share rss forum feed

sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA
reply to jsinaiko

Re: 2012 Chicago Bears!

said by jsinaiko:

Tucker is highly respected - J-ville is just a bad team. Tucker is experienced with both the 4 - 3 and the 3 - 4. He knows the Tampa 2 and other defensive sets well. And the Bears retained both their secondary coaches. My hope is that an over-the-hill Urlacher will be gone. Time to start over in front of the 4 D-backs.

Urlacher was great as a player, but I never much liked the guy. As a player he was under-sized for his spot and wasn't a great tackler. And his attitude was at best annoying, at worst just stupid.

Do you think his age and now physical short comings outweigh his onfield decisions? He'll make mistakes like anyone else out there, but he's one of the more intelligent MLB IMO.

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
reply to jsinaiko

said by jsinaiko:

Urlacher was great as a player, but I never much liked the guy. As a player he was under-sized for his spot and wasn't a great tackler. And his attitude was at best annoying, at worst just stupid.

I always thought Urlacher was kind of an asshole. You think he's undersized? 6'4 260 is a pretty big guy.Assuming those stats aren't padded. He used to have speed but he seems to have lost that. I agree though. Time for him to go. 12 years in the NFL is a long time for anyone but at linebacker it's an eternity.

jsinaiko
Premium
join:2001-04-25
Chicago, IL

He played mainly safety at NM. maybe he bulked up in his old age. Lovey liked small fast guys - which was also what created the chronic tackling problems. He was considered undersized when he came into the league but that was a long time ago.

But I absolutely agree with all your points.
--
Illegitimati non carborundum

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL
reply to Jon

Bears signed Pro Bowl left tackle Jermon Bushrod and tight end Martellus Bennett. They released Kellen Davis. Wonder what Webbs fate will be.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1

Hope he will be gone, I'd take his job and let the any defense by just as easy.

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to Jon

said by Jon:

Bears signed Pro Bowl left tackle Jermon Bushrod and tight end Martellus Bennett. They released Kellen Davis. Wonder what Webbs fate will be.

Yea!!! Hands of steel has been released.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL

They also released Matt Speath. Was a little surprised by that

sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA
reply to Jon

Think we overpaid for Bushrod and Bennett. But two positions we were obviously in dire need of. Hopefully they earn there keep.

jsinaiko
Premium
Chicago, IL

Thery are botrh quality pros - something the Bears haven't had at those positions for a while - didn't really over-pay.
--

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL
reply to Jon

Urlacher's officially a free agent.

»www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo···31.story
--
If everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something.

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL

Just saw the news. The writing was on the wall.

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL

2 recommendations

reply to insomniac

He's already tested the market from what I've heard. No one wanted him. He's too old and busted up. 2 Mil for what's probably his final year I thought was pretty good. If he's still looking for 6-8 mil or a multi-year contract, He's high.

jsinaiko
Premium
Chicago, IL

I'd be surprised if he's picked up for more than the Bears offered him. From what I hear, the Bears were hoping he'd be gone anyhow.
--

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL

Yeah he said that too. If they really wanted him to stay this would have been done a long time ago. He said he was looking for 3.5. For a guy that's been here 13 years (even as his skills declined) and made $90 million in his tenure, to quibble over a million bucks to talk about loyalty, especially when he knew they're up against the cap, takes a lot of nerve IMO.

Trestman also said yesterday that Hester will not play WR any longer. He's strictly a return guy. And the read option will be part of their playbook. Jay can run but he's no RGIII, so we'll see I guess.

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL

I used to like Urlacher, but when he started spouting about fans »profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20···s-media/ I thought he was a jerk. Really if he wanted to end his career as a Bear he could have been the darling of the Franchise, by saying " I really wanted a certain amount, but knew the team couldn't do it so I took a pay cut so I could stay with the team I wanted to finish my career with" Man he'd be up there with Payton and Butkus, as greats. Now people are saying up and down good riddance.

jsinaiko
Premium
Chicago, IL

He ain't too swift - plenty of football smarts but now he's lost a few steps and it doesn't matter.

Whatever - I was never that nig a fan - no matter how good he was - to begin with.
--

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL
reply to Jon

said by Jon:

For a guy that's been here 13 years (even as his skills declined) and made $90 million in his tenure, to quibble over a million bucks to talk about loyalty, especially when he knew they're up against the cap, takes a lot of nerve IMO.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Urlacher can spin this however he wants, but he could have been a bit more realistic too. For him to say "the Bears gave me an offer and said take it or leave it" - well, negotiation is a two-way street.

End of an era, yeah, and I appreciate what he's brought to the team, but I wish all the emotional fans whining on the Internet today would get over this. It's still a business.
--
If everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something.

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL

1 recommendation

Can't find the link atm but he did an interview on sirius. He said his agent started at 5.5 knowing they'd negotiate go down. I was with him until he said...
"They offered me 2 and said take it or leave it. I'm not gonna play for that, at least, not for the Bears."

WTF does that mean, at least, not for the Bears? That's where he lost me and I was like, well, go F**k yourself then.

edit: Here it is
»soundcloud.com/siriusxmsports/fr···lacher-1

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

He said he was not going to put his body through another season for 2 million. I guess he feels he deserves more since he has been here so long but in the end it is a business and at his age I do not think most teams would give him much more than that. He should of just retired. If he ever played up to Ray Lewis type caliber ball he would be worth it. I liked him as a player but at his age it is time for the team to start looking at younger players.

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL

1 recommendation

said by Nuckfuts:

He said he was not going to put his body through another season for 2 million.

What pisses me off is he said he wouldn't play for the bears for 2 Mil. He's said in a few interviews that he would play somewhere else for that. He's acting like a spoiled f*king child. He can go whine to all the media outlets he wants. This is not a PR fight he's gonna win at least IMO.

They signed DJ Williams for 1.75. He's 5 years younger and a pretty good MLB.

gdm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

I think they signed DJ for $900k plus incentives if he reaches them because of his off field issues.

I'm both sides of the fence Urlacher. I think the talk from the Bears of keeping him and then basically no negotiation was crappy. Comments from Urlacher are dump as well saying he'll play elsewhere for 2 million.

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL

Not really familiar with him but from what I've heard he was suspended for a game for banned substance and one for a DUI. So I'm not sure I buy the "off field issues" thing. Hell you could go out to dinner, have a few beers and get a DUI. Not to diminish it but the "OMG He's a drunk driving baby killer" thing would be a little much.

A lot of players in the NFL have done much worse. As for the banned substance? Wake me when he's the only one doing it and then maybe I'll care.

I just think Urlacher is the one being a dick.