Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

point125

join:2012-08-06
reply to trythisfirst

Re: [Connectivity] "not servicable" despite trunk line

said by gar187er:

an amp is less then 100' down the road? you know that between poles is about 150'...so there is an amp right out in front of your house?

if so then you would need only pay for the hardline to be run back to your house....but again, his isnt a normal install....construction department would be involved

Yes, there's actually 3 poles right out in front of the driveway spaced much closer then normal for all the utilities to the houses (4 driveways come out right there), the amplifier is at the closest normally spaced pole no more then 200 feet away, I would say 100, but it's a bit of a guess.

said by trythisfirst :

The only problem is you cant be more than 250' from the trunk line. If you are you are considered unserviceable, the node has nothing to do with your problem. Best bet is ask to have a site survey done. They will then discuss how much, and who is on the hook for the amount. They may or may not be required to build out to you at no cost since you are that far away.

Why cant I request that they drop down to the front of my drive and I have the connection completed there like I assume a new house with that much of a setback would be constructed?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

said by point125:

Why cant I request that they drop down to the front of my drive and I have the connection completed there like I assume a new house with that much of a setback would be constructed?

If they end the drop at the front of your driveway (1000' from your house), you won't have enough signal to do anything with once at your house.

To get the signal to your house, they need to do a cable plant extension so there will be a tap within 250' of your house.

A simple drop 250' or less = free or low cost install.

A plant extension to make a 250' drop (less is better) possible = pay for construction of cable plant.

Average construction costs for cable plant $5-10 per foot. Talk to the local cable construction manager to get a better estimate.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

point125

join:2012-08-06

said by DrDrew:

If they end the drop at the front of your driveway (1000' from your house), you won't have enough signal to do anything with once at your house.

Well I was thinking about one of the work around I had read about like using a directional wireless, or maybe some sort of Ethernet run with extenders or some other jerry-rigged setup.

The biggest problem I'm having is the reps I've spoken to have said it's yes or no with no gray area, and it's no for me, and I've been haven't been able to get to anyone who would even consider having me pay for the connection.

But I will try calling the local office rather then the 1800 number tomorrow instead, and try to get to a construction manager.

Again, thank you very much for the help.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

comcast wont go for it. talk to construction. and talk with your town/city council about your franchise agreement, as that dictates what comcast is entitled to do to get you service.
--
I'm better than you!