spc
Search similar:

uniqs
zolcos
join:2010-05-19
Houghton, MI

zolcos

dishonest manipulation of statistics

The situation regarding video is of course probably more dire than the numbers suggest. Because of Charter's obtuse pricing, I essentially get charged for basic video even if I am on an internet-only package (they call it a "single service surcharge" or something like that). I have basic video only because my bill is exactly the same as it would be without the video... so why not get what they already make me pay for, right?

I am beginning to think they do this for no other reason than to cover up cord-cutting statistics.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by zolcos:

The situation regarding video is of course probably more dire than the numbers suggest. Because of Charter's obtuse pricing, I essentially get charged for basic video even if I am on an internet-only package (they call it a "single service surcharge" or something like that). I have basic video only because my bill is exactly the same as it would be without the video... so why not get what they already make me pay for, right?

I am beginning to think they do this for no other reason than to cover up cord-cutting statistics.

Actually you are not counted. And in fact is if you actually bother to look at a quarterly report from Charter they make a distinction between digital and non digital customers. Go with DirecTv if service is so shitty. simple.
zolcos
join:2010-05-19
Houghton, MI

zolcos

said by 88615298:

Actually you are not counted. And in fact is if you actually bother to look at a quarterly report from Charter they make a distinction between digital and non digital customers. Go with DirecTv if service is so shitty. simple.

Why would I not be counted as a video subscriber when I most certainly am a video subscriber? And where did I say the service was bad?
mdavej
join:2004-06-09
united state

2 edits

mdavej

Although CharterTVBad and BF69 are saying totally opposite things, both are correct. It's just the timing that's different.

In my area, up until about 6 months ago, everything CharterTVBad said was absolutely correct: HD PQ was horrible, SD was worse, HD lineup was pathetic, DVR interface was archaic, price was sky high and service was rotten.

But since then Charter has made a dramatic turnaround. While their DVR's still suck (I use Windows Media Center instead which is fantastic), their HD and SD PQ are now perfect thanks to SDV, they now have more basic HD than DirecTV or Dish. The addition of the Umatter2Charter reps online has made a massive improvement in customer service.

(Granted, some parts of the country may not be SDV yet, so the PQ in those areas will still be awful. But my understanding is most of those areas will be upgraded soon.)

For the first time in my life, I had to switch FROM satellite TO cable to get all the HD channels I wanted. I was shocked and amazed, because Charter's track record up to now has been awful. And since satellite has raised prices so much and dropped so many channels, Charter's price and lineup are actually better than satellite now. My only wish is that they would give their DVRs an interface from this century and cut the fee a bit. I realize that will never happen, but I've solved that problem by using my own cable card tuner.

Charter went from the bottom of the heap to near the top in no time flat. SDV and vision were a huge game changer for them. They deserve a second look if you haven't seen them in a while.

Back to the topic, nearly all pay tv providers are losing subs. It's probably a combination of cord cutters and economic conditions. The fact that Charter has slowed their subscriber loss is actually a positive sign for them. I'd like to see them succeed and keep this turnaround going if only to keep the competition in the video space alive.
covfam
join:2012-03-05
Black River Falls, WI

covfam

in my area charter PQ is in fact far below both my mothers direct tv (3miles away) and the Dish network reception at my farm house 7 miles away from here, i got the charter tv at my new house in town as part of the phone & internet package. while the phone and internet are fabulous, in my area (west centeral wisconsin) charter tv really bites. and the DVR &UI is horribly clumsy compared to my dish network DVR&UI, my mothers Direct TV's DVR&UI, and my Tivo DVR, as well as my brother in laws first gneration tivo, i just dont understand how they can have such great phone and internet but bad tv