Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Uranus

Homunculus

Premium Member

About those dividens...

Anyone privy to more information... As in how Apple will be paying them out, and when they will start to? Q4 for Apple started in July. Will they be cutting personal checks to shareholders?

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

4 edits

haroldo

Does Apple pay a cash dividend?
On July 24, 2012, Apple's Board of Directors declared a cash dividend of $2.65 per share of the Company's common stock. The dividend is payable on August 16, 2012, to stockholders of record as of the close of business on August 13, 2012. The ex-dividend date is August 9, 2012.
»investor.apple.com/faq.cfm

If you hold a certificate, you will get a check in the mail. If you hold shares with a broker, the account will get credited on pay date
Dividends are paid at the discretion of the board of directors announced and paid, typically, quarterly. There is no assurance that this will continue, nor that it will remain at a set level. Companies pay dividends based upon their belief that business will remain stable and that it's the best use of their cash. If business is shaky (financial companies stating in 2008) they can and will adjust the payments downward.
Further, tax policy, weighs heavily.
In 2003 when tax rates dropped from 39% to 15% most companies significantly increased their dividends, or paid "special one time dividends" (for example Microsoft was ~$27/share and paid a one time $3/share dividend in 2004, later on they resumed their quarterly 8 cent dividend).
In 2013 there is the potential for the rates to revert to the higher level, one can expect all companies to reassess paying generous dividends in high tax environment. (if up to half the money they pay out goes to tax...there are other more efficient ways to reward shareholders, such as share repurchases, etc.)

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
Uranus

Homunculus

Premium Member

lol Why didn't I thi k of checking their website! Thanks. That was just the info I was looking for!

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

Lol when you said privy I figured you were an SEC investigator

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Homunculus

Premium Member

to Homunculus
said by Homunculus:

Anyone privy to more information... As in how Apple will be paying them out, and when they will start to? Q4 for Apple started in July. Will they be cutting personal checks to shareholders?

Guess this is your first dividend?

Yep, you get a check at the registered shareholder home address. Don't forget to put that on your tax forms this year, too

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

Don't forget to put that on your tax forms this year, too

I'm going to reinvest the dividends into more AAPL.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
Uranus

Homunculus to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by Homunculus:

Guess this is your first dividend?

Yep, you get a check at the registered shareholder home address. Don't forget to put that on your tax forms this year, too

I've got all my investments through a broker, so I'll be checking my account next week.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Coma

Premium Member

to Coma
said by Coma:

said by JohnInSJ:

Don't forget to put that on your tax forms this year, too

I'm going to reinvest the dividends into more AAPL.

Still pay taxes on the dividends the year you get them (unless you have this in your 401k)