Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

[Parts Check] EVGA and Gigabyte vs. ASUS

In a previous thread I discovered I needed to RMA my ASUS P8Z77-V, although the board has decent reviews overall, I'm curious if I should just sell it when I get it back, and get either a Gigabyte or an EVGA board instead.

I'd be looking at another Z77 board, and I've read good things about both the EVGA and the Gigabyte Boards... your thoughts?
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
EVGA fanatic here. Love the lifetime warranty on the GPUs, but I understand you usually get only a 3 or 5 year on the mobo.

Still quality component and you'll be pleased with the U.S.-based tech support should you ever need to troubleshoot it. They have a nifty no-wait RMA feature as well where they'll cross-ship you a replacement.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
My experience with rma-ing my 560ti was excellent, which why I'm interested in their boards. Have you had a chance to look at their UEFI setup?
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to El Quintron
While brand can be important, comparing the actual electronics is important too. Some ASUS boards use a proprietary power end circuitry that eliminates an array of chips of one type to a couple chips that are more complex ICs that regulate the power more efficiently and accurately. Check the boards you are considering by going to the web page of the board and/or talking to bench techs at the actual motherboard manufacturer.

All things being equal, I'd get an EVGA first, an ASUS second, and, with some hesitation because of previous experience, Gigabyte 3rd (quite frankly, I'd go for MSI before Gigabyte, because of how Giga handled a warranty issue)

(I sent in a Gigabyte board for repair/replacement, they returned it to me defective still. The board's #2 memory slot fries RAM and the board is unstable. That, or my AMD CPU is the issue (but I have some doubts). I went through 3 sets of RAM to figure this out. however, admittedly, it is a lower end board and I haven't used it in a year or so.)
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to El Quintron
Unfortunately I haven't. My mobo is an EVGA 1366 x58 mobo.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Krisnatharok:

Unfortunately I haven't. My mobo is an EVGA 1366 x58 mobo.

OK Cool... I'm getting some advance feedback because if I get into a feedback loop with ASUS I'm definitely lining up for some more.

They set up the RMA right off which is good, and the Canadian shop is close enough to my house so I'm going to deliver it over the weekend. I just hope it doesn't take forever, and they get it right the first time around.

That wasn't the case with my wife's netbook from a few years ago, so here's hoping.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to signmeuptoo
said by signmeuptoo:

All things being equal, I'd get an EVGA first, an ASUS second, and, with some hesitation because of previous experience, Gigabyte 3rd (quite frankly, I'd go for MSI before Gigabyte, because of how Giga handled a warranty issue)

OK that's good to know, the guy at NCIX actually discouraged me from getting an MSI board... he mumbled something along the linesof "if you don't know why you're getting an MSI board then don't get one" I was planning on getting the ASUS board at the time, so I ended up going with the ASUS

said by signmeuptoo:

Some ASUS boards use a proprietary power end circuitry that eliminates an array of chips of one type to a couple chips that are more complex ICs that regulate the power more efficiently and accurately.

I'm not exactly sure if that affects me, if you don't mind can you go into a bit more detail, because I'm not sure I understand how it would.
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
Just go to the manufacturer's website for the board you choose. For instance, this board and Digi+:

»usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_···_DELUXE/

And also favor boards with all solid capacitors if you can.

And favor boards with better voltage regulator and chipset cooling.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

In a previous thread I discovered I needed to RMA my ASUS P8Z77-V, although the board has decent reviews overall, I'm curious if I should just sell it when I get it back, and get either a Gigabyte or an EVGA board instead.

I'd be looking at another Z77 board, and I've read good things about both the EVGA and the Gigabyte Boards... your thoughts?

I have the
P8Z77-VPRO. I find it an excellent board.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

reply to El Quintron
If I had the money, I would have bought an EVGA Z77, in a heart beat.

I opted for the Gigabyte Z77-UDH5 though for literally half the cost. So far it's been awesome.

I really like the BIOS, and huge amount of customization it offers. FWIW, this Gigabyte board has a 5 year warranty also.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

I have the
P8Z77-VPRO. I find it an excellent board.

My P8Z77-V was excellent when it was working so I'd agree with you on that...

My wife on the other hand did have to go quite far down the rabbit hole to get proper support for her laptop, so assuming I get the same treatment I will be getting a different motherboard.

I was really happy with my P5Q, and I was happy with this board until it started misbehaving, but I'm not spending hours on the phone chasing these guys for support, which is why I want a backup plan if this goes sour.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to El Quintron
I have an Asus P8P67 Pro board that has never given me any problems. However, I am considering upgrading it to a motherboard with Intel Thunderbolt support:

Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt - $249.99
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH - $249.99
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH - $184.99

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
reply to El Quintron
For mainboard, I go for Asus brand. For video card, I go for anything that has more fan, and low dba.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Octavean
said by Octavean:

I have an Asus P8P67 Pro board that has never given me any problems.

I don't think they're usually prone to problems, but Asus's support structure can be pretty hairy...

EQ
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
said by El Quintron:

said by Octavean:

I have an Asus P8P67 Pro board that has never given me any problems.

I don't think they're usually prone to problems, but Asus's support structure can be pretty hairy...

EQ

Perhaps, so,….

I have only had one incident where it was necessary for me to RMA an ASUS motherboard. This was during the Intel P67 Express chipset recall. It was as painless and easy as one would think it gets. I opted for the cross-ship process to minimize down time.

I also got a free pair of Asus ear buds out of it which were quite nice IMO.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Octavean:

I have only had one incident where it was necessary for me to RMA an ASUS motherboard. This was during the Intel P67 Express chipset recall. It was as painless and easy as one would think it gets. I opted for the cross-ship process to minimize down time.

I also got a free pair of Asus ear buds out of it which were quite nice IMO.

That's good to hear, I'm hoping it'll be relatively worry free.
--