join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online

Just signed up

I just signed up for the unlimited plan at $9.99 for the first 3 months then $24.99. I figure this is cheaper than a $35/month phone bill from Verizon.

Just waiting for my box to come so I can hook it up with my ADT alarm and start calling

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Once you get it call in and get the $9.99 for life plan. After taxes it will be about $17 or so.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
How do I do that?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to ilikeme
By that I mean, Is there anything special I have to do in order to get a $9.99 life plan?

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom
reply to Jackarino

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to Jackarino
I have 3 months of $9.99

I call when the rate goes up month 4 and see what they can do

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Jackarino:

I have 3 months of $9.99

I call when the rate goes up month 4 and see what they can do

I hope that you can get the special undocumented "unlimited calling $9.99 per month for life" plan when you call and ask for it. However, that plan is usually only offered to long time customers who call to cancel service or who are threatening to leave if they don't get some special discount. I have been a Vonage customer since 2004, and I was not considered eligible for that plan because I did not threaten to leave if I did not get it. I did not threaten to leave because in the past when telling Vonage that I wanted to terminate a line, it was done instantly, with no questions asked, and no offer to transfer me to "retentions". I did not want to take a chance on losing a phone number that I have used for years, and is on my web sites, business cards, etc. Of course, YMMV.

And FWIW, once your rate goes to the normal $24.99 per month, the actual billed amount will be pretty close to the $35 per month Verizon bill. Vonage charges the same bogus fees and taxes as any telco, plus a $1.99 per month "Regulatory, Compliance and Intellectual Property Fee" to pay for all the intellectual property lawsuits that Vonage has lost. As an example, the undocumented $9.99 limited outbound calling plan that I currently have (which works quite well for me since most of my calls are incoming) actually costs just a few cents under $15 per month.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
We'll see what happens

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to Jackarino
I did not even have to come close to threatening Vonage I was going to leave when I signed up for that $9.99 for life plan, when it was first discussed here in that one link already posted above. i simply said that I had heard of the offer right here from this forum. The guy DID mention the fact that I've been a customer for over a year and noticed I don't make ANY international calls. Plan was changed even before I could log into my account and check!!

I do believe those are the only 2 stipulations in getting on that plan. Customer for a year or more and no international calls.

Even when I was on Frontier for phone and the base rate for phone WAS about $35, they have WAY more bogus fees than Vonage. My bill, with NO long distance fees for JUST the phone on Frontier was about $65!! Even on the World Plan, which I was for a year, TOTAL bill was like $35 and some change. Even if Vonage isn't the dirt cheapest VOIP, I have not had a single issue since I got the stuff working correctly.

It never hurts to call and ask about that $9.99 for life plan, but I WOULD wait until after you introductory special is over. Worst they can do is say no.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to Jackarino
Number was finally ported over today...updates to come

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to Jackarino
Is there any way to increase/improve QOS?

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Jackarino:

Is there any way to increase/improve QOS?

That will depend on what router you are using, and the speed and quality of your Internet connection.

Do you have a separate modem and router with the Vonage box (and everything else on your network) connected to that router's LAN interface?

Do you have a combination modem/router with the Vonage box (and everything else on your network) connected to that modem/router's LAN interface?

Either way, if you are having voice quality problems, and your router does not have sufficient (or any) QoS adjustments, then you may need to put your Vonage box between either the modem and router's WAN interface, or between your router's LAN interface and the rest of your network. That will allow the Vonage box to automatically optimize your connection for the Vonage service. If even that does not help, then you either don't have enough bandwidth, or your connection's latency is too high (or varies too much) for good VoIP service.

Try doing line quality tests from this site to evaluate your connection quality:

»/smokeping
»/pingtest
»/schedule
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
I have Fios so I have an Actiontec and an Apple Airport Extreme with my vonage box hooked up directly to the Actiontec router. I have the 75/35 plan. I dont really have any voice issues I was just curious to see if there was any QoS adjustments

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
Other than whatever QoS features that are in your Actiontec router and/or putting your Vonage box between the Actiontec router and all other devices on you network (which automatically optimizes QoS for the Vonage service), the only QoS feature that Vonage offers is their "Bandwidth Saver" control that you can access from your on-line account under the "Features" tab (and with a 75/35 mbps FIOS plan you probably won't need to worry about reducing the Vonage adapter bandwidth).
--

jmpenguin
Jmpenguin
Premium
join:2004-01-16
Labelle, FL
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..

1 edit
reply to Jackarino
Some alarm companies don't like using VOIP like Vonage.
We have a hard wired alarm system at home and when we added ADT monitoring they installed a box that uses cell phone signal to transmit alarm and tests. At our church we also have ADT which dials on regular phone line, ADT also put in a cell box so that when phone signal dies (We have Century Link) they can get test and alarms.
--
Comcast HSI WINXP-Pro, LAN Firefox Gmail

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to Jackarino
Phone worked fine for a few days, now I cannot receive incoming calls but I can make outgoing calls. Vonage is currently working on the issue.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to Jackarino
All of the issues should be fixed by tomorrow. Due to the service issues Vonage is putting me on the $9.99 plan for life