Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

Toyota Corolla 1999 or Y2K gas pedal issue?

There are times when..

#1 The engine is running

#2 The car is in forward gear (not park, neutral, or reverse)

#3 I am not applying any brake (foot or ER!/Stat!)

#4 I am stepping on the gas

And yet the car does not move or it moves, it moves as if I only released the brake of the car.

Do you have any ideas of:

#1 What that might be?

#2 How much will that cost to fix?

#3 If it requires a car pro look at and fix it OR can a non car pro (such as my self OR my dad) fix it?

Thanks.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

When you're stepping on the gas, does the engine rev/ increase RPM? Do you use the Ebrake a lot, or just occasionally?
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

said by Juggernaut:

When you're stepping on the gas, does the engine rev/ increase RPM?

Yes but also no.

No when I am having this issue.

said by Juggernaut:

Do you use the Brake a lot, or just occasionally?

I try to use it occasionally as I can. There are times when the brake is used more than occasionally.

said by Juggernaut:

Do you use the EBrake a lot, or just occasionally?

If by EBrake you meant ER!/Stat! brake, occasionally to never.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

I ask those questions, as I was wondering if your parking brake may be dragging, perhaps.

As for the engine revving, I wonder if it may be the TPS (throttle position sensor). Does this happen when hot, or cold? Or, does it matter?

Although I'm not familiar with this vehicle, I'm just thinking out loud here. Some symptoms transcend makes, and models.
--

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

said by Juggernaut:

I was wondering if your parking brake may be dragging, perhaps.

Please explain, more in detail what you mean by that.

said by Juggernaut:

Does this happen when hot, or cold? Or, does it matter?

Unknown at this time, but seems like when the engine is hot.

If talking about the weather, again same thing.

Why unknown at this time: It started recently in 2012. I can't say this will happen in the Winter time too..
--

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

Well, if it didn't move forward by itself, it may mean the brake was dragging. But, that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Heat tends to take it's toll on electronics under the hood. That's why I asked.

• is the check engine light on?

• was the vehicle boosted, or gave another vehicle a boost?

Probably the best thing to do is take it in to a shop to have an OBDII scanner put on it. I think I remember a few folks here saying Pep Boys? does it for free.

PS-I was hoping a few other regulars like Mattmag would jump in by now. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
--

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to aefstoggaflm

far as i can find real quickly, it's not electronic throttle(99 model), so it's a physical linkage between the pedal and the intake, might want to check the condition of the cable.

Expand your moderator at work

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to aefstoggaflm

Re: Toyota Corolla 1999 or Y2K gas pedal issue?

I'd check the 8th gen Corolla forums at ToyotaNation: »www.toyotanation.com/forum/131-8···98-2002/

Bennie, LeakySeals, and a few others there really know their stuff. Watch out for KeMBro2012, tho, I heard that guy's a real jerk; you might see him on here, as well, he sometimes goes by BronsCon.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

1 recommendation

reply to aefstoggaflm

said by aefstoggaflm:

#1 What that might be?

A physical linkage between the pedal and intake means it will work or not work at all, nothing in between.

So I'm thinking sticky valve in the throttle body or dirty injectors.

How's the idle? Is the RPM steady and stable?

If it's an automatic: Does releasing the brake let the car move forward even when not pressing the gas?

If it's a manual: Can you recreate the problem (RPM wise) while in neutral?

said by aefstoggaflm:

#2 How much will that cost to fix?

If you GET it fixed by a "normal" mechanic, he'll have you replace something instead of cleaning up/fixing what's sticking.

said by aefstoggaflm:

#3 If it requires a car pro look at and fix it OR can a non car pro (such as my self OR my dad) fix it?

By non-pro, do you mean you and your dad are pretty handy with car repairs, BUT don't have all the equipment and knowledge of a professional mechanic? or you mean you guys have a hammer and screw driver and that's as far as it goes?

Bottom line: Something's dirty and sticky. Considering the age of your car, I recommend you give a try to using seafoam in your fuel tank and throttle body. Google guides for seafoam in fuel and seafoam in the throttle body.

Also I recommend finding a popular toyota corolla user forum and finding the subforum for technical support on your car's make and year. There might already be a lot of people who had this problem and found the solution.

dsanfte

join:2005-03-15
UK

1 recommendation

reply to aefstoggaflm

Worn throttle position sensor and/or dirty throttle body sounds likely.

Karride
Slower Traffic Keep Right
Premium
join:2000-04-17
Germantown, TN
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

A physical linkage between the pedal and intake means it will work or not work at all, nothing in between.

Nitpicking here, but not completely true. I had an E30 BMW the had two or three strands of throttle cable fray off and over time would make the throttle stick in various positions (which I ignored, being the stupid youngin I was), including WOT (which finally made me fix the problem...ever hear a BMW M20 engine redlining? it is both a beautiful and terrifying sound )

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by Karride:

I had an E30 BMW the had two or three strands of throttle cable fray off and over time would make the throttle stick in various positions

Nice, I didn't think of that possibility but ya I can see how it would get randomly stuck. That must have been dangerous though because you could get stuck in PEDAL TO THE METAL position

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

• is the check engine light on?

No it was not, but it turned on yesterday afternoon.

said by Juggernaut:

• was the vehicle boosted, or gave another vehicle a boost?

As far as I know, no.

That is unless my parents got one for my car / gave one from my car, but did not tell me.
--

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

Well, it's time to get the code read at this point. Not much else to do.
--

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable

said by Juggernaut:

Finally, the voice of reason.
I'm glad that someone has sense.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to Karride

said by Karride:

said by alkizmo:

Nitpicking here, but not completely true. I had an E30 BMW the had two or three strands of throttle cable fray off and over time would make the throttle stick in various positions (which I ignored, being the stupid youngin I was), including WOT (which finally made me fix the problem...ever hear a BMW M20 engine redlining? it is both a beautiful and terrifying sound )

i had a sunfire that would stick too as the cable got worn, replaced it and fixed the problem, call me old fashioned, i prefer a cable to the "drive by wire" setups like gm's mini vans have

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
reply to Cho Baka

said by Cho Baka:

said by Juggernaut:

Finally, the voice of reason.
I'm glad that someone has sense.

finally it threw a code.
I'm glad the ECU eventually did it's job.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by BonezX:

finally it threw a code.
I'm glad the ECU eventually did it's job.

For all we know, the ECU got a code from another part that reacted to the real problem.

It won't throw a code.

The intake bellows is cracked &/or split.

Common problem on this vehicle, in fact, most any japanese vehicle of the same era.

The throttle will work normally, but the air leak in the bellows will not allow the MAF to sense the engine is trying to pull air, so it adds no fuel.
Rubber intake bellows are not cheap, maybe 100$ for a 3" x 18" tube, so be sure.