Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

asker

@1scom.net

Mystery ceiling fan identification

Click for full size
Click for full size
Hi, bought this house and it had 2 fans, same model, with no controls...no pull chains or switches, no wall controls, no remotes, wall switch turns on light and fan...one is set to high and the other medium. No manufacturer markings anywhere on them.
I tried a light switch with fan speed control from home depot and it did nothing....i really dont want to unmount it and take it apart to see if it has remote control wired in, hopefully someone can tell me what it is and if it is remote controlled I can get a controller from the maker....if not I have to take it apart and install a remote controller for them. The seller bought it from foreclosure and had no remotes or info for anything. Oh last thing house was built 2006 so they should be recent models.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

Did you take the light globe off and look there for any info?

Reno4u

@speakeasy.net

That looks like a Casablanca

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

Did you take the light globe off and look there for any info?

I'd almost guarantee the brand, model #, specs, etc are there too...

asker

@1scom.net

nothing but 3 slim bulbs, a large flat round plate, and a made in china sticker visible when you remove the globe....and the light kit seems attached to the fan motor, theres no room for anything else between them. No maker marks anywhere.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to asker

The specs are normally on top of the motor. These don't look to be high value / high quality fans. It's probably uneconomical to repair or restore (with factory remotes).
Drop the ceiling canopy and see if there is a remote unit up there. If not, you are probably SOL and would be forced to get new remotes from the manufacturer.
You can new fans of equal quality at Lowe's Depot for $100-150.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to asker

I always remove those remote control units before I install the fan. It shouldn't be too hard to find. Follow the wire.

asker

@1scom.net
reply to nunya

Uneconomical? $50 for a manufacturers remote that may operate both fans....or $200-$300 to replace working and fair looking (IMO) fans?
thats the whole reason I'm taking a long shot and searching for a maker to save money....before I trash entire fans, I would disassemble and install a universal remote on them for $50 a piece....I was trying to save the hassle and find the maker and if it is a remote model, buy a replacement remote.

sigh.....it looks like I will have to unmount one and take it apart to see if it has a remote box in it, or any identifiers. The only numbers I can find are on a sticker on top of the motor and it is just a part number for the motor, maybe I can google it and see what makers use that motor.

P.S they are better looking/quality fans than most of the crap I see at HD or Lowes.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

said by asker :

...and it is just a part number for the motor, maybe I can google it and see what makers use that motor.

I imagine you'll get hundreds and hundreds of results !

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to asker

Maybe you'll luck out an there will be a canopy remote unit. Those are $50. If not, you will be SOL. You are going to have to go to the manufacturer for a replacement; and let me tell you, it's not going to be $50.
Let me tell you another thing, those aren't $200-300 fans.

You came here anonymously asking for information. I gave you a professional and honest opinion. I have been there and done that a few times more than the average Joe. No need to get shitty about it.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

asker

@1scom.net

not being $hitty mr. guru..you sound defensive..just pointing out that replacing both fans at HD for $100-$150 would cost a total of $200-$300 vs buyin one replacement remote control at $50 to operate the two fans if the have controller boxes in them. Like I said the people who got foreclosed on had to control the fans somehow.

My way is the economical way, though it is a long shot.
You sound like a contractor though...if its more than a year old trash it and buy new ones. Bet you have customers that love to throw money at problems to make them go away....give them your "professional advice"
If you don't know what make they are, just say so, no need to call them crap, suggest I replace them, and say I'm getting $hitty if I disagree.

Anyone else out there recognize the mystery fans?

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO

Well then get your butt up there and look tough guy.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by nunya:

+1

SDR1

@comcast.net
reply to asker

The fan is made by Hampton Bay the "remote model # is UC7078T"
lots of them available on ebay, you will need to set the dip switches inside to match those in the fan

Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to asker

You post two pics of a fan and ask for others to guess the make/model based on those. You don't want to drop the canopy to see what is there. Perhaps you were expecting to be able to avoid effort on your part and have someone else identify correctly and exactly what you need to purchase? Unfortunately it isn't that easy which is why others have tried to help with their responses, which you apparently didn't like.

There have been two suggestions in this thread so far for two different manufacturers: Casablanca and Hampton Bay. How do you know which is correct, if either? Is it really "economical" to buy remotes for both then hope one will work?

You already blindly went and purchased a combination light/fan control. Did the switchbox have one wire for both fan & light, or separate wires? If the former, then the combo switch would need a paired canopy remote. If the latter, then you would need to disconnect (if possible) the control in the canopy.

You are making the assumption that the receiver/control in the fans are actually working. You are also making an assumption that the remotes/receivers are not paired at the factory without ability to change (IE: replace a remote). Similarly you seem to be assuming you will be able to use the same remote for both fans. Do you know that a single remote worked with both fans previously? If not, then if it is possible to do so you likely would need to drop the canopy to get the to receiver anyway.

How much is your time worth to you? Either you need to put in some effort on your part (drop the canopy and see what you find to start with), or replace the fans with known working units with functioning remotes.

"Economically" doesn't mean randomly guessing and buying parts. You may not agree but you've gotten good advice here already. I agree it might be easier and possibly more "economical" to purchase replacement fans. If you really want to avoid that cost, then you need to put in a bit of time on your part to determine your options first.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to SDR1

said by SDR1 :

The fan is made by Hampton Bay the "remote model # is UC7078T"
lots of them available on ebay, you will need to set the dip switches inside to match those in the fan

If ^ is correct in the model # ebay sells them for between $10 - $15!

I have to agree with the others you are going to need to open it up to see what info is in there, there must be some info on the motor or remote switch, etc!

SDR1

@comcast.net
reply to SDR1

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
No , not guessing, but yes he will have to drop the canopy anyway to get the code, unless he wants to play the game of trial and error

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Looks like only 16 combinations. Shouldn't take long to just try them.

dick white
Premium
join:2000-03-24
Annandale, VA
reply to asker

Only 16 combinations, IF both fans are set to the same "channel." Otherwise it will be time to climb up there and reset one of the fans. And then hope it is IR, not RF, in which case the OP will want separate remotes so that clicking the light button while in bedroom A doesn't wake up sleepers in bedroom B when the light turns on there too...

dw

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by nunya:

+1

+5 im sorry but in the short time ive been here Nunya's advice is some of the most valuable, he isnt a "just trash it" type of contractor.

gbwalsh

join:2010-07-25
Burlington, ON
reply to dick white

I just threw one of these fans out. It is rf and you should be able to set the dip switches in the fans the same as the remote has a very limited range. These Hampton hay fans home Depot sells suckered. The bearings wear out and get noisey in no time.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to telco_mtl

said by telco_mtl:

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by nunya:

+1

+5 im sorry but in the short time ive been here Nunya's advice is some of the most valuable, he isnt a "just trash it" type of contractor.

I agee 100 percent. Nunya is one if not the most knowledgeable on here and his advice is usually spot on.

I thought his post was priceless.......

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

said by Jack_in_VA:

I agee 100 percent. Nunya is one if not the most knowledgeable on here and his advice is usually spot on.

I thought his post was priceless.......

Nunya is a great source of valuable information. I've learned lots from him here. The attack on his character as a contractor was completely uncalled for.

That said, I'm not sure why so many people are attacking the OP. All he was looking for is what SDP provided. Now it looks like all he needs to do is spend about $30 on eBay.

As for Hampton Bay fans, I have a couple that are 12 years old. No troubles with them, they work great and are reasonably quiet with heavy use.

-- Rob
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.
Expand your moderator at work

Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to djrobx

Re: Mystery ceiling fan identification

said by djrobx:

That said, I'm not sure why so many people are attacking the OP. All he was looking for is what SDP provided. Now it looks like all he needs to do is spend about $30 on eBay.

I don't see any attacks - just honest feedback.

Most of us would have checked under the globe, then after not seeing any detail moved to the canopy. It would take less time to loosen the two or three screws typically used on a canopy (they don't even need to be removed) and see what was there than it took to post here. This would provide the definitive detail that the OP was asking for. Given proper thought it would be obvious that dropping the canopy would be required in any case, yet the OP was not willing to do so.

While sdp See Profile did followup with more confirmation, prior to that there were only two posts that indicated two different manufacturers with no confirming detail or model numbers, which would be expected given the limited detail provided by the OP. What if three others had posted with an additional three different manufacturers? It is very difficult from just two pics to identify the fan, considering so many try to mimic each other (IE: two fans may look similar but in fact be two different manufacturers)

On the same note, the OP randomly spent money on an attempted solution that should have been clear would not have been useful, then criticized a respected helpful contributor on several points.

I didn't see attacks, but perhaps there were criticisms that the OP should have put in a little effort first before posting here then in turn criticizing attempts at help in response. There is a difference between seeking help and trying to get others to do everything for you with no effort on your part.

eagleknight

join:2002-11-08
Troy, OH
reply to telco_mtl

said by telco_mtl:

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by nunya:

+1

Amen to that.

asker

@1scom.net
reply to djrobx

Thank you SD1 your answer was exactly what I was looking for, not an deragatory opinion, from a useful contributor, or not.
You guys can gush over the gurus advice, but his opinions are moot.
I asked for identification, he called them crap that should be replaced, If i replied to his post a little snarkily...boohooo. Economically $30 for 2 remotes beats $200-300 and the time and effort to replace 2 fans. if you think otherwise you are as foolish as he is.

Go ahead and flame me to make him feel better, I don't care... I found the info I was seeking (no thanks to him) with my simple 2 picture post...thanks again SD1 you are the man with the correct answer this time, which makes you more valuable to me than a hundred pompus gurus.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

This is an anonymous message board user who has come on here and mounted attacks on one of our most knowledgeable members.

You can ignore ALL anonymous or un-ignore them by toggling this button:

IGNORE THIS POSTER