how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Strommy

join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA
reply to miataman

Re: Comcast is doing this, what about VZ ?

Comcast is also dropping almost all HBO/Cinemax HD channels except for each primary channel.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Strommy:

Comcast is also dropping almost all HBO/Cinemax HD channels except for each primary channel.

I can only think that this is a HD bandwidth issue. Is this nationwide?
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

said by miataman:

said by Strommy:

I can only think that this is a HD bandwidth issue. Is this nationwide?

No - it was done with the Philadelphia Center City lineup - which is the only area in the entire Mid-Atlantic that actually had all of the premiums. While the statement is true - only a small fraction of folks had them to begin with - and no, it's not a bandwidth issue. I'm actually trying to figure out what they're going to do with all of this open QAM space.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

join:2012-06-27
New York, NY
reply to Strommy

said by Strommy:

I fail to see how this is a problem as all new HBO or Cinemax content airs on the main channel first anyway. And then it repeats several times throughout the week.

All the other HBO/Cinemax channels are just repeats of stuff that aired on the main channel weeks ago.

said by webcobbler :

I would love to get the H2 HD channel. A lot of good History Channel shows were ported over to H2. Those shows being broadcast on H2 in SD does not give the same experience, than if they were in HD.

If Verizon dropped History HD today and put H2 HD in its slot they would receive no complaints from me. I can't stand History now. I want my new episodes of Modern Marvels in HD!!

said by Greg2600:

It's not simply the # of premiums. Comcast compresses more channels on a MUX than does Verizon.

This really isn't accurate anymore; most HD channels on FiOS are packed 3 or 4 to a QAM as well now. The problem is that the distribution feeds of HD channels these days are such garbage that they will fit 3-to-a-QAM natively. Verizon also re-encodes a lot of of the MPEG-4 distributed premiums to MPEG-2 at bitrates that allow them to put them 3 to a QAM.

Only a minority of HD channels on FiOS (maybe 15-20%) now have bitrates high enough that they won't fit 3 to a QAM.

said by Reyr:

I'm not judging...just surprised that a lot of people really want H2HD and Cartoon Network HD. Two opposite ends of the spectrum in programming material.

No, not really. Both these channels appeal to people who like 'smart' programming. H2 HD features actual documentary content which is rare in today's "reality" show crap-infested cable landscape, and Cartoon Network has several well-written shows enjoyed by the college demographic like 'Adventure Time' and 'Regular Show'. The animation is also very good; Cartoon Network truly shines when it is in HD.

They stand out as refreshing alternatives to the rednecks and trashy housewives who seem to flood most of the channels.