reply to Jackarino

Re: FiOS GigE Wireless "N" Router $79.99

said by Jackarino:

Wireless speed yes because a Rev D is wireless G while the Rev I is wireless N

LimoMan
Premium
join:2005-07-23
Eatontown, NJ

Screwed up that post! Quick fingers, I'm actually more interested in range...speed is fine for me wi-fi wise.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

The rev I is just a better router in general compared to your rev D

You might see improved range on the rev I

vectorvictor

join:2012-08-21
reply to Teasip

Dare I ask how you managed this? I'd like to do the same thing with my Rev D, and last I checked with the Plano store, they were going to charge me $99.

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

I walked in last Saturday morning and just inquired. I told them that I had an older router and that my house was all wireless, which it is. The one that I received was one that someone had received in a shipment but apparently brought in because they didn't need it. It's worked fine since I picked it up. The lady that I spoke with asked that I bring the old router in, which I did, the original D-Link which I still had.

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY
reply to Jackarino

said by Jackarino:

The rev I is just a better router in general compared to your rev D

You might see improved range on the rev I

The range/signal sucks on the I compared to the previous versions. Where it used to have 5 bars across the room is now only 2-3. Same experience with my friend's.
--
35/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

Have swapping the antennas helped at all with that? I know that was a common trick with previous iterations of the ActionTecs for poor range. The Rev. I has smaller antennas which probably don't work quite as well as the big one that came with Rev. F and older.

Bytezboy

New York, NY
reply to hubrisnxs

^ No, which antennas do you recommend?
--

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

I took two of the larger antennas from my RevD and RevF and put them on the RevI. Much better range.

Bytezboy

New York, NY

Does the Rev. C have better range than the I?
--

Stilllogicz

@verizon.net

So I recently upgraded to the 75/35 package and they gave me a Rev E router. I mainly do online gaming and torrenting and I've read the numerous reports of the small NAT of previous revisions.

Now the Rev E has about a 30k sized nat table and the GigE has a 100k sized one. I'm very much thinking about upgrading to the GigE.

My question is, would I see a noticeable difference in torrenting with the larger nat size?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

When I upgraded my Rev.F to a RevI I noticed a difference

tannor

join:2005-08-06
Newburgh, NY
reply to hubrisnxs

I have to say the wifi is definitely a lot better then Rev F, I can now get wifi all the way in my bedroom where before it never worked.

Other then that I have not noticed anything different in wired, though on wifi I am definitely getting better.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
reply to hubrisnxs

When I moved and signed a new contract. They gave me the new Wireless-N Router. I have to say the Wireless-G Router was a lot better via internet performance wise.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

It all depends

dbaps

join:2005-12-17
Waldorf, MD
reply to hubrisnxs

If you renew and signup for the fastest FIOS Internet, in my area they send out a technician, give you the GigE router for free, and run Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router because Coax does not support it. Just had this done last week.

bobbybass

join:2007-12-04
Waltham, MA

Does anyone know if this will substantially improve non WiFi performance over a Rev D.

I only use this WiFi for my guest network (I have a separate A/N AP for my main use).

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

said by bobbybass:

Does anyone know if this will substantially improve non WiFi performance over a Rev D.

The LAN switch is gigabit on the Rev.I, while Rev.D is 10/100.
Rev.I has a larger connection table, which may improve some types of traffic and use.

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
reply to hubrisnxs

Just an FYI.

I was using the new Rev I router for a while but had some issues with maintaining 2 simultaneous VPN (IPsec) connections. Since my wife and I both work from home, this is essential. So, it’s now relegated to be just the Moca bridge for the STBs and a Wifi N access point. We are back on the i386 pFsense router.

Cwmson
Verizon FiOS
Premium
join:2000-10-02
Richmond, VA
reply to hubrisnxs

I called support and said I was having some problems with my old Actiontec and she said they would send me out a replacement....I asked if she new if it was a newer Rev.i router and she said the warehouse was shipping those but couldn't say which I would receive. It came the next day and it was the newest Actiontec Rev.I...they don't require you to send the old one back either...cool
--
"Why is it when we know better and we go ahead anyway, we almost always prove ourselves right"?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

You do need to send the old one back, or you might be charged.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

matthewh16

join:2010-05-21
Culver City, CA

You actually don't need to. A letter comes with them saying "Please do not return your old router". At least ours did.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

Interesting, must be a newer thing.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

Cwmson
Verizon FiOS
Premium
join:2000-10-02
Richmond, VA
reply to matthewh16

yep...same here...cool ain't it!

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to hubrisnxs

Woot has a sale today on another:
»tech.woot.com/#

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

Just sold out

pjjameso

join:2003-01-20
Great Falls, VA
reply to hubrisnxs

Will i see a better wireless range vs a rev F router?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

You may or you may not. I did.

Bytezboy

New York, NY
reply to matthewh16

said by matthewh16:

You actually don't need to. A letter comes with them saying "Please do not return your old router". At least ours did.

I got a replacement Rev. I router earlier this week and it did ask me to return the old router.
--
75/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

a123d

@myvzw.com

Depending on revision of the old router, determines if you need to send router back.