skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Might be good for movie distro

Way overkill for home use but movie theaters may benefit from that type of digital projection capability. No law says it has to be streamed live. That 8K is getting toward IMAX HD territory which I think is 10000x7000 or something like that.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

digital theaters are already using 4K display technology because you need to be that far away for it to be of any use...8K will be of NO use to you since you need to be a block away with a screen a block big to notice...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I see grain in digital projection at the theaters I go do and I figured it was resolution driven. Maybe it is from the transfer of the print.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to skeechan

to skeechan
The human eye typically can receive about 10B triangles in stereo (that is how we form depth), so to do 3D it will take about 8kx4k at 8 feet to make it seamless--however compression artifacts can cause some unusual side effects. That is why IMAX is going to dual laser projectors (4k) which would pretty much be good enough, although not imperceptible. Laser projectors will ultimately solve the problem over time. That and some are going to 48 FPS for motion issues.

8K would probably be broadcast quality, and then from there they would hack it up with compression for home consumption where as people have said visual artifacts can crop up, maybe to 4k in ten years or so.

3D will be the kicker over time, and this will need new advanced algorithms to keep the bitrates reasonable.

All of this is going to take big pipes, and that means fibre is in....
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Once you add compression all bets are off.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

I see grain in digital projection at the theaters I go do and I figured it was resolution driven. Maybe it is from the transfer of the print.

I see dirts, grains, bad colors, etc. on films. Yuck.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25
I don't know if it is Cox or if it is the network but sometimes, particularly for sports, CBS HD is so over-compressed it is annoying to watch. It's like the image is made of Legos. But I see the same with some OTA HD...like networks want to punish you with degraded picture to drive you to cable or DBS where they get rebroadcast fees.
skeechan

1 recommendation

skeechan to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Between that and inconsiderate, noisy people I don't go to the movies much any more. I'll go to IMAX for a big summer movie but never for a regular one. The experience largely sucks now.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

Between that and inconsiderate, noisy people I don't go to the movies much any more. I'll go to IMAX for a big summer movie but never for a regular one. The experience largely sucks now.

For me, others and I don't have time. I like go with friends, but we're all old now. I did not get to see The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises movies.