join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

2 edits

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Just talking about DOCSIS 3.0 Rollout

Split from a topic about the NE speed upgrade because the D3 discussion was causing thread drift.
~sorto'
said by Mike Wolf:

Hmm? I've had D3 for about three years now. I was just saying I feel his pain in wanting something and having to wait so long, such as the "world of more" HD rollout, the speed increase, IPv6 activation, to name a few.

Wow, 3 years? We just got it up here a few months ago, I didn't think Comcast had been rolling it out that long.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Re: [Speed] Northeast speed changes coming.

Yeah it was right when I was going into college June of 2009. I know I was so excited. Did some digging and found my post
»DOCSIS 3.0 Available in Toms River, NJ area

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

1 recommendation

Sunny to RR Conductor

to RR Conductor
We started tracking the rollout in May 2008, but had been seeing reports of it for awhile before that.

pclover
join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA

pclover to RR Conductor

to RR Conductor

Re: Just talking about DOCSIS 3.0 Rollout

It didn't come to my area until last month.

Still no speed upgrades yet tho. I think they are coming.
spidershowl
join:2012-07-25
New York, NY

spidershowl to RR Conductor

to RR Conductor
DOCSIS 3.0 - Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification is an international telecommunications standard that permits the addition of high-speed data transfer to an existing cable TV (CATV) system. The first specification, version 1.0, was issued in March 1997 and this version of DOCSIS 3.0 was released in August 2006.
The National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA) estimated that U.S. cable operators would have D3 deployed to 77 percent of the nation's households by the end of 2011. Among which Comcast alone passes 52.38 million homes and businesses. But finally the Comcast CFO and Vice Chairman Michael Angelakis told the audience at Citigroup investor's conference in San Francisco that the rollout is "completed". It’s not clear if completed meant 100 percent is now truly D3-ready. Comcast has rolled out D3 at a steady pace ever since it debuted wide-band services in April 2008 in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minn., and its highest-end cable modem speed tiers currently tops out at 105Mbit/s downstream. Comcast has not revealed how many of its 17.81 million high-speed Internet customers subscribe to a D3 tier.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Good info, thanks everybody!