Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Arty50

Re: FTTH? Meh. DSL is fine.

said by Arty50:

To all those saying "Why would I ever need a connection faster than 2 Mbsp?"

Here's your answer.

Last time I checked, we're looking at 500mbps for 4k streaming. Most content servers out there have gigabit lines and a HDD RAID array. Streaming 4k is going to require a huge jump in server network speeds, cheaper bandwidth, faster and cheaper SSDs, cheap 4k display tech, and of course we can't ignore the simple fact that there's no physical distribution method short of shipping hard drives that can store the massive filesizes of 4k video for. Oh yeah, and there's still the whole battle to get everyone to start filming their stuff with $50k cameras. And this isn't even going into 8k territory yet. Oh, and I didn't even mention the challenge and expense of wiring up America with FTTH.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I remember when CD players were launched at $10,000 ($30k in today $). I picked one up for my kids for $3 at dollar general last year. So what is a pipe dream in 2012, my grandkids will be enjoying as toys in 20 years.

All technology gets cheaper and better over time, except your cable bill. Go figure...

As for wiring up America, just use the USF funds for 2 years.

GarthDouglas

@192.75.118.x
reply to JTR
Cue the demos of analog HDTV in the 1980's -- we were saying the same things back then.

Now even our phones have HDTV cameras built in. (Tell that to someone in the 1980's -- cameras in a telephone???)

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC
Reviews:
·Hargray Cable
reply to elefante72
said by elefante72:

I remember when CD players were launched at $10,000 ($30k in today $). I picked one up for my kids for $3 at dollar general last year. So what is a pipe dream in 2012, my grandkids will be enjoying as toys in 20 years.

All technology gets cheaper and better over time, except your cable bill. Go figure...

As for wiring up America, just use the USF funds for 2 years.

More like 30 years, I think the first CD players came out in the early 80's? I bought one in 86 for something like $120. In todays money it wasn't cheap and the CD's costed about double what an album cost. BTW I don't think 9600 baud modem speeds were available yet... and I used a cassette for a tape drive.

xpkranger
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Atlanta, GA
reply to JTR
On the server side, check out a FusionIO drive. Already super-small (just a PCIE card size) but has 2.4 Tb at 892,000 IOPS. Just wow. Already retailing for a mere 20K (give or take). »www.fusionio.com/products/iodriv ··· ve2-duo/

Everyone will probably have smaller versions these on their phones in 20 years.
--
If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?