share rss forum feed

OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA
reply to hubrisnxs

Re: FiOS GigE Wireless "N" Router $79.99

Unfortunately, I paid the $99 price two or so months ago. But I am happy with it, so I guess this is OK. It seems to me that this price drop is a way to clear out inventory in anticipation of a new router - a rev J? I wonder what they will add/ Dual Band, 802.11ac, etc.

RScottyL

join:2004-12-28
Irving, TX
reply to hubrisnxs

I received the one that I ordered from the site yesterday, and got it up and running!

I followed the instruction that has been posted, and it was easy to get it up and running.

I first went into my old router (Westell 9100EM) settings, released the IP address, quickly powered off the unit, disconnected my old cables and connected to the new router.

I powered on the new router, logged in, changed username and password, typed in my existing wireless network SSID and WEP password so I would not have to change anything on all my wireless devices.

I didn't have any problems whatsoever, and the new router seems faster, and it has better wireless strength than my old one!

I should be getting my replacement router from Verizon today, and I will set that one up around my home theater devices(Onkyo receiver and PS3), so I can get them off the wireless as well.

gadgetboyj

join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY
kudos:2

You really should change from WEP to WPA2 if possible, it's more secure, and it's the only way you'll get full speed with Wireless-N.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV
reply to OwlSaver

said by OwlSaver:

Unfortunately, I paid the $99 price two or so months ago. But I am happy with it, so I guess this is OK. It seems to me that this price drop is a way to clear out inventory in anticipation of a new router - a rev J? I wonder what they will add/ Dual Band, 802.11ac, etc.

I don't think we'll see wireless AC for a while.

bigpapae35

join:2002-10-25
united state
Reviews:
·Callcentric

my old mi424wr rev f got fried by electrical storm, and verizon tech support sent me a used rev i for free.

I was not expecting such an improvement, this is a more powerful router for torrents. If I knew it was that big of a difference, I would have bought this thing months ago. For the current price of $79.99, I think it is a steal.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

My Rev I had an issue and VZ tech support sent me a used Rev E

bobd1950
Homer
Premium
join:2002-03-17
Pine Brook, NJ
reply to hubrisnxs

I just ordered last week, and have 75/35, and my 3yo f-router seems not up to the task..some stalls on uploads..see too many hourglasses, and they don't offer 35/35 any more so I could not revert back..to it.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2123885538.png

..so I bitched (politely ) she agreed , "You need that FiOS GigE Wireless "N" Router with Quantum".., and she will send me @ 50% disc. to own a..

»teleproducts.verizon.com/filesha···hure.pdf

Pays to be nice.
$ometimes.
--
Homer: "Sometimes I think we're the worst family in town." Marge: "Maybe we should move to a larger community"

bobd1950
Homer
Premium
join:2002-03-17
Pine Brook, NJ

wow..RECV 2DAY .
OVERNIGHT!

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2

Don't get too excited, you haven't seen the bill yet!

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

+1 haha

ggma1126
GGMA1126
Premium
join:2008-08-30
Claymont, DE
reply to hubrisnxs

noticed this on their website "Purchase qualifies for replacement exchange program" does this mean you can exchange without paying the 79.99 fee? just wondering - as I am looking into exchanging my old actiontech for this new one

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

What rev do you have?

ggma1126
GGMA1126
Premium
Claymont, DE

said by Jackarino:

What rev do you have?

MI424-WR rev C

--
Delaware Verizon Fios
Droid X

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

I would get that replaced

ggma1126
GGMA1126
Premium
Claymont, DE

said by Jackarino:

I would get that replaced

I intend to as soon as I get the time -thanks
--
Delaware Verizon Fios
Droid X

Rich

@verizon.net

"Purchase qualifies for replacement exchange program" does this mean you can exchange without paying the 79.99 fee ??/

How does this work??

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

You would buy the router and as a Fios subscriber it can get replaced free of charge if it breaks.

LimoMan
Premium
join:2005-07-23
Eatontown, NJ
reply to hubrisnxs

Anyone know if the n router is a significant improvement over the MI424-WR rev D? Specifically wi-fi range and speed. Thanks!

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

Wireless speed yes because a Rev D is wireless G while the Rev I is wireless N

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX
reply to hubrisnxs

I walked into the S. Plano Verizon store this morning and was given one for free. I was asked to bring back my older unit, which I'm about to do, but I'm going to return the original D-Link and keep both a rev. D AT and a Westell.

LimoMan
Premium
Eatontown, NJ
reply to Jackarino

said by Jackarino:

Wireless speed yes because a Rev D is wireless G while the Rev I is wireless N

LimoMan
Premium
Eatontown, NJ

Screwed up that post! Quick fingers, I'm actually more interested in range...speed is fine for me wi-fi wise.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

The rev I is just a better router in general compared to your rev D

You might see improved range on the rev I

vectorvictor

join:2012-08-21
reply to Teasip

Dare I ask how you managed this? I'd like to do the same thing with my Rev D, and last I checked with the Plano store, they were going to charge me $99.

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

I walked in last Saturday morning and just inquired. I told them that I had an older router and that my house was all wireless, which it is. The one that I received was one that someone had received in a shipment but apparently brought in because they didn't need it. It's worked fine since I picked it up. The lady that I spoke with asked that I bring the old router in, which I did, the original D-Link which I still had.

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY
reply to Jackarino

said by Jackarino:

The rev I is just a better router in general compared to your rev D

You might see improved range on the rev I

The range/signal sucks on the I compared to the previous versions. Where it used to have 5 bars across the room is now only 2-3. Same experience with my friend's.
--
35/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

Have swapping the antennas helped at all with that? I know that was a common trick with previous iterations of the ActionTecs for poor range. The Rev. I has smaller antennas which probably don't work quite as well as the big one that came with Rev. F and older.

Bytezboy

New York, NY
reply to hubrisnxs

^ No, which antennas do you recommend?
--

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

I took two of the larger antennas from my RevD and RevF and put them on the RevI. Much better range.

Bytezboy

New York, NY

Does the Rev. C have better range than the I?
--