uniqs
share rss forum feed

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2

%$^%#% - Mail box post rotted out / fellover / was knocked

Any suggestions on alternatives ?

Fortunately, today I caught my contractor rural delivery Carrier and filled out a card for them to hold our mail for now, although that will mean stopping at the post Office daily to get it until...

Options -

1 (easiest) - rent a PO Box at either the Post Office or at the local pack'n'Ship

2. Goto Lowes Depot and get a post setup of some kind, and spend a good part of Saturday getting it put in.
There are , of course , multiple materials that could be used...

(Putting the mailbox on the house is NOT an option - the carrier doesn't leave the car for deliveries except for packages)

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

1 recommendation

This.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to scooper
Get a post from HD. Also some fast setting concrete.
Remove old post and dig a hole large enough. Put post, add dry concrete, pour water. Done.
Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to scooper
There are lots of mailbox kits out there or just go out and get a pressure treated 4x4. Ours is not set in concrete but when I planted it screwed a horizontal 2x4 below ground level to provide stability.

Our post has lasted for decades. I to change horizontal arm this year as the snow plows got a little too close over the winter.

/tom

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
reply to scooper
Build it out of brick, then laugh maniacally when you find car parts scattered nearby a few weeks later (happened to a neighbor).

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to scooper
This may sound silly, but call 811 for a underground utilities markout before you dig. It doesn't cost you anything, unless you hit a buried fiber-optic cable or other critical infrastructure, then it gets really expensive really fast.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

1 recommendation

reply to scooper
Easiest is to buy one at Lowe's Depot. On a rural route, they are more strict about the guidelines (height & distance to road).

It's not rocket science to build a basic mailbox post out of a 4 x 4.

I wouldn't put it in concrete:
#1) it will hold water and make it rot faster.
#2) it will be a pain in the ass in 10 years when you need to replace it. Digging out an oddly shaped hunk of concrete sucks donkey butt.
--
...because I care.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
reply to scooper
Big box ( HD/Lowes) have 100% complete mailbox with posts, all you do is dig the hole stick the mail box/ post in and refill/pack the dirt. Maybe 30 minutes if you take breaks

cwm1276

join:2004-01-16
Stillman Valley, IL
reply to scooper
After having to do mine like twice in a year, Garbage truck in summer and pickup in snow. I got one of these »www.menards.com/main/tools-hardw···8869.htm

I could drive it into the ground, then just put the 4x4 in the top. Hopefully next time it breaks I can just remove the 4x4 and replace. Winter and frost does not make digging possible, if course when it is most likely to be hit.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
reply to scooper
I'm normally a DIY guy myself but in this case I'd just buy one ready made from Lowes or Home Depot, dig a post hole, drop it in, and call it a day.

Xilepuc

join:2005-10-01
Charlton, MA
reply to scooper
I got tired of digging the posts into the ground years ago. Now when I need a new mailbox setup I do the following:

1. Buy a mailbox post from HD/Lowes
2. Buy a planter box/bucket/whatever, just something kinda decorative
3. Buy a smaller HD/Lowes bucket to go inside the planter
4. Buy some quick-dry concrete
5. Buy some potting soil
6. Cut the post to the correct height
7. Mix concrete, stand post in bucket (#3), pour in concrete
8. Put the bucket/post combination into the planter
9. Add potting soil
10. Add flowers as (the wife) desired
11. Screw mailbox onto post

Depending on how big the external planter is you could skip the inside one. In the past I've used wooden planter boxes but after a winter or three they tend to rot out. My current one is using a plastic planter and has lasted two winters with no issues.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
reply to scooper
I went with a 6x6 piece of treated lumber as my post. It should last a little while.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to nunya
Completely agree with nunya See Profile on both counts. don't put post in concrete.

BTW here are the requirements for mailbox. Pretty straightforward.

»www.usps.com/manage/know-mailbox···ines.htm

/tom

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to scooper
Grab one of these.
»www.mailswing.com/

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
reply to scooper
All I get is junk mail anyway
Maybe a PO Box and check it every couple weeks when in area

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
reply to pike
Now theres an idea...
I wonder if the post office would complain about what it looks like..

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 recommendations

reply to scooper
Click for full size
A revolver mailbox.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to sk1939
said by sk1939:

Build it out of brick, then laugh maniacally when you find car parts scattered nearby a few weeks later (happened to a neighbor).

Happened to me twice. Same House. The cars did not fare well at all. I'm on my 3rd brick mailbox. I guess I should start painting cars on the side for each confirmed kill.

Last time a lady hit it because she was distraught from her mother's death and had her mind on other things.

I got acquainted with her and her husband and they were over for pool parties a few times.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12

1 recommendation

What does she look like in a bikini? Was it worth a mailbox?
--
...because I care.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to scooper
In the long run a mailbox is better!
You don't have to waste gas to go to the PO and you will not have to worry if you get sick and can't get to the PO!

Soak the ground where the old post (cement) is and the old cement will come out easily (easy to dig up mud), then reuse that hole to put your new mailbox in!
If you are putting a wood post in coat the part going in the ground with pinetar first!

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
reply to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

Completely agree with nunya See Profile on both counts. don't put post in concrete.

BTW here are the requirements for mailbox. Pretty straightforward.

»www.usps.com/manage/know-mailbox···ines.htm

/tom

Yup - used those same dimensions last year when I replaced and relocated (to opposite side of driveway) my mailbox and post, and got a big thank-you note from the mail carrier. No curb here, so I went by the edge of the berm of the road.

p.s., it took all of about an hour of my time, and a good portion of that was rummaging through my old coffee can of odds and ends screws to find 4 that matched, and trimming down a board to mount to the horizontal rail of the post that would accommodate the mailbox my wife selected.
--
Shine on you crazy diamond...

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

I wouldn't put it in concrete:
#1) it will hold water and make it rot faster.

I resolved this when I set the concrete by "doming" the concrete up towards the post. Water sheds away from the wood.

Also, I protected the wood with linseed oil prior to putting it into the concrete. Been in there 7 years and it is doing fine.

My mailbox is a mailbox-in-a-mailbox. Protected by a layer of concrete between the 2 boxes. Heavy as crap, thus requiring me to put the post in concrete.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

What does she look like in a bikini? Was it worth a mailbox?

Don't know.

Their insurance covered the mailbox though.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-09
Williamsport, MD
reply to scooper
I just replaced mine. I bought a USP 4" x 4" Painted Base at Lowes and set it in concrete. Then I cut a cedar mailbox post to length and mounted it. Now if my post rots out or gets beat up, I can easily set a new one without digging out the concrete. I find it to be win-win: stability and modularity.
--
The Yakabox | My Development Sandbox | LinkedIn Profile

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
+1

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
reply to scooper
To close out -

Wednesday night (Aug 8), the wife and me had dinner at Carrabba's for our 25th anniversery. On this same lot is a Home Depot, so we decided to see what they had on "mailbox posts / materials". Found a metal 30 inches long stake like thing that had a collar for a 4x4 post - got this and a $2 piece of scrap 4x4. Went home, and didn't do anything about until today.

This morning - brought the old post up to the house, and after looking at - decided to take the circular saw to it to see if there was enough post after removing the rotted endpiece. Fortunately - there was. Cut off a piece off that scrap 4x4 (unfortunately - about 1-2 inches too short), grabbed the stake thingy and a sledgehammer to beat it into the ground.

All went well until I realized I had accidently struck the sides of the collar a few too many times on one side and my "beating piece" was stuck. Eventually, got that unstuck, used a longer piece of 4x4 to finish driving it in, then put the old post into the collar and tightened up the nuts and bolts.

I had been wanting to move the mailbox for awhile anyway, this just gave me an excuse.

I've just started thinking that I might want to put some through bolts through the collar and the post.