Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

[Help] 07 Caliber, knocking sound when turning left & accelerati

My mom's got an '07 Dodge Caliber that's been trouble free, with fairly low mileage (55000kms/34000mi), very gently driven and taken care of.

Recently its developed a strange "knock" when turning left and accelerating. It isn't the typical CV joint "click" and it doesn't make those noises when turning on the parking lot. Its more of a harder knock.

Took it to our regular mechanic and he checked out all the suspension parts there's no play in anything, and the CV boots are not damaged. At this point he said he isn't sure, because nothing is apparent and that the vehicle still drives normally and it could turn into an expensive fishing expedition.

Any ideas what it could be, or where to start replacing parts? Could it be the CV shaft, or something in the transmission/differential?
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

Re: [Help] 07 Caliber, knocking sound when turning left & accele

The knock is FELT or heard? (Or both)
Is it a repetitive knock, or just a single knock per "event"?

If it is felt, is it felt on the steering wheel? Can a passenger feel it?
If it is heard, did you try hearing if it comes from the left/right/front/back?
I'd use the same person to listen while sitting in all 4 seat positions with the window down and listening, that way that person can tell which side is louder.
Also if it's heard, is it more audible inside or outside the car?

Lastly, but importantly, did the warranty expire very recently? If it did, and she did her routine checkups, she could call Dodge's customer service and complain that something's wrong so soon after the warranty expired. Dodge can check it out for free (And fix it)

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
reply to HiVolt
I have the 2007 R/T.
Check the spring clamps that anchor the brake pads to the caliper. I believe you are hearing the brake pads rattling. You can test my hunch by applying the brakes when you hear the knocking.
Do you hear it while driving on a rough road?

If this is it, it's very easy to solve the problem. Remove the brake pads from the caliper and bend the springs outward slightly so they grip the caliper tightly.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

The knock is FELT or heard? (Or both)
Is it a repetitive knock, or just a single knock per "event"?

If it is felt, is it felt on the steering wheel? Can a passenger feel it?
If it is heard, did you try hearing if it comes from the left/right/front/back?
I'd use the same person to listen while sitting in all 4 seat positions with the window down and listening, that way that person can tell which side is louder.
Also if it's heard, is it more audible inside or outside the car?

Lastly, but importantly, did the warranty expire very recently? If it did, and she did her routine checkups, she could call Dodge's customer service and complain that something's wrong so soon after the warranty expired. Dodge can check it out for free (And fix it)

It's a repetitive knock about 3 times per second, you dont feel in in the wheel, but more like in the floor. Passengers hear it too, and from all seats. 3 people's opinion including the mechanic is that is is coming from the front left. Hadnt tested trying to listen it from the outside.

The warranty expired in May this year I believe. But powertrain warranty could be longer, i'll have to check.

I might have to take it to the dealer.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Chinabound
said by Chinabound:

I have the 2007 R/T.
Check the spring clamps that anchor the brake pads to the caliper. I believe you are hearing the brake pads rattling. You can test my hunch by applying the brakes when you hear the knocking.
Do you hear it while driving on a rough road?

If this is it, it's very easy to solve the problem. Remove the brake pads from the caliper and bend the springs outward slightly so they grip the caliper tightly.

Funny you mentioned it, but the mechanic also changed the brakes when he checked it out (they were low) but the noise was happening before the brakes were changed, and is still happening after. So I don't think it's that. Besides its a somewhat muffled low end knock. I fear its something in the transmission/diff because it is on the front left side of the engine bay.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to HiVolt
Perhaps a damaged CV, or a pooched wheel bearing.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile-High
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to HiVolt
I had a knock in my Crown Victoria (I know it's a completely unrelated car to your mom's Dodge) that my mechanic was unsure about, whether it was the bottom end of the engine or a catalytic converter. Turned out to be the converter (thank $diety). It could be something in the emissions like a loose converter core. If Canada is like the US, you have a long warranty on those, like 7/80,000 miles or something.

Is the noise speed related?

EDIT: A little clarification: Is it related to the speed of the engine or wheels that you can tell, or is the speed constant regardless of the speed of the vehicle?

join:2012-09-17
North Coast
reply to HiVolt
Check the trunk, your Mother's "friend" wants out.