Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to scubascythan

Re: [Ultra/Lite] Serious Equipment Damage- ungrounded Rogers Cab

said by scubascythan:

Or 2) you had all that equipment on surge protectors and believe that is considered 'disconnected from the wall AC'.

If it is 2), cheap surge protectors don't protect you from large spikes. This isn't Roger's fault. You got unlucky.

That's not necessarily true at all.

This happened to me years back:

I once had all my equipment on an industrial UPC. building got hit by lightening and everything that had contact with my Bell landline got fried.

So is it possible? Yes, of course. Is it a faulty and negligent install (per what was stated)? Yes.

But it's odd that the modem and router didn't get taken out.

said by Gone:

He can try his luck going after Rogers for not grounding the cable line, but he most likely won't get anywhere.

Then why have codes at all? Negligence is negligence, regardless which company thinks they have carte blanche and immunity for all laws in this world.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

said by hm :

Then why have codes at all? Negligence is negligence, regardless which company thinks they have carte blanche and immunity for all laws in this world.

Oh, I have no doubt that Rogers will immediately send someone out to ground the cable line if the OP requested that they do so, but he won't get a dime for any of the equipment that got toasted. There are simply too many variables to prove beyond a preponderance of the evidence that the ungrounded cable line was directly at fault for the loss.

Furthermore, it is worth pointing out that anything you can buy at a store won't protect you from a direct lightning strike. One should remember that air is one of the strongest insoluators available and lightning has already travelled several - sometimes hundreds - of kilometres through it. A dinky little "surge suppressor" isn't going to stop lightning from proceeding past it.

anon user

@teksavvy.com

Trying to prove something like this is why there is home insurance. Make sure you are covered for things like this. Maybe $300 a year, and if you have a mortgage, its required anyway.