rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to en103

to en103

Re: I was wondering

said by en103:

When AT&T / Verizon would do that.
They've been selling off POTS like rats sinking a fleeing ship.

The price is decent - $20/month unlimited or $10/month 'add a line' to existing wireless.

Only caveat gotta be somewhere where AT&T doesn't have POTS.

quote:
The offering, dubbed A&T Wireless Home Phone, became available in late July in "select domestic markets where we do not offer traditional landline service,"; an AT&T spokesman told Telecompetitor today.

Just give it time. Wherever they can replace regulated copper services with unregulated substitutes, it will happen.

Just follow the trail of money. (and regulatory loopholes)
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

asa they should be able to get away with dumping pots and moving it to a new technology. the copper lines are 60+ years old in most areas, and need to be replaced anyway. So why spend the $$$ and replace them when you can move those customrs to a wireless technology? I've been saying for YEARS that smart companies would get rid of the last mile networks and move to wireless. ITS CHEAPER and easier to maintain.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by 25139889:

get rid of the last mile networks and move to wireless. ITS CHEAPER and easier to maintain.

And UNREGULATED.

As an aside... I find it telling, that they claim to have a capacity crisis to justify putting caps on their "unlimited" data plans, yet turn around and try to push everything onto their wireless network.

Hmmm. As I said, follow the money.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to rebus9

Premium Member

to rebus9
True. I wonder if they will start forcing people to the unregulated service like Verizon is doing.
25139889 (banned)
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to rebus9

to rebus9
Nothing new. Ohio already has UNregulated voice services once its bundled with LD or anything else- and bundled means ON the SAME bill. VZ and AT&T asked the PUC that over a year ago and got it. It's the issue in other states as well. The same as they can pull their wireline services with a 90 day notice to the state PUC.
93388818 (banned)
It's cool, I'm takin it back
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX

93388818 (banned) to rebus9

to rebus9
There's no data in use with this device, it's voice only.
25139889 (banned)
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

the same as with Cellco's- it only powers Voice. And Sprint has one that is similar.

25139889 (banned) to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer
will only force in areas where they don't have minm. standards on POTs or give deals to switch.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven to 25139889

to 25139889
said by 25139889:

asa they should be able to get away with dumping pots and moving it to a new technology. the copper lines are 60+ years old in most areas, and need to be replaced anyway. So why spend the $$$ and replace them when you can move those customrs to a wireless technology? I've been saying for YEARS that smart companies would get rid of the last mile networks and move to wireless. ITS CHEAPER and easier to maintain.

BAD IDEA. I can easily see multiple cell towers getting overloaded if everyone switched to this.

Sure, replacing copper is a no brainer.. But we need to replace copper with.. FIBER! Having everything wireless is a recipe for disaster.

Not to mention the spectrum needed to handle this endeavor would be enormous.

alltechs
@ameritech.net

alltechs to 25139889

Anon

to 25139889
forget about wireline tech jobs......
ncbill
Premium Member
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

ncbill to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven
Voice-only.

Plus I'm sure it's a compressed, low-quality codec.

Very little bandwidth to worry about.

My questions are : taxes, and can it back-feed a house's regular phone lines?

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to SimbaSeven

to SimbaSeven
said by SimbaSeven:

said by 25139889:

BAD IDEA. I can easily see multiple cell towers getting overloaded if everyone switched to this.

Sure, replacing copper is a no brainer.. But we need to replace copper with.. FIBER! Having everything wireless is a recipe for disaster.

Good idea.
It is cheaper to add another transmitter than to run copper wires.

I am sure this device will have a GPS lock just like with the cell repeater, or it will be locked into one cell tower only.
The whole point is they dont have to build up their entire mobile network to handle more mobile phones.
These will be fixed in one point, so they only have to expand 1 cell tower to service them. This is fixed point wireless not mobile.
I would not be surprised if the cost to run these wireless lines will be well under $1 a month over a 5 year period. They will get at least $19 profit per month per line.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to ncbill

Premium Member

to ncbill
said by ncbill:

My questions are : taxes, and can it back-feed a house's regular phone lines?

if they made it the same as verizon's home connect box, it should be able to. Their home connect box looked no different than a ooma telo with an antenna on it.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven
said by SimbaSeven:

Agreed. Especially once you start talking about replacing DSL. The amount of wireless bandwidth (spectrum) required would be enormous unless they were to put cell sites at every city block. Might as well just run fiber everywhere.

Fiber is a high initial cost to build the infrastructure, but once it's in place the bandwidth is plentiful and dirt cheap.

Ralph63
@bellaliant.net

Ralph63 to SimbaSeven

Anon

to SimbaSeven
Theres going to be too much maintenance in fibre optics and they will probably be the hardest to find the defects. If you shine a light down a fibre optic and the light doesn't come out the other end it is broken. How do you replace it. They are far too tiny to take out mixed in a cable with possibly hundreds or even thousand of these fiber lines. better ways of transmitting across airways is better. You just need better towers and no operators and all. Think of air ways as walkie talkie systems. You go from person to simply by a dial or digital readout. If you dial the number 544-4103 a computer built in your phone or your own pc will look for this satellite say the 544 is the satellite then in will transmit to the person on this network. It's more complicated I know that this but it can be as simple as that. There really is no need for operators or telephone companies. We just need the government to put up a few satellites and we do the rest. No need for any telephone companies who fleece us like we are just born losers.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

Um.. Are you familiar with recent fiber technology? If there's a break in the line (or defect), they can find it rather quickly and can usually trace it to inches or less. Repairing it is easy too since most of the fibers in a fiber bundle have a color-coded jacket.

The main issue is spectrum. They want it all and the intelligent ones tell them to piss off. Would you like the entire spectrum to be utilized for phone service? Heck no. I like my OTA broadcasts, thank you.

As for "Walkie Talkie" systems, that's one particular frequency that's shared between everyone. If you get a few hundred on the same frequency, it's damn near impossible to talk *and* you get to hear everyone's conversation.

Wireless is *NOT* the future, as everyone thinks it is. Sure, it's convenient, but in the long run it won't be able to handle the traffic. As for satellite, are you at all familiar with technology? Do you realize the latency satellite has? I hope you like a 1-2 second delay in your conversation.

Replying to this post has given me a migraine. Better get some caffeine to ward it off.