Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to alkizmo

Re: Exhaust sound: Putt putt putt putt putt

Yes, it is possible. Usually it only last for a few seconds max though, as the computers remap the fuel and air mixture.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
said by Juggernaut:

Yes, it is possible. Usually it only last for a few seconds max though, as the computers remap the fuel and air mixture.

Okay then.
o-ring seals it is

treetop1000

join:2003-11-07
Lexington, KY
reply to alkizmo
OP neglected to tell us that this is a Harley.
(just kidding)

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to alkizmo
You should run a compression test. I bet you find a low cylinder and likely a blown head gasket if the valves are not burnt from the vacuum leak.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by Doctor Olds:

You should run a compression test. I bet you find a low cylinder and likely a blown head gasket if the valves are not burnt from the vacuum leak.

I thought a blown head gasket resulted in the engine overheating, coolant getting in the cylinders, etc... which isn't happening.

God i hope I didn't blow the head gasket. That would be a monumental job to take on so early in my learning process.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
It depends on where it is blown. Sometimes it blows open between two cylinders and leaks only the compression causing misfiring from lowered compression.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by Doctor Olds:

I thought a blown head gasket resulted in the engine overheating, coolant getting in the cylinders, etc... which isn't happening.

God i hope I didn't blow the head gasket. That would be a monumental job to take on so early in my learning process.

im a gm guy, so i cant quote on that car, but a head gasket is always a big job, but if you have a pushrod engine you can do it without even touching the timing, My first head gasket was on my old grand prix. was pretty painless... no my 2.4l sunfire i wouldnt have touched that head gasket!!!

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to alkizmo
So I just got my OBD2 reader yesterday, here are the codes from my Mazda

P0303 - Cylinder 3 misfire Detected (haha I was right!)
P0171 - System too lean bank 1 (Can be explained by above code caused by vac leak?)

Yet my mechanic said the code was the remote starter misbehaving and my idling was EGR related. Yeeah.

I got new OEM fuel injector seals today, but my wife just drove the Mazda (Crazy insane!) and now I gotta wait a couple of hours for it to cool down

After that I change the seals and put in a new fuel filter. We'll see the result (If I can further chastise my mechanic).

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to alkizmo
Based on the video, it kinda sounds like an intake valve sticking or burnt. When it's idling and the pipe is still cold, hold your palm against the pipe, let the exhaust flow out but try to feel if the exhaust sucks in when the misfire occurs.

I know, that's an old trick, but it can help define a symptom.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

1 recommendation

reply to alkizmo
The CEL went away on its own.
The engine stopped shaking
The putt putt went away
It stays at 900rpm when idling/stopping

It was all the vacuum leak
Maybe tonight or this weekend I will FINALLY do a seafoam treatment, just because it can use the clean up, but now it's all good

I haven't seen that car so healthy in years!