Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

caffeinator to drjim

Premium Member

to drjim

Re: Old Power Tools

said by drjim:

Boy, you sure have that right!
I'm an Engineer, but I'm a hands-on guy. The young guys I work with don't know which end of a soldering iron to pick up, or how to hold a screwdriver so if it slips you won't jab yourself in the hand!

I hear ya. I fixed my broken Ovale V8 e-cig device this morning. The bloody tiny paper-thin wires to the battery compartment (on a 2.5amp device no less!) had just snapped off from the solder joints on the IC board. Fortunately, Wal-Mart still carries solder...at 3AM.

I hadn't picked up an iron since the 1980's, but it is like riding a bike, eh?

Instead of pitching a $30 device, I simply fixed it. But, I reckon that buying a $2 tube of solder and repairing it is bad for Capitalism...I should have just bought a new one right?

:-\

drjim
MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA

drjim

MVM

Don't know about being "good for capitalism", but at least you didn't send any more money to China.....

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

caffeinator

Premium Member

said by drjim:

Don't know about being "good for capitalism", but at least you didn't send any more money to China.....

That's a catch-22 sort of deal there, since I actually bought it from an excellent American vendor. Sure, he bought it from overseas, that's where they are made. But, I'm supporting him too.