Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Santa Fe
Living With Diabetes.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:5
reply to FF4m3

Re: Is GNOME in Free Fall?

Found a link in the Ubuntu forums telling about Unity alternatives: »www.makeuseof.com/tag/5- ··· s-linux/

Saw this in the section about Xfce.
quote:
Did you know that Linus Torvalds, Linux’s creator, now uses XFCE? GNOME 3 pushed him to XFCE, just as KDE 4 pushed him to GNOME 2.

Hmmm if this IS true its kinda funny, but on the other hand, should anyone really Care which one he or anyone else uses?

Plus, it's Xfce not XFCE
--
Explore Xubuntu. Like It? Install It. [Love It]!

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to FF4m3
Wow, very interesting indeed.

FF4m3

@bhn.net
said by Maxo:

Wow, very interesting indeed.

Truly. It seems like Ubuntu has fired a 'warning shot' to put the Gnome folks on notice...

FF4m3

@bhn.net
reply to FF4m3
Debian to use Xfce as its standard desktop:

Developer Joey Hess, a member of the Debian Installer Team, has made a change to the tasksel Debian component that is used during the installation of Debian; the modification causes the software to install Xfce instead of GNOME as the distribution's standard desktop. Shortly afterwards, another modification defined Lightdm as the default log-in manager, replacing GNOME's GDM. Unless the developers have second thoughts, these modifications, which were made over a week ago, will affect Debian 7.0 (Wheezy), which is currently in development.

Commenting on his changes, Hess explained that the measures ensure that the standard desktop will fit on the first installation CD, which GNOME currently does not. Hess said that there may be other reasons to prefer Xfce as the default, but added that this is a complex and subjective topic. "Unfortunately, Debian does not have a well-defined procedure for making such choices," explained the developer, "So, I've decided to be bold, and continue the tradition of making an arbitrary desktop selection for Debian in tasksel".

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
This is a nice nod to the devs at Xfce (when did it change from XFCE4 to Xfce?).

I've never been a "one true religion" guy with respect to desktops, but I've been using Xfce for at least a decade and often encourage others to try it.

Except for a system I use only as a server, all of my machines have full KDE and GNOME installs because both DEs offer applications I like. Xfce is always the default, though because it strikes the right balance between fast/light/simple/utilitarian and features ... for me.

FF4m3

@bhn.net
said by No_Strings:

This is a nice nod to the devs at Xfce (when did it change from XFCE4 to Xfce?).

It's been a while.
said by Xfce Faq :

The name Xfce originally stood for XForms Common Environment, but since then, Xfce was rewritten twice and doesn't use XForms toolkit anymore. The name survived, but the F is nolonger capitalized (not “XFce”, but “Xfce”).

said by No_Strings:

I've never been a "one true religion" guy with respect to desktops, but I've been using Xfce for at least a decade and often encourage others to try it.

It's because of your suggestion that I first tried Xfce and really enjoyed it. It's like getting a free CPU speed boost.
said by No_Strings:

Xfce... strikes the right balance between fast/light/simple/utilitarian and features ... for me.

...and me. Thanks.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
You're quite welcome.