I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

1 edit

SimbaSeven

Fixing up old reliable

Click for full size
I'll be slapping on a fresh copy of Gentoo on her soon. I've had her for ~8 years. She's been sitting in storage for ~3 years and decided to try Gentoo instead of the old FreeBSD install I had on her.

I'll probably throw some 74gb drives in to replace the old 9gb. Anyone know of a place I can get 147 or 300gb SCSI drives for dirt cheap or rescued from destruction?
Basshead89
join:2012-08-07
Modesto, CA

Basshead89

Wow, and old Proliant 6500. I had one up until about 4 years ago.... mine was fully loaded with all 4 processors!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven
I'd try e-bay

I remember an old 1600 that had the same style of drive, where as my 1600 has a newer style of scsi drive (the drive tray looks like it locks differently)

but if those are compatible I have 6x 18gb drives just laying around
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to SimbaSeven

to SimbaSeven
wow, what a flashback, i remember in 1999 as an intern unpacking these things and having people standing around ooohing and ahhing.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven
We still have a Compaq Proliant 3000 (tower on wheels form factor) at the office which is the main file server and print server.

It is soon to be decommissioned though. Just received the new HP DL360 G7 in the mail last week that will be replacing it.

I hate to be throwing it away after so many years of reliable service, but I have no use for it personally and I've been hoarding way too much old equipment lately.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

said by TheMG:

I hate to be throwing it away after so many years of reliable service, but I have no use for it personally and I've been hoarding way too much old equipment lately.

Use it as a backup or find it a new home.. or donate it to a thrift shop.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven
Did the lights flicker when you started her up?

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven to Basshead89

to Basshead89
Oh, this one is loaded. It has 4x PPro 200MHz 512k processors, 4GB of RAM, 7x9GB HDDs, a GigE NIC, and dual PS.

It looks like the HDDs are standard 80pin SCA drives with a funky Compaq adapter on them. I could probably take them apart and put in larger capacity drives.

I just found out the SCSI CD-ROM drive decided to not work anymore. Looks like I get to jump in my spares bin and grab another.

scrummie02
Bentley
Premium Member
join:2004-04-16
Arlington, VA

scrummie02 to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven
It also doubles as a 200 lb space heater!

i remember those when i worked in a datacenter in 1999-2000. They were top of the line then. We ran four MS Exchange 5.5 clusters on ten of those babies....

Modus
I hate smartassery on forums
Premium Member
join:2005-05-02
us

Modus to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven
whoa a blast from the past.....why would want to run that power hungry monster? is it some sort of attachment to it?

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

said by Modus:

whoa a blast from the past.....why would want to run that power hungry monster? is it some sort of attachment to it?

She won't quit. I've had her for 8 years and she's been rather.. tortured. She's been in a 100+F garage for years during the summer, 0F (or lower) in the winter. Only time she's been down is when there was a power outage, maxing out her memory, or moving.

I've seen newer servers die from being tortured for months. So, she stays until she finally gives up the ghost. I'm honestly surprised the hard drives are still spinning. Like I said, a freakin' die-hard.

Modus
I hate smartassery on forums
Premium Member
join:2005-05-02
us

Modus

Premium Member

it may never give up the ghost....i've only had 1 server actually die on me in my 12+ years. if i didnt get rid of them they would still be around

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Ya those old servers are just so reliable. TThey knew how to build them back then.

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

removed to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven
Any idea how many watts this things draws? I'm curious how it compares to an equivalent "modern" system with similar benchmarks.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

Ya those old servers are just so reliable. TThey knew how to build them back then.

I think the main issue is miniaturization. Generally speaking the smaller things are made, the more fragile they become. Also, smaller means a much higher power density, more heat energy being dissipated over a much smaller space, which leads to greater thermal stresses on the components.

These old servers are comparatively huge. Everything in them runs much cooler and dissipates heat over much larger areas. Fans are larger and don't spin at screaming high RPMs, so they last much longer. Electronic components and parts are larger and withstand vibrations and other stresses better.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Ya
On my Proliant 1600 the only thing that's messed up is the CPU cage fan.

And all I needed to do to fix it was peal off the sticker, spray in some lithium grease then cover with a small cutting of packing tape.

Though I've turned the 1600 off now as I've moved on to my DL380G4 which has much more CPU power

dual 600HMz P3(ok might be P2) vs dual 3.2GHz Xeons with HT
So if you assume clock for clock the same power the DL380G4 is about 10 times more powerfull

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

We still have a Compaq Proliant 3000 (tower on wheels form factor) at the office which is the main file server and print server.

It is soon to be decommissioned though. Just received the new HP DL360 G7 in the mail last week that will be replacing it.

Too bad it would cost an arm and a leg to ship... or I would take it off your hands for you. I have a old Dell Poweredge server that has dual P2-400s in it. Trying to find a good use for it, but I really don't know what to do with it.
annoyingrob
join:2007-03-27
Calgary, AB

annoyingrob to SimbaSeven

to SimbaSeven
Oh darn, I got rid of about 14 181gb SCSI drives about 2 years ago......

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

Well, if anyone has some spares that is wasting space, I'd be glad to make them useful.

I'm surprised how much they want for these old drives. I seen 14 300GB drives go for ~$1400. I was like "Woah.."

Not that I need that many. I just need 7.. but I'd rather not pay $100 each since I can modify it to take SATA and go that route (prefer not to, though).

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

I think I may have that many sitting around somewhere, but I think they are only 73GB 15k, rather than 147 or 300.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven
I have 6x 18gb if you're interested

and as soon as I get my data off of my proliant1600 I'll have another 6x 72gb 10k