uniqs

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to arisk

to arisk

Re: Xplornet vs. Rocket/Turbo for rural dilemma

Sitting at Sauble Beach right now on Telus wireless 3G. But I keep getting a Sign up from MaximumISP on WiFi. This is new this year. Who? What technology? Packages seem competitive with Bell and Eastlink. I suspect they could sell a weekly access package for tourists, too.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by DKS:

Sitting at Sauble Beach right now on Telus wireless 3G. But I keep getting a Sign up from MaximumISP on WiFi. This is new this year. Who? What technology? Packages seem competitive with Bell and Eastlink. I suspect they could sell a weekly access package for tourists, too.

There's a company here in Fort Erie who makes their bread and butter off selling seasonal access to the American cottagers who come up during the summer. This is also the first summer that we've had Wind Mobile coverage all along the Lake Erie shore from Fort Erie to Port Colborne, and I have no doubt that Wind put those towers up to not only rake in on T-Mobile roaming but to also get in on net access. Should be interesting to see what effect that has on the Last Mile guys.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Gone:

I have no doubt that Wind put those towers up to not only rake in on T-Mobile roaming but to also get in on net access. Should be interesting to see what effect that has on the Last Mile guys.

Indeed, my phone can detect the tower in Barrie but can't sign on to it... if it did I wouldn't be looking into a WISP near my cottage.
scorpido
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02
Abbotsford, BC

scorpido to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

I know that MaximumISP has a very strong solid stable network, and well worth the money. It is fast and ping times are great. I'm not sure if it is new as of this year, but I know the guy who runs it and his wireless network is massive and he resells the same brand of equipment he uses for his network.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by scorpido:

said by DKS:

I know that MaximumISP has a very strong solid stable network, and well worth the money. It is fast and ping times are great. I'm not sure if it is new as of this year, but I know the guy who runs it and his wireless network is massive and he resells the same brand of equipment he uses for his network.

They show up as wireless-n. They weren't here last summer.