join:2001-06-29

2 edits

1 recommendation

[Info] MS blocks WIN8 Start button, boot-to-desktop hacks

quote:
Gregg Keizer
August 6, 2012 (Computerworld

Microsoft blocks Windows 8 Start button, boot-to-desktop hacks
Leaked copies of Windows 8 RTM cripple tweaks, says Windows 8 Secrets author.

Microsoft has blocked a popular work-around that let users boot directly to the Windows 8 desktop, a co-author of an upcoming book on the operating system confirmed today.

"Microsoft made some changes to Windows that prevent the .scf hack from working correctly," said Rafael Rivera in an email reply to questions. Rivera blogs at WithinWindows.com and along with Paul Thurrott, is the co-author of Windows 8 Secrets, a book slated for release next month.

The ".scf hack" Rivera referred to was first disclosed in April, and allowed users of Windows 8 Consumer Preview to circumvent the tile-based Start screen and automatically shift to the familiar desktop after logging on.

Well-known ZDNet blogger Mary Jo Foley first reported Rivera's conclusions earlier Monday. She also said other hacks, including some that restore the Start button to Windows 8, have been blocked.

The changes were made by Microsoft before it announced the Windows 8 RTM, or "release to manufacturing," milestone last week. Final copies of Windows 8 Enterprise leaked to file-sharing websites a day later.

But Rivera hinted that other tweaks may be able to skirt Microsoft's lock-down.

"There's always a thousand more ways to skin a cat," he said.

More @ »www.computerworld.com/s/article/···myId=125
--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 recommendation

Of course because Microsoft giving users a choice is beyond them if they want to use Windows 8 starting with that Ribbon garbage in Office 2007.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to Gone Fishing
Another clip from the excellent article. Thanks !
quote:
At boot, Windows 8 presents a log on screen where the user must enter a Windows ID; at that point, the Start screen appears.
--
Breaker One Nine.

btB

@rr.com
reply to Gone Fishing
Everybody knew this was going to happen, but what Microsoft did does not mean much anyway if you just want to use desktop + start menu in Windows 8.

So instead of using Microsoft's Start Menu, you could get some 3rd party's Start Menu instead.

Instead of booting to the desktop directly, something like Classic Shell will boot you into Metro but then within a second or so take you to desktop. So if your goal is to get to desktop without interacting Metro, it is still possible. Even if it were not possible, we are only talking one mouse click here.

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
yeah until they block that work around too.

why is this reminding me more and more of IOS...

btB

@rr.com
It is impossible for Microsoft to block an automated task of going from Metro to Desktop. Only way that can happen is that if Desktop mode is completely removed which I cannot imagine that happening anytime soon.

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to Gone Fishing
Only Microsoft would so stupidly remove/block fundamental OS features that end users want.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Pride is a commodity that costs them fortunes. Too bad it is all spent in vain.

--
Breaker One Nine.

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to Gone Fishing
Denys Nazarenko reports his Start Menu 7 - (current v4.45)
works fine on Win 8.
»www.startmenu7.com/index.html
--
Gladiator Security Forum: www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1
reply to lorennerol
said by lorennerol:

Only Microsoft would so stupidly remove/block fundamental OS features that end users want.

Sometimes what end users think they want isn't what's best. However, it remains to be seen if MS is doing what's best in this case.

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
said by Michail:

said by lorennerol:

Sometimes what end users think they want isn't what's best. However, it remains to be seen if MS is doing what's best in this case.

True. And it seems pretty clear-cut in this case: Wanting an option to enable Start button/classic desktop is not the same as wanting to download movie torrents or installing five active AV apps.

When you have IT Pros and corporate IT depts saying, "Please give us a choice in this" and you ignore them, going as far as disabling 3rd-party solutions, you're pissing off the wrong people unnecessarily.

The Metro interface is so counter-intuitive and obtuse to me that I find myself starting OS components (like the control panel) from the *Task Manager*. I don't see how any large IT support org is going to be able to handle the help desk calls for this OS, and therefore why they would ever bother with it. It's a Vista redux.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
We're not a "large" IT operation but we're not touching Windows 8 with a ten foot pole. I cannot imagine the support call volume we would get just from users looking for the Start button.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to lorennerol
Many administration tools are on the context menu you get when you right-click the Start button.

moes

Cedar City, UT
reply to btB
It's there OS, they can do what ever they want.

Maven
Premium
join:2002-03-12
Canada
reply to Gone Fishing
I wonder if this hack was inadvertently blocked, or whether Microsoft deliberately blocked it. I'm thinking the former. This is a lot of drama over nothing, I'm sure there will be plenty of options to boot into the traditional desktop.

It looks like this OS will get bad press, just like Vista and ME did. Seems to happen to every other MS OS.

btB

@rr.com
reply to moes
It is not an issue of whether MS wants to block Classic Shell, Start8, or some other program that is similar that goes to the desktop.

Reason is they all go to Metro first (how can MS block that?) but then selects the Desktop tile that is placed there by MS(how can MS block that?).

So in effect it seems like you are going directly to the desktop because you are not interacting with Metro. Of course it is obvious that you are indeed going to Metro first.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to moes
said by moes:

It's there OS, they can do what ever they want.

Yes, and its our money and we can buy what we want. That's the great thing about capitalism: if they make a product nobody wants, they'll be punished by the market.

moes

Cedar City, UT
Reviews:
·Revol Wireless
·Optimum Online
That is true too, I'm not trying to cause any arguments, just was saying they want to block things and prevent things they will find away of doing it. Once I figure out how to control my fans in nix, I'm moving to it. but no luck really thus far. hate having to vi things.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to lorennerol
said by lorennerol:

This feels very Apple-esque to me. Our way or no way.

btB

@rr.com
reply to moes
All I am saying that is while it may not be possible to go directly to Desktop, it will always be possible to go from Metro to Desktop. Hence, there will always be 3rd party solutions that work.

The difference between going to Metro first and then to Desktop is not some complicated/time-consuming procedure either. It is one mouse click if you do it yourself, or a second or two if you have a program doing it for you.

moes

Cedar City, UT
Reviews:
·Revol Wireless
·Optimum Online
well I was just making a point, but I'm not moving to it. it's not going to work well in the environment I am in and we've already decided since we just started moving to win7 we're not going to head off to 8. so next cycle will be in 2 years I think we've planned for.

Gone Fishing
Premium
join:2001-06-29
reply to Gone Fishing

Windows 8 feature - Boot to desktop

quote:
w w w . n e o w I n . n e t
...Windows 8 feature - Boot to desktop

The feature is hidden somewhere between the folder options. All you have to do is to go to options in any Explorer window, choose the 'view' tab and click on 'Restore previous folder windows at log-on'.

The system will boot to the desktop at startup, but only if you leave an explorer window open at shutdown. It's still a great way if you don't want to use special software, such as Stardock's Start8.

More @ »www.neowin.net/news/from-the-for···-desktop

--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC
reply to btB

Re: [Info] MS blocks WIN8 Start button, boot-to-desktop hacks

said by btB :

The difference between going to Metro first and then to Desktop is not some complicated/time-consuming procedure either. It is one mouse click if you do it yourself, or a second or two if you have a program doing it for you.

Sure. Think of it as the commercials that you have to sit through in the movie theatre before they show the Main Attraction. Oh wait, you probably don't know what a theatre is ...