how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

videomatic3

join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA

Perfect

Now all those people that say 20mbits or whatever is good enough, now there's a good example of why even google fiber doesn't quite cut the mustard.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

SD is good enough for most shows. Beyond HD most peoples eyesight can't see the difference anyway.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

1 recommendation

mmmmmmmno that's completely false premiss on your part.

The human can quite easily discern details, shadows and colors in HD that are not visible on a SD set.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by danclan:

The human can quite easily discern details, shadows and colors in HD that are not visible on a SD set.

ok. Did you read my post. It said BEYOND HD.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to FFH

quote:
Beyond HD most peoples eyesight can't see the difference anyway.
you must live in blind person land.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by danclan:

I did and you premiss that SD is good enough is still false hence my post.

AnonFTW

@rr.com
reply to videomatic3

said by videomatic3:

Now all those people that say 20mbits or whatever is good enough, now there's a good example of why even google fiber doesn't quite cut the mustard.

20Mbps is generally fine for all video delivery methods out there right now until you start getting into multiple 1080p streams. But that usage case is rare. Delivery of real-time 1080p is also rare, as most buffer the heck out of the the stream rather than deliver it in real-time.

Google Fiber is 1000Mbps, this stream was compressed down to 360Mbps. You can almost get 3 simultaneous streams in that 1Gbps connection and since it's fiber, there's nothing stopping Google from upgrading you to 10Gbps and beyond.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to ArrayList

BEYOND HD he said...this 4K, 8K stuff. It gets to the point you can't see the pixels anyway. If you can't see the pixels at 1080P you aren't going to see them at 4K either. The picture on the average home big screen is as sharp as the eye can discern (given a quality source of course).

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Somerset, NJ
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

SD is good enough for most shows. Beyond HD most peoples eyesight can't see the difference anyway.

How can you say SD is good enough? It pisses me off when commercials are filmed in SD, let alone entire TV shows.
--
What smells like blue?

talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH
reply to danclan

said by danclan:

said by FFH:

said by danclan:

I did and you premiss that SD is good enough is still false hence my post.

In my head, I read that as more of a "lipstick on a pig" comment about the quality of most shows

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by danclan:

Well, if you're gonna be watching 8k from the same distance you watch TV right now, and with the same type of shots. You certainly be hard pressed to see any difference.

However. if it's wide shots like the ones used in IMAX, you can actually sit closer to the Television and it will cover more of your field of view, and instead of seeing pixelation you'll see details on everything.

So, to take advantage of 8k you need very wide shots for everything (no need to zoom in ever) and at that point a flat screen is not the best choice. For 8k to be truly effective we not only need material to be shot differently, but we also need semi-spherical curved screens.
The reason for this is simple:
We either do it that way, or we would need a huge screen the size of an IMAX theater.

I for one can't wait to have a curved screen so big that it warps around the whole wall of a room and some of the floor and roof to cover most of my field of view.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to skeechan

once the resolution is high enough, would it feel like looking through a window and not a recorded image?

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to skeechan

Because of the arc and the way the human eye works it can see at about 576 megapixels (about 30k x 18k). That is 72x's more than the common 8 megapixels cameras of today.

What really becomes important is the distance. A human eye can discern the difference between 2 lines 1 millimeter apart from about 34ft. Whether or not a person can actually do that is another story, but the "technical specs" of a human eye allow for it if all things are ideal.

The sheer detail of things is what becomes more highlighted at higher resolutions and that is what makes an HD picture pop out over a SD picture.

Beans5

join:2005-07-16
united state
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

That is very true, for the 95% of people out there, but for the 5% of people that actually can read the smallest of print at 300 feet away, they will notice.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to Skippy25

I need a new prescription then Even with my contacts which get me to 20/20, 2 lines 1mm apart from that far away would look like 1 line to me.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to ArrayList

Not without good 3D, otherwise I would think so if the source material was good enough. It would look like a window.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to skeechan

I agree. 34 feet is a long way. My kitchen is about 22 feet long. I leaned a yard stick on one side and walked to the other. No way I could discern the millimeter marks. I had Lasik a year ago and after the procedure, I could uncomfortably read the 20/15 line.

I guess there are folks with 20/10 or better vision but 1 millimeter at 34 feet. Wow!

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to FFH

WHAT? SD is NOT good enough for most shows anymore. Sorry, I don't watch SD anymore unless I HAVE to...
Oye...

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to rradina

No, it said the human eye at 20/20 is capable of it. However the study said they dont know a human that could do it at 34ft because there are many other things that come into play like lighting conditions and shear brain processing for any particular person. If I recall correctly they believe most people can do it at about 20ft or something like that.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

You say no. No to what? 34 feet being a long way? My kitchen size? The fact that I couldn't discern the millimeter marks? Perhaps "no", I didn't have Lasik or that I couldn't read the 20/15 lines? Maybe it's "no", there are no 20/10 or better vision folks?

I'm lost as to what you are saying "no" to.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to FFH

Indeed..... SD is fine