spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mclasser

join:2011-12-12

[VA] SNR fluctuations

Im in Northern VA, and all day today I've had issues with my signal-to-noise ratio rapidly fluctuating. I'm on the Preferred plan and still have a Scientific Atlanta DOCSIS 2.0 modem (yeah, I know). My connection has been pretty stable for the past 6 years at this address. Usually, the SNR stays above 36 dB and rarely moves around; today it has been anywhere from 35 to 28 dB. This has equated to painfully slow page loads and d/l speeds maxing out at about 1.5 Mbps (when directly connected to the modem and on wi-fi). I tried changing out the coax cable between the wall and modem to no avail. There are also no splitters inside the house. Anybody else in the area experiencing such issues?

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by mclasser:

Im in Northern VA, and all day today I've had issues with my signal-to-noise ratio rapidly fluctuating. I'm on the Preferred plan and still have a Scientific Atlanta DOCSIS 2.0 modem (yeah, I know). My connection has been pretty stable for the past 6 years at this address. Usually, the SNR stays above 36 dB and rarely moves around; today it has been anywhere from 35 to 28 dB. This has equated to painfully slow page loads and d/l speeds maxing out at about 1.5 Mbps (when directly connected to the modem and on wi-fi). I tried changing out the coax cable between the wall and modem to no avail. There are also no splitters inside the house. Anybody else in the area experiencing such issues?

Well depending on how old the modem is, it may be time to replace the modem. As a failing modem can start to have problems with signal levels, and such.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

to add make sure the modems on the approved list

mclasser

join:2011-12-12

Just picked up and installed a Motorola SB6121 and everything is working fine again. Two techs came out and replaced every possible wire, connector and splitter and the problem was still there. So far I'm loving this modem and the access to bonded channels.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by mclasser:

Just picked up and installed a Motorola SB6121 and everything is working fine again. Two techs came out and replaced every possible wire, connector and splitter and the problem was still there. So far I'm loving this modem and the access to bonded channels.

Well I am happy everything is working good with your new modem. Most likely the old modem was going bad, and was just time to replace it with a newer D3 modem.