Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo

Re: Exhaust sound: Putt putt putt putt putt

Yes, it is possible. Usually it only last for a few seconds max though, as the computers remap the fuel and air mixture.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Juggernaut:

Yes, it is possible. Usually it only last for a few seconds max though, as the computers remap the fuel and air mixture.

Okay then.
o-ring seals it is

treetop1000
join:2003-11-07
Lexington, KY

treetop1000 to alkizmo

to alkizmo
OP neglected to tell us that this is a Harley.
(just kidding)

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 recommendation

Doctor Olds to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
You should run a compression test. I bet you find a low cylinder and likely a blown head gasket if the valves are not burnt from the vacuum leak.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Doctor Olds:

You should run a compression test. I bet you find a low cylinder and likely a blown head gasket if the valves are not burnt from the vacuum leak.

I thought a blown head gasket resulted in the engine overheating, coolant getting in the cylinders, etc... which isn't happening.

God i hope I didn't blow the head gasket. That would be a monumental job to take on so early in my learning process.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

It depends on where it is blown. Sometimes it blows open between two cylinders and leaks only the compression causing misfiring from lowered compression.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by Doctor Olds:

I thought a blown head gasket resulted in the engine overheating, coolant getting in the cylinders, etc... which isn't happening.

God i hope I didn't blow the head gasket. That would be a monumental job to take on so early in my learning process.

im a gm guy, so i cant quote on that car, but a head gasket is always a big job, but if you have a pushrod engine you can do it without even touching the timing, My first head gasket was on my old grand prix. was pretty painless... no my 2.4l sunfire i wouldnt have touched that head gasket!!!

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

So I just got my OBD2 reader yesterday, here are the codes from my Mazda

P0303 - Cylinder 3 misfire Detected (haha I was right!)
P0171 - System too lean bank 1 (Can be explained by above code caused by vac leak?)

Yet my mechanic said the code was the remote starter misbehaving and my idling was EGR related. Yeeah.

I got new OEM fuel injector seals today, but my wife just drove the Mazda (Crazy insane!) and now I gotta wait a couple of hours for it to cool down

After that I change the seals and put in a new fuel filter. We'll see the result (If I can further chastise my mechanic).

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
Based on the video, it kinda sounds like an intake valve sticking or burnt. When it's idling and the pipe is still cold, hold your palm against the pipe, let the exhaust flow out but try to feel if the exhaust sucks in when the misfire occurs.

I know, that's an old trick, but it can help define a symptom.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

1 recommendation

alkizmo

The CEL went away on its own.
The engine stopped shaking
The putt putt went away
It stays at 900rpm when idling/stopping

It was all the vacuum leak
Maybe tonight or this weekend I will FINALLY do a seafoam treatment, just because it can use the clean up, but now it's all good

I haven't seen that car so healthy in years!