how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gillingham

join:2012-05-10
Pasadena, CA
reply to bruintennis

Re: Charter or U-Verse Internet?? Thinking of switching soon.

Note that the new charter internet tiers force you to use their modem so you can no longer save the modem lease fees by purchasing your own DOCIS 3 and using that.
Uverse will let you pay a one time fee to buy the modem/router.

bruintennis

join:2012-08-06
Monterey Park, CA
reply to pinky321

Thanks Pinky321 for the advice. I'll have to calculate who is the cheapest, but it looks like Charter is cheaper now. $29.99/month for 30Mbps and a $19.99 installation fee with free modem.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to taco_hell

that install charge of $300 depends on your area. Ohio doesn't have the $300- fits actually much less and you can get it for free without TV.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to compuguybna

you can purchase them from eBay and you don't have to pay the fee. I have 2 of them actually if ya want one . Brand new never used.

crohakon1

@charter.com
reply to Gillingham

said by Gillingham:

Note that the new charter internet tiers force you to use their modem so you can no longer save the modem lease fees by purchasing your own DOCIS 3 and using that.
Uverse will let you pay a one time fee to buy the modem/router.

Note that Charter no longer charges a modem lease fee. So you will not save money by purchasing your own, you will only lose it when they inform you that you cannot use your modem. The reason behind Charter not allowing customer owned modems is most likely linked to the large scandal in Oregon where someone was selling hacked modems to Charter customers that were ignoring bandwidth restrictions thus causing node overloads and degrading internet quality for others on the node. While I understand the desire for having your own modem, I do see why Charter is now requiring you to have a company owned and provisioned modem.

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA

1 edit

That's interesting about the hacked modems.

For Los Angeles, AT&T charges an installation fee of $150.00 and a modem rental fee of $6.00/month, so looks like I will give Charter a try.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to bruintennis

Ordinarily I would say Charter. Due to the recent pricing shakeups, I would say investigate a little further.
The recent price increases (spun as decreases compared to "standard" pricing) by Charter should be considered.
I would look at what each will cost AFTER the promo period is up.

Right now, I have a fantastic "promo" price from Charter for the 100 Mbps plan @ $60. When the "promo" expires, I understand the price will jump to $110. I only went with the 100 Mbps plan due to caps (we stream much of our TV content).

I'm hoping this pricing / modem "shakeup" by Charter bites them in the ass and things change before my "promo" expires. Otherwise I'll be looking real hard at DSL again.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA

Thanks Nunya. Could you elaborate on the pricing shakeups? I only recently started looking at Charter, so the $29.99/month for 30MBps is the only rate I saw (promo price).

CL

@charter.com
reply to bruintennis

We just decided to switch from Charter to AT&T Uverse, TV and Phone.

Set up the installation for next week, paying $110 early termination fee to Charter for cancelling before expiration of agreement, SAVING $147 installation fees from AT&T and getting a 12 month contract with a $41 a month savings.

Reasoning simple for us, WE SAVE 50% TOTAL on our new Uverse bill compared to our present Charter bill, $100 a month!

We had the Ultra internet speed from Charter, did speed tests, never got above 55mbps download, that "up to..." saves Charter's rear.

Yes, the internet will be a bit slower, but so what, it will still do everything we want it to do.

During the past 3 weeks, our internet with Charter has gone down 8 times, that is unacceptable, a Charter truck regularly is at the end of our street "working," on whatever.

Not happy with Charter at all.

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA

Thanks CL for the reply. What city/area are you in?

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to CL

Well, we've never had internet problems with Charter. I'm paying $95/month for TV and 30Mb. For some reason, TV has been acting up the past few weeks but, usually, when it works, it works, when it doesn't, they go down hard.

I despise ATT with a purple passion after decades of dealing with them.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

I would feel "blessed" to have AT&T as an option. Our only other wired choice is CenturyLink. They are expensive. They used to have good service, but apparently it went to hell in a hand basket.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

My wife got ATT for her mother. Everything went well, and it works fine for them, but then they had to make some change to the service and it's been pure hell. She spent 4 hours on the phone one day being transferred from department to department, getting disconnected between each one and, of course, each department disavowing responsibility for anything.

Typical. For years ATT would sell me DSL to my home where DSL was never available. Sent me modems, manuals. Even once sent a tech to install it.

Of course, when DSL did become available, it wasn't much faster then dialup, but their excuse was we were too far from the CO. So why was I paying more for DSL?

And these are the milder stories.

bashful9999

join:2006-02-18
Geneva, IL
reply to bruintennis

I've been a Uverse subscriber since 2010. Full boat..U450 TV package, 2 phone lines and highest speed tier they offered. I just relocated to an area that isn't served by Uverse and so switched to Charter. The tiers don't exactly match up, but I did get the current "Gold" package offered...30 HSI, 1 phone line and highest TV tier offered.

Most notable comparisons to me between the two:

TV:
Picture quality is similar, although for high-speed action flicks or movies with a lot of dark tones, Charter looks better in HD. I don't like the "delay" Charter boxes go thru when switching between resolution modes...not sure what is up with that. Wasn't ever an issue with Uverse. And the Guide and channel layout on the Charter boxes is soooo 1990 looking. I really enjoyed Uverse's on-screen display feature set. Charter really needs to upgrade in that regards. I am REALLY missing the whole-house DVR feature of Uverse. I did buy DVR's for all my STB's which helps a bit (and is nice in some ways....kids stuff stays on kids TV, etc.). But I have already found myself wishing I could watch a show recorded on one DVR on a different TV set. I also miss all the little iPhone apps that would let me take TV shows with me and/or control my DVR when away from home. Haven't found a Charter equivalent to that yet. But overall, I can live with Charter's lower-tech status as the TV picture is really pretty good in HD. Uverse also suffered sporadic digital fractures where you'd have a full day of the sound cutting out every 30 seconds, or a night when the picture would freeze every few minutes. There was never any rhyme or reason for this. So far, Charter is binary...it either works as intended, or its out completely. Fortunately, only one minor (5 minute) outtage thus far.

Phone:
Charter actually sounds far, far better than Uverse ever did. I had a lot of Uverse issues with the phone quality...static, bleed-thru from the residential gateway device, etc. Again, I miss the Uverse digital extension app that would let you know when you had voice mail on your home line via the iPhone app. But honestly, I was about to abandon my home phone line completely with Uverse since it was swamped with telemarketers anyways so....its a toss up. Charter was so cheap to get a phone line I just opted to keep it as part of the bundle.

Internet:
Since I'm on the 30 package with Charter, it is similar in speed to Uverse' top speed tier. My biggest finding thus far is that Charter is again a bit more binary here. Either you get the top speeds or you don't. Uverse would always work, but my speeds were all over the place. Sometimes I'd get all the bandwidth I was paying for, and lots of other times, I'd get half of that or less. Charter is either all on or all off. The bigger difference to me is more of a hardware thing. With Uverse, you had to use their Residential Gateway router. You could hook up your own wifi AP to it, but there were some settings that were defaulted on the RG that you just had to live with. I enjoy being able to hook up my own AP to the Charter modem and set things up the way I want. But generally....its a wash otherwise. I'd obviously feel different if I was on the 100 tier package.

Price:
I was way, way off-contract with Uverse. But my monthly bill was almost $300/month with the two phone lines, U450 and HSI. I tweaked it down in the past couple months of using them (eliminated both phone lines and dropped to a 12 HSI package) but my bill still sat at around $160/month. With Charter, I'm at $170/month WITH phone service AND faster HSI. So I think I'm coming out ahead in terms of raw content/service per dollar. But I do miss the polish of Uverse. It was pretty slick.

dbslayer
Premium
join:2009-08-18
Covington, LA
reply to bruintennis

I get my TV from Dish and have Charter for internet. Charter has been great since I switched from ATT in 2009. Reliable and fast .. really fast!

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA

Darn...Charter just increased their prices. Now, it's $39.99/month for 30Mbps (instead of $29.99/month). I was going to switch to Charter for sure, but now I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Bob2345

@pacbell.net

Yeah at $29.99 it was worth it from switching to DSL. It was cheaper and way faster. Now, not so much. Especially when coupled with it being a temporary price.

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA

yes, i'm kicking myself right now for not switching sooner.

wgfinley

join:2000-06-13
Round Lake, IL
Reviews:
·TDS
reply to bruintennis

Hope the threat isn't too dead to revive but I also need to chime in with some facts about Uverse, I don't know where some people are getting information.

I got Uverse when it first hit market in Illinois, I want to say it was 2006 or 2007, I'm still on the same RG and STBs since then although there are new ones. Speeds gradually went up over time but I don't recall upload ever being under 1. For some time I was on the Max tier and 23/3 was usually the number for me. Will you find some cable speeds faster? Yes, but will it be stable and up?

I've since come up to Wisconsin and have Charter now. In a couple of months I've been down more than I was all those years on Uverse. Uverse is very solid service, I can only remember one outage that was of any significance and I don't even think it was an hour. Despite having a tech out I seem to be routinely down on Charter.

I also miss my DVR. You don't know what a pain it is to only be able to have two HD streams going until you find yourself in that situation. I loved on Uverse I could have up to 4 HD streams, never ran into a "can't record this because this is recording and I'm watching this" on Uverse. Again, it's routine now in Charter.

The Charter Direct forum has been great, I quickly have gotten issues taken care of and up until tonight I haven't been down since the tech was out a month or so ago.

All that said Charter seems to have some decent pricing, can't argue that. I was mega-bundled with AT&T so that was some bill but if you go over it, figure out what you really need it's reasonable, they definitely seem to load things to make you want that 450 "everything" tier. Good luck with the decision.

bruintennis

Monterey Park, CA

Thanks for the reply wgfinley! I was hoping Charter would reduce the price again to $29.99/month, but for October they kept it at $39.99/month unless you bundle.

lemonade

join:2003-12-13
Los Angeles, CA

Hey it's back to 29.99 again! You need to type in your zip code and it will say "WEB ONLY" on the right bottom. 29.99 + 19.99 installation, free modem and 30mbps sound like a good deal to me, just switched from att dry loop 3Mb DSL