share rss forum feed

Scree
In the pipe 5 by 5

join:2001-04-24
Mount Laurel, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to trent

Re: [Signals] SB6121 new firmware messed up my upstream!

What I would try first is hit Reset All Defaults, then unplug the modem for a few minutes (don't just reboot the modem). Then let it do its thing when power back up and check the signal page again. If back to normal then, great, otherwise I would next call and have them check things on their end, maybe they can re-push the update or config file, e.g.

trent

join:2012-02-24
Philadelphia, PA

I already tried that. I reset to defaults before unplugging everything and moving the modem to the 2nd outlet, a process which took at least 10-15 minutes with the modem having nothing connected to it.

I will try this evening to call. I try to avoid comcast's phone support because of previous experience of spending an hour on the phone only to end up were I started!

Would they be able to help through the direct support forum?

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ

Another possibility is that a system issue is occurring and as a conseqhence of it, the modem lost sync, rebooted and updated it's firmware. Possibly the firmware update is not related at all to the issue. Call for service.

trent

join:2012-02-24
Philadelphia, PA

You're right that's a possibility. It was around 3am when this happened it could be that work was being done and something might have effected the signal levels.

Is it at all possible that my unpowering the modem during its first attempt to update the firmware screwed something up? Even if it managed to update on its second attempt?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

Maybe, but it should recover after a "Reset to defaults" IF left to do it.
I really doubt the firmware update changed the power level, but the powerlevel could mess up the update, and the way the modem calculates the correct power level MIGHT have bee adjusted, but I didn't see that happen here.

pooh40cal

@comcast.net

im having the same issue