how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hudg24

join:2012-08-08
Louisville, KY

SB6120 slower than SB5120

Just got the SB6120 & hooked it up no problem. Internet was running real slow. For the heck of it I disconnected the SB6120 and reconnected my old SB5120 and bam, Internet was back to it's normal speed. Did this process twice and got the same results, Internet faster with SB5120.
The reason I bought the SB6120 was for faster Internet. Am I missing something. Is there something I need to do before connecting the SB6120?

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17

Did you call your ISP and have it provisioned? I have to do that with Comcast whenever I switch modems. I think most cable internet providers are the same.

hudg24

Louisville, KY
reply to hudg24

No. This is my 3rd modem. Didn't have to do that with the second one. I can still connect to the net when I hook up the SB6120 it's just real slow. My ISP is insight, but they just got bought out by time warner. I guess I'll just have to break down and call them.
I hate spending half the day on hold!

hudg24

Louisville, KY
reply to hudg24

When I hook it up my wireless connection works great. It's only slow on my desktop. Could it have something to do with my 6 year old router. I have a Asus rt n560 coming in a couple of days.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57

1 recommendation

You should need it provisioned for your proper speed tier..I'd give them a shout to add the mac address

Also if using a router it may need to be reset (after you call your isp)