reply to itguy05

Re: FiOS GigE Wireless "N" Router $79.99

I still like their hardware products...we all have our own preferences

TimCo

join:2005-01-14
Ronkonkoma, NY
reply to hubrisnxs

»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KZ···KIKX0DER

This I just started to use. 7port switch, working usb ports, print server.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV
reply to hubrisnxs

This looks good

»www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless-···eless+ac

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to Jackarino

said by Jackarino:

I still like their hardware products...we all have our own preferences

Definitely. Just pointing out what they tried and I can almost guarantee they will try it again.

Klownicle

join:2005-03-15
Sarasota, FL
reply to hubrisnxs

I think its great and all the price went down, but I didn't pay I just walked in and asked for the latest wireless n router. They gave me it :-/

I suppose if you wanted to keep it then this would be a good deal.

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ
reply to hubrisnxs

Can someone point out the real-life performance improvements one of these would have over a Rev D with something like a TRENDnet 300 Mbps 802.11n WAP?

nxtiak

join:2008-08-06
Redlands, CA
reply to hubrisnxs

Thanks for the heads up, ordered today at work and just got email that it shipped from PA, to CA, 4 days UPS.
Glad I waited and didn't buy this from eBay or when it was higher from Verizon

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to Steely

The revI has gigabit and newer MOCA technology I believe

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

If I'm not mistaken, gigabit only matters if hardwired to a computer with compatible networking capability. Does any of this help with DVR/STB/VOD performance?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31

said by Steely:

If I'm not mistaken, gigabit only matters if hardwired to a computer with compatible networking capability.

Correct.
said by Steely:

Does any of this help with DVR/STB/VOD performance?

Actiontec routers since the rev. F have been MOCA 1.1 compliant.
MOCA 1.1 has a higher PHY rate which could be of some benefit if ALL your MOCA devices are 1.1.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

RScottyL

join:2004-12-28
Irving, TX
reply to hubrisnxs

I went ahead and ordered one!

I still might try to call Verizon and see if they will exchange my router.

ddecan

join:2010-04-23
Tarpon Springs, FL

said by RScottyL:

I went ahead and ordered one!

I still might try to call Verizon and see if they will exchange my router.

I called a few days back about an issue with my router (Westell 9100) and they shipped me an Actiontec Rev I. Even though it was just in a generic cardboard box it appears to be brand new.

gws

join:2012-08-11
reply to Chris 313

I just had an Actiontec router replaced (a rev A with a rev F) which had severe NAT table issues (at least that is what I inferred from net surfing). If I were to purchase a rev G myself, would Verizon have to do something on their end to have it recognized?

Thanks.

jtavarez

join:2011-10-27
Plainfield, NJ

said by gws:

I just had an Actiontec router replaced (a rev A with a rev F) which had severe NAT table issues (at least that is what I inferred from net surfing). If I were to purchase a rev G myself, would Verizon have to do something on their end to have it recognized?

Thanks.

As long as you release your DHCP lease prior to swapping routers the rest is automatic with the new router getting its IP-btw i think verizon will only sell you a rev I which is inferior to the rev g

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to gws

said by gws:

would Verizon have to do something on their end to have it recognized?

No.

Just be sure to release your DHCP lease and IMMEDIATELY power off the old router before swapping it out.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

gws

join:2012-08-11
reply to jtavarez

Thanks. Would this unit be rev G or rev I:

»teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/in···yDetails

jtavarez

join:2011-10-27
Plainfield, NJ

said by gws:

Thanks. Would this unit be rev G or rev I:

»teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/in···yDetails

it is a rev I which has a smaller NAT table then the rev G but should suffice for most of what the internet has to offer-as faqr as i know verizon doesnt sell the more powerful rev G

thepawn

join:2002-10-22
Clifton, NJ
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

I wouldn't touch a Linksys anything after their debacle with firmware upgrades from a few weeks ago. Sorry, I'm not going to let them have control over my router. Ever.

»www.theverge.com/2012/7/2/313173···ct-cloud

»www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a···oar.html

There is no need to have a router rely on a web service for connection, configuration, or anything else. Their stuff isn't that great anyway.

Totally agree, that action made it the last time I ever buy a linksys.

RScottyL

Irving, TX
reply to ddecan

Yeah, that is the current router that I have, the Westell 9100EM!

I am currently having 2 issues that I know of:

(1) When we are streaming movies on Netflix through the PS3, the other computers access to the internet is slowed down alot.

(2) Not sure if this is related, but we are also having guide lockups/non responsive on the HD/DVR STB.

RScottyL

Irving, TX

Okay, I called this morning, and they will send me a replacement router!

I still have the one I ordered, which will be delivered today, which I will use to bridge the two together to extended wired/wireless coverage!

OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA
reply to hubrisnxs

Unfortunately, I paid the $99 price two or so months ago. But I am happy with it, so I guess this is OK. It seems to me that this price drop is a way to clear out inventory in anticipation of a new router - a rev J? I wonder what they will add/ Dual Band, 802.11ac, etc.

RScottyL

Irving, TX
reply to hubrisnxs

I received the one that I ordered from the site yesterday, and got it up and running!

I followed the instruction that has been posted, and it was easy to get it up and running.

I first went into my old router (Westell 9100EM) settings, released the IP address, quickly powered off the unit, disconnected my old cables and connected to the new router.

I powered on the new router, logged in, changed username and password, typed in my existing wireless network SSID and WEP password so I would not have to change anything on all my wireless devices.

I didn't have any problems whatsoever, and the new router seems faster, and it has better wireless strength than my old one!

I should be getting my replacement router from Verizon today, and I will set that one up around my home theater devices(Onkyo receiver and PS3), so I can get them off the wireless as well.

gadgetboyj

join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY
kudos:2

You really should change from WEP to WPA2 if possible, it's more secure, and it's the only way you'll get full speed with Wireless-N.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV
reply to OwlSaver

said by OwlSaver:

Unfortunately, I paid the $99 price two or so months ago. But I am happy with it, so I guess this is OK. It seems to me that this price drop is a way to clear out inventory in anticipation of a new router - a rev J? I wonder what they will add/ Dual Band, 802.11ac, etc.

I don't think we'll see wireless AC for a while.

bigpapae35

join:2002-10-25
united state
Reviews:
·Callcentric

my old mi424wr rev f got fried by electrical storm, and verizon tech support sent me a used rev i for free.

I was not expecting such an improvement, this is a more powerful router for torrents. If I knew it was that big of a difference, I would have bought this thing months ago. For the current price of $79.99, I think it is a steal.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

My Rev I had an issue and VZ tech support sent me a used Rev E

bobd1950
Homer
Premium
join:2002-03-17
Pine Brook, NJ
reply to hubrisnxs

I just ordered last week, and have 75/35, and my 3yo f-router seems not up to the task..some stalls on uploads..see too many hourglasses, and they don't offer 35/35 any more so I could not revert back..to it.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2123885538.png

..so I bitched (politely ) she agreed , "You need that FiOS GigE Wireless "N" Router with Quantum".., and she will send me @ 50% disc. to own a..

»teleproducts.verizon.com/filesha···hure.pdf

Pays to be nice.
$ometimes.
--
Homer: "Sometimes I think we're the worst family in town." Marge: "Maybe we should move to a larger community"

bobd1950
Homer
Premium
join:2002-03-17
Pine Brook, NJ

wow..RECV 2DAY .
OVERNIGHT!

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2

Don't get too excited, you haven't seen the bill yet!

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

+1 haha