanks for the insight and replies!!!

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA
Also looks like AT&T charges an installation fee of $149 plus $6/month for the modem (in Los Angeles).

DRNewcomb

join:2012-07-25
Long Beach, MS
reply to bruintennis
Given the scenario you outlined, I'd go with Charter. Just MHO. I'd rather deal with a regular DOCSIS cable modem than that *&$%^ U-verse RG. With some companies you'll actually get basic TV along with Internet as they have no way to block that. Don't know about Charter.

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA
Thanks KRNewcomb for the reply. I'm leaning towards charter because they don't have the higher installation fee ($149 compared to $19.99) and the monthly $6.00 modem lease fee.

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net
If you are a U-verse internet customer only, you purchase the gateway for $100 and there is no $6 monthly equipment fee. In instances, you may be able to have the installation fee waived.

If you are a U-verse TV and internet customer, the installation fee is waived; however, however the gateway used incurs the $6 monthly equipment fee.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by Rangersfan :

If you are a U-verse internet customer only, you purchase the gateway for $100 and there is no $6 monthly equipment fee. In instances, you may be able to have the installation fee waived.

If you are a U-verse TV and internet customer, the installation fee is waived; however, however the gateway used incurs the $6 monthly equipment fee.

On point 1, not always. If you are FTTP U-Verse or Pair Bonded FTTN U-Verse, there is no gateway purchase option. Even for Internet only, you must use the rented Modem/Gateway & pay the rental fee.

IPDSLAM & Single Pair FTTN U-Verse Internet only or VoIP + Internet customers buy the modem/Gateway up front for $100, and do not pay the rental fee

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA
How would I know which customer I would be?

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
If At&ts website only shows the Uverse Internet and U-Voice available... then you get the modem / gateway for $100

If not, [if it shows Uverse Tv, internet , and U-voice:you pay the rental fee for the modem / gateway; as your services would be provided by a V-Rad / FTTP [If your very fortunate... especially FTTP. ]