orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT

orion940

Premium Member

Inside copper wiring help

Does anyone do or know someone in the Hartford/Windsor CT area that does small inside wiring work?

I am having problems with the connection between the wires in the wall and the back of the piece that has the phone jack plug in. I've fiddled with it 3-4 times, the fix is not permanent, the signal breaks up again. As I have no clue what I am doing with this or what it should look like, etc. it's time to have a pro do it.

I check IM's.

Thanks for any help.

O.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

2 edits

Grumpy4

Premium Member

If all looks well, it could be that little bitty space where you can't see the wires (in between the spring contact jack side and the wall wire side) is kaput. I mean - I know the Chinese adore us and want to send over the best possible products to we Yankee Pig Dogs, but every now & then something gets manufactured right in the middle of a team-building caning session.

Maybe see what a new jack and plate looks like, and if it would lend itself to a DIY install, then chop the old wires back a 1/4 inch and see whattup?

Any retired telco installers in the hood? Your nearest "real" hardware store should know, unless it's a giant box store, then the answer could well be: "Huh?"
(With no disrepect to the many excellent giant box store employees - I just always seem to get the "Huh?" kids.)

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to orion940

Premium Member

to orion940
Former PBX installer for Lucent/Avaya here. I live in Norwich and work in New Haven. Hartford/Windsor would be a bit out of any normal path I would take. I'll take it that you don't have inside wire maintenance from AT&T (if even that is your telecom provider).
So are the wires in the wall in the cable; red, green, black, yellow? Rarely does telephone wiring go bad and it's usually due to water/moisture or rodents when it does.
Post some pictures if you can.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

FWIW, it's normally only the red and green wires that are used, unless it's a multiline phone. I'm not a phone guy, but I have some simple equipment. If nobody else wants to do it, IM me.

MrFixitCT
pay it forward

join:2000-12-01
Port Charlotte, FL

MrFixitCT to orion940

to orion940
I'd take the ride but a bit far for me now.. Only about 900 miles.