how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

XIII

join:2010-06-16
Scottsdale, AZ

Tech support (RANT)

I recently swapped out my 5101 for a 6121 and when I did it it had to be done over the phone.

I called and the tech (CSR) could not see either modem.

Levels where out of spec (for D3) and resulted in bonding issues, but he said they were fine, could not explain why in less than 2 minutes I had so many errors, in both the uncorrectable words (over 3000) and the system logs (T3s and others) nor did he know the meanings of any of the error codes.

The levels where bad because instead of putting a grounding block in the installer put in a splitter, removed it and levels were great and no more erros
--
»FreeDNS.afraid.org - Free DNS dynamic DNS subdomain and domain hosting

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne
said by XIII:

The levels where bad because instead of putting a grounding block in the installer put in a splitter, removed it and levels were great and no more erros

Are you saying the line wasn't grounded before?

D3 requires a cleaner line than D2, so it's much pickier on signal quality. An ungrounded line can let in all kinds of noise and damage equipment.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

XIII

join:2010-06-16
Scottsdale, AZ
Issue is not grounding but that tech support said everything was fine, even with all the problems he was seeing and I was pointing out, just said he did not know but it was online so that meant everything was fine.

It was and is grounded, the splitter has a grounding screw on it, it was put in when the drop was, CableOne ran the trunk line to my pole and then a few days later an installer ran the line from the tap (on the trunk) to my demark, at which time he put in a 2-way splitter and grounded that.
I had only a D2 at the time of installation, levels are ok for a D2 modem with the splitter (though better without)

The splitter had to be removed due to the problems the D3 modem was having. Once I removed it everything was fixed. The installer should have put in a grounding block instead of a splitter, most likely he did not have one so thats why the splitter was used.

My levels were over -10, difference of more than 2DB between channels (causes bonding issues) and uncorrectables of over 3K in less than 2 minutes.

Once splitter removed, levels are now close to perfect (-7 at most, avg of -5 and right now uncorrectables of 800, its been up for over 5 days now).

D3 does need great signals. D2's can work in almost any environment but issues can cause premature failure, I once had a D2 work with DB of 70, snr was crap as well, cable company was amazed it was working and told me it was going to burn out due to the extreme variables it was working at and comped me with a D3 modem, though only after they fixed the problems.
--
»FreeDNS.afraid.org - Free DNS dynamic DNS subdomain and domain hosting