spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bruintennis

join:2012-08-06
Monterey Park, CA

Charter or U-Verse Internet?? Thinking of switching soon.

Hello! I'm thinking of switching to either U-Verse or Charter internet (only) and getting rid of my AT&T home phone. I'm in the Los Angeles area and was wondering which might be better for my area. U-Verse offers 6Mbps for $24.95/month or 12Mbps for $29.95/month without home phone where as Charter offers 30Mbps for $29.99/month.

AT&T has a self-install option and Charter charges $19.99 for installation. U-Verse has a monthly 250GB cap and I'm not sure what the Charter Cap is.

I previously used AT&T DSL and it was fine. I'm thinking of switching in the next month or so. What do you like better and why?

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by bruintennis:

Hello! I'm thinking of switching to either U-Verse or Charter internet (only) and getting rid of my AT&T home phone. I'm in the Los Angeles area and was wondering which might be better for my area. U-Verse offers 6Mbps for $24.95/month or 12Mbps for $29.95/month without home phone where as Charter offers 30Mbps for $29.99/month.

AT&T has a self-install option and Charter charges $19.99 for installation. U-Verse has a monthly 250GB cap and I'm not sure what the Charter Cap is.

I previously used AT&T DSL and it was fine. I'm thinking of switching in the next month or so. What do you like better and why?

charters caps 250 on the 30 mbps as the cap go over to many tiems your need to switch to a bussnuss account or go without internet

at&t on the other hande has a 250 gigabyte cap but i dont think its enforced and even if it was it has option of paying 10 dollars per 50 gig over cap so it has a slight advantage there

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
its been said before that AT&T will and does kick people off for going over the cap, and I have yet to hear of anyone being kicked off for going over the charter cap.

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA
Found this on the Charter cap:

The Service is for residential use and only within limits that Charter considers reasonable for the service level to which Customer subscribes. Residential service usage for Customers subscribing to the Lite or Express packages should not exceed 100 Gigabytes ("GB") of data per month. Usage for Customers subscribing to the Plus (30Mbps) or Max packages should not exceed 250 GB of data per month and usage for Customers subscribing to the Ultra100 (100Mbps) package should not exceed 500 GB of data per month. Charter reserves the right to revise or implement additional usage limits at any time.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to bruintennis
I think the choice between 12 Mbps for $29.95 or 30 Mbps for $29.99 is pretty obvious to me. Not to mention Charter has a much higher upload. What is U-verse 1 Mbps?

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
said by 88615298:

What is U-verse 1 Mbps?

I think its still 890k in some markets.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Chubbysumo
said by Chubbysumo:

its been said before that AT&T will and does kick people off for going over the cap, and I have yet to hear of anyone being kicked off for going over the charter cap.

I have never heard of anybody with AT&T being terminated for going over their cap. AFAIK, they still don't enforce the 250 GB cap on U-verse. I've read of folks being billed for going over the 150 GB cap on their legacy ADSL service. But being billed for overage is not the same as "being kicked off".

AT&T will cancel your service if you don't pay your bill; but that isn't different from any other service.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA
reply to 88615298
So Charter!

Other than speed, is there any issues I should know about for either U-Verse or Charter?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Chubbysumo
said by Chubbysumo:

said by 88615298:

What is U-verse 1 Mbps?

I think its still 890k in some markets.

U-verse Internet is either ADSL2+ or VDSL. I believe the lower ADSL2+ tiers have the same uploads as their ADSL counterparts (.512 Mbs and .768 Mbs), but the ADSL2+ tiers at 6 Mbs, and faster, and VDSL tiers will be either 1 Mbs up, or 1.5 Mbs up.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2
reply to bruintennis
said by bruintennis:

Other than speed, is there any issues I should know about for either U-Verse or Charter?

I am biased, because I hate telephones period, but I think you will be happier with Charter customer service if you avoid their phone system, and use the Direct Forum here at BBR to resolve any problems you may have, or make any changes you wish in your service. Their employees here do a very good job, and I think are an added benefit of choosing Charter.

I've been with Charter 8+ years and I prefer them to the AT&T service I had prior, but it was not U-Verse.

nineten11

@charter.com
reply to bruintennis
The issues really based off of your location. I have had both and prefer charter. This is not even a question in my mind on what you should do. If you are having problems with charter then at least you have a decent backup.

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA
Thank you for the answers and replies!

Is there any issue with users in the neighborhood? If more people use Charter or U-Verse in the neighborhood, then will my speeds become slower?

jp16

join:2010-05-04
united state
Yes and no... I am on the 30 Mb plan. For the most part my slowest tests have been in the 31 - 32 range. What I would think to be off peak I get anywhere from 40 to 50. On a rare occasion I may go below 30 but thats not too common.

taco_hell

join:2001-09-16
Miami, FL
reply to bruintennis
Uverse charges 300 for installation and equipment, unless you get the tv service

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA
reply to bruintennis
that depends on whether you just want Internet or "fast Internet". Will u take advantage of faster Internet? Do u frequently download movies or games? If not either of them is fine, just if you choose U-Verse pick at least 12mb which should be available for self-install (then you buy instead of rent gateway for $100 that may qualify for $100 Visa card rebate). Its more than enough for most things, definitely streaming Youtube HD videos unless u're not the only one person in household who would use it at the same time. U can always get faster 18 or 24mb and try out their U-Verse TV for promotional period. With TV installation, pro install fee is waived and you only pay for activation.

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA
Thanks for the insight and replies! I may try Charter first because there's no contract, it's faster for same price, and $19.99 installation fee.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
reply to bruintennis
UVERSE internet by itself.....You'll pay $100 for the gateway/router/modem. There are NO REBATES for internet only.
$100 will be a charge on the order!

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA
If I went the U-Verse route, I would definitely order TV and Internet, so the install would be free, then cancel the TV within 30 days.

I learned this through dslreports and you guys. Thanks!

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
reply to bruintennis
I would get DirecTV HD for TV and Charter's $29.99 30/4 for internet.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

pinky321

join:2002-06-05
reply to bruintennis
For Monterey Park, CA, actually for west part of San Gabriel Valley, both Charter Internet and AT&T U-verse are bad if compare with Charter Internet in Long Beach, CA and Verizon FiOS due to lack of Verizon FiOS so charter does not have to compete. I would try the cheapest offer first, if there is problem that really bother you then try the other one. If both is about the same, switch back and forth every year or two to take advantage of introductory offer.

Gillingham

join:2012-05-10
Pasadena, CA
reply to bruintennis
Note that the new charter internet tiers force you to use their modem so you can no longer save the modem lease fees by purchasing your own DOCIS 3 and using that.
Uverse will let you pay a one time fee to buy the modem/router.

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA
reply to pinky321
Thanks Pinky321 for the advice. I'll have to calculate who is the cheapest, but it looks like Charter is cheaper now. $29.99/month for 30Mbps and a $19.99 installation fee with free modem.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to taco_hell
that install charge of $300 depends on your area. Ohio doesn't have the $300- fits actually much less and you can get it for free without TV.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to compuguybna
you can purchase them from eBay and you don't have to pay the fee. I have 2 of them actually if ya want one . Brand new never used.

crohakon1

@charter.com
reply to Gillingham
said by Gillingham:

Note that the new charter internet tiers force you to use their modem so you can no longer save the modem lease fees by purchasing your own DOCIS 3 and using that.
Uverse will let you pay a one time fee to buy the modem/router.

Note that Charter no longer charges a modem lease fee. So you will not save money by purchasing your own, you will only lose it when they inform you that you cannot use your modem. The reason behind Charter not allowing customer owned modems is most likely linked to the large scandal in Oregon where someone was selling hacked modems to Charter customers that were ignoring bandwidth restrictions thus causing node overloads and degrading internet quality for others on the node. While I understand the desire for having your own modem, I do see why Charter is now requiring you to have a company owned and provisioned modem.

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA

1 edit
That's interesting about the hacked modems.

For Los Angeles, AT&T charges an installation fee of $150.00 and a modem rental fee of $6.00/month, so looks like I will give Charter a try.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to bruintennis
Ordinarily I would say Charter. Due to the recent pricing shakeups, I would say investigate a little further.
The recent price increases (spun as decreases compared to "standard" pricing) by Charter should be considered.
I would look at what each will cost AFTER the promo period is up.

Right now, I have a fantastic "promo" price from Charter for the 100 Mbps plan @ $60. When the "promo" expires, I understand the price will jump to $110. I only went with the 100 Mbps plan due to caps (we stream much of our TV content).

I'm hoping this pricing / modem "shakeup" by Charter bites them in the ass and things change before my "promo" expires. Otherwise I'll be looking real hard at DSL again.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA
Thanks Nunya. Could you elaborate on the pricing shakeups? I only recently started looking at Charter, so the $29.99/month for 30MBps is the only rate I saw (promo price).

CL

@charter.com
reply to bruintennis
We just decided to switch from Charter to AT&T Uverse, TV and Phone.

Set up the installation for next week, paying $110 early termination fee to Charter for cancelling before expiration of agreement, SAVING $147 installation fees from AT&T and getting a 12 month contract with a $41 a month savings.

Reasoning simple for us, WE SAVE 50% TOTAL on our new Uverse bill compared to our present Charter bill, $100 a month!

We had the Ultra internet speed from Charter, did speed tests, never got above 55mbps download, that "up to..." saves Charter's rear.

Yes, the internet will be a bit slower, but so what, it will still do everything we want it to do.

During the past 3 weeks, our internet with Charter has gone down 8 times, that is unacceptable, a Charter truck regularly is at the end of our street "working," on whatever.

Not happy with Charter at all.

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA
Thanks CL for the reply. What city/area are you in?