Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to More Fiber

Premium Member

to More Fiber

Re: FiOS GigE Wireless "N" Router $79.99

said by More Fiber:

Yes, it's a standard router and can be used with other ISPs.

Cool. That's what I'm interested in since I'm a cable user. Ya'll FiOS users have some neat toys.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Yes, yes we do

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by WK2:

Yes, yes we do

I'm reading what I think is the Rev I datasheet and it doesn't say anything about usage monitoring ability that I've found. Do you have anything to say about that? I use DD-WRT on my current router and it has usage meters built in.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

I haven't actually gone that into the RevI so I wouldn't know for sure

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA

Chris 313

Premium Member

Ok. If anyone knows the answer to my question, feel free to chime in. If I go for this, this'll be my first Actiontec anything. I've used Linksys stuff since the beginning back in 2005.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

No usage meters.

Also not the fanciest 802.11n router available. Only 2.4Ghz band. No 5Ghz. No 40Mhz channels.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by More Fiber:

No usage meters.

Also not the fanciest 802.11n router available. Only 2.4Ghz band. No 5Ghz. No 40Mhz channels.

That's a problem for me. Since I count on my usage. And if I'm gonna spend any money, I'm looking for latest, greatest and to be able to change the firmware. I'd be using it for 3-5 years, maybe longer depending on speed upgrades.

Zero5
join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

Zero5

You might want to look into one of the new draft 802.11ac wireless routers if you're looking for the latest and greatest combined with feature rich features. That's usually going to come from the main router OEMs like Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, etc. ISP partnered OEMs typically don't have the latest and greatest features to cut down on cost and support for the ISPs.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by Zero5:

You might want to look into one of the new draft 802.11ac wireless routers if you're looking for the latest and greatest combined with feature rich features. That's usually going to come from the main router OEMs like Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, etc. ISP partnered OEMs typically don't have the latest and greatest features to cut down on cost and support for the ISPs.

Yes. I've heard about those. Until the 802.11ac line is finished and made standard, I won't be going for one. Mine will probably be a latest Wireless N to be used sometime later this year or into next. But we'll see. I'm looking for a certain set of features, etc. So, there is is. It's nice to have options and I'm grateful for the info I found out here.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

I recommend this..

»www.amazon.com/Linksys-E ··· s+ea2700

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA

Chris 313

Premium Member

Yeah, I was looking at the E-4200. When I actually go and buy, I bet it'll be like a E-5000 or something
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to WK2

to WK2
said by WK2:

I recommend this..

I wouldn't touch a Linksys anything after their debacle with firmware upgrades from a few weeks ago. Sorry, I'm not going to let them have control over my router. Ever.

»www.theverge.com/2012/7/ ··· ct-cloud

»www.pcworld.com/business ··· oar.html

There is no need to have a router rely on a web service for connection, configuration, or anything else. Their stuff isn't that great anyway.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

I still like their hardware products...we all have our own preferences
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

said by WK2:

I still like their hardware products...we all have our own preferences

Definitely. Just pointing out what they tried and I can almost guarantee they will try it again.
gws5
join:2012-08-11

gws5 to Chris 313

to Chris 313
I just had an Actiontec router replaced (a rev A with a rev F) which had severe NAT table issues (at least that is what I inferred from net surfing). If I were to purchase a rev G myself, would Verizon have to do something on their end to have it recognized?

Thanks.
jtavarez
join:2011-10-27
Plainfield, NJ

jtavarez

said by gws5:

I just had an Actiontec router replaced (a rev A with a rev F) which had severe NAT table issues (at least that is what I inferred from net surfing). If I were to purchase a rev G myself, would Verizon have to do something on their end to have it recognized?

Thanks.

As long as you release your DHCP lease prior to swapping routers the rest is automatic with the new router getting its IP-btw i think verizon will only sell you a rev I which is inferior to the rev g

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to gws5

MVM

to gws5
said by gws5:

would Verizon have to do something on their end to have it recognized?

No.

Just be sure to release your DHCP lease and IMMEDIATELY power off the old router before swapping it out.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease? Why would I need to?
gws5
join:2012-08-11

gws5 to jtavarez

to jtavarez
Thanks. Would this unit be rev G or rev I:

»teleproducts.verizon.com ··· yDetails
jtavarez
join:2011-10-27
Plainfield, NJ

jtavarez

said by gws5:

Thanks. Would this unit be rev G or rev I:

»teleproducts.verizon.com ··· yDetails

it is a rev I which has a smaller NAT table then the rev G but should suffice for most of what the internet has to offer-as faqr as i know verizon doesnt sell the more powerful rev G
thepawn
join:2002-10-22
Clifton, NJ

thepawn to itguy05

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

said by WK2:

I recommend this..

I wouldn't touch a Linksys anything after their debacle with firmware upgrades from a few weeks ago. Sorry, I'm not going to let them have control over my router. Ever.

»www.theverge.com/2012/7/ ··· ct-cloud

»www.pcworld.com/business ··· oar.html

There is no need to have a router rely on a web service for connection, configuration, or anything else. Their stuff isn't that great anyway.

Totally agree, that action made it the last time I ever buy a linksys.