All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to Libra

to Libra

Re: Why is it bad to reboot a Windows PC?

said by Libra:

When this problem has happened all the buttons light up so I know the computer is running, just no display.

I've found that a lot of times you can cure this problem on a laptop by shutting the lid for a second or two, then reopening it. There is a magnetic (or other) switch that will detect the close/open, then send a internal signal to wake up the display.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

It is true that a "hard" shutdown is BAD for a computer, like others mentioned a power loss or using the power button to turn the computer off.

However a regular shut down using the OS to turn the PC off is not only healthy for the PC, it allows security and other needed patches to be applied, it also saves electricity and prevently unnecessary wear on mechanical components like the HDD, fans, and other mechanics parts, also even though the PC is being cooled by fans there is still constant source of heat being applid to the chips like the processor, and this can still if left running constantly degrade the thermal paste quicker than if you turn the unit off when not in use.

I have an 11 year old HP Pavilion 7955 that STILL sees daily use 12 hours a day and it has ALWAYS been turned off from 12 am until 12 pm, it still functions PERFECTLY.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

said by 15444104:

I have an 11 year old HP Pavilion 7955 that STILL sees daily use 12 hours a day and it has ALWAYS been turned off from 12 am until 12 pm, it still functions PERFECTLY.

I have a 866 Mhz Pentium III system that has pretty much been powered up since I got it (used) in 2002, and it still functions perfectly.
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra to scross

Premium Member

to scross
I've found that a lot of times you can cure this problem on a laptop by shutting the lid for a second or two, then reopening it. There is a magnetic (or other) switch that will detect the close/open, then send a internal signal to wake up the display.
~~~~~~~~~
scross,
Thank you for passing that tip along. I hope I don't experience that problem anymore, but if I do I'll keep this in mind.

Sincerely, Libra