uniqs

Nick D
Premium Member
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

Nick D

Premium Member

Classes/Specs You're Terrible At

I like WoW. I like how it plays, because it's the right pace for me. As such, I roll a fair number of alts, and try and perform adequately on all of them; enough to understand the hardships and conveniences that a main would experience.

LFR has been an excellent tool for letting me practice and benchmark myself. It's basically the best training dummy out there.

That said, it definitely shows me some deficiencies in my playstyle.

My answer:

I've learned that I am actively terrible at playing a shadow priest. I don't know why, but whereas I can get pretty competent damage in equivalent gear on several other classes, try as I might, my shadow DPS is merely average. I'm not saying I'm god's gift to Recount on other toons, but my comparative numbers for shadow blow monkeys compared to my other toons.

It's funny, because my destro warlock tears it up, so its not the dot and buff management. I think it might be that I'm terrible at moving with the class, so that practice might alleviate the problem but meh.

Basically, I'll stick to holy (which I'm adequate with).

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Boomkin.

I do ~15k in LFR...I suck at it.
Threatco
join:2011-04-19
Moncton, NB

Threatco to Nick D

to Nick D
I would say my weakest class is rogue. Which is strange because my main is a feral. But I just can't get used to my rogue.

Phantasee
join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Phantasee to Nick D

to Nick D
Great with my rogue in PVP. SUCK at PVE.

Treebark
Premium Member
join:2010-03-04
Havelock, NC

Treebark to Nick D

Premium Member

to Nick D
Feral Kitty.

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

Skittles to Nick D

Premium Member

to Nick D
Ive played all the classess to cap and here the ones Im not so good/bad at:

Boomkin
Fury Warrior
Fire mage
Ele Shaman
Holy Pally

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium Member
join:2003-12-10
Troy, OH

s1deout to Nick D

Premium Member

to Nick D
I suck at playing my mage.

Pretty much all I do is tank with mdps OS but not alot.
I have 5 tanks right now:

2 pally's
1 DK
1 Warrior
1 Druid

I have a disc priest as well and I am decent at healing but I dont really like to do it. Mostly made it atonement healing for 5 mans just for a change of pace.

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain to Nick D

to Nick D
I would have to say that even though a Shaman is my main, Elemental spec is probably my worst played spec in the game. I haven't played Elemental since I dinged 85. My main spec is resto with Enhancement off spec. I'm thinking about trying Elemental out again in Mists that way I won't have to be rolling against our hunter in the group during progression. I'll be the only caster mail wearer as well. Also, I guess I won't be too burned up about Elemental in Mists because in beta it just wrecked...spamable lava bursts??? yeah...

Second would have to be Boomkin. I have dabbled a bit in this spec (it's kinda fun in BGs, too slow in PvE) but I essentially quit playing Balance when Patch 4.0 hit right before Cata and they added the Eclipse bar.

Third would have to be...no wait, I'm good at everything else.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Boomkin is just awkward isn't it?

I've never played Elemental before on my Shaman. MS is Enhancement, and I can honestly say that I play that spec at about 95% of its potential. I could get a little better at weaving in UE and quicker at totem twisting for AOE phases. I played him as Resto in TBC...out of necessity...and just ditched my Enh PvP spec for a Resto one. Last night was my first time running BGs as Resto, and I was absolutely amazed at how easy and fun it is...and I only have 2k resilience in that set.

The only other spec that I've tried and failed at on my toons at cap (Priest/Rogue/Druid/Warrior/Shaman) is Fury. Everything else is pretty easy, granted I haven't played Feral Cat or Sub PvE before, but considering that I'm awesome at my sPriest I think I could pull off those two specs with some practice.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer to Nick D

Premium Member

to Nick D
I can't play a pure class to save my life. Hunter? Mage? Lock? Rogue? bleh.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg to Nick D

Premium Member

to Nick D
along with my horrible dot class performance, i used to be able to play my hunter, mana was much easier for me to manage than trying to regen focus, my mind doesnt work well with it, my fingers still reach for my viper aspect macro.

Zyncotl
Zed X
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
Wayne, MI

Zyncotl to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
I don't enjoy healing so I don't play them well. I had a priest alt in vanilla and raided with him but after that I never really cared for that role.

I can tank on a warrior but I am not proficient at it. Having used RAF to power level it and staying dps until cap in LK I skipped the "slowly learn to play this class" phase and with all of it's options I tend to simplify it and therefor don't master it.

bTU
join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO

bTU to Nick D

to Nick D
Pretty much any ranged dps. I have a mage, lock and priest at 85 and even with some gear on them, I always seem to underperform. I did ok on a hunter back in TBC, I was doing SSC and doing well in arenas and BG's, but the others just seem to not work out for me.

My best toons have been rogues and a DK, dual wield melee seems to be my favorite.
Rawk
join:2011-06-01
Missoula, MT

Rawk to Nick D

to Nick D
Shadow Priest. I think I could do more damage in Holy spec.

Then Warlock any spec. I pretty much turn into a turret, don't move just shoot bolts. Meters say I'm ok but it feels "wrong".

Finally my Rogue. Just feel clueless on him.

Suniojii
join:2009-10-31
Lakeside, CA

Suniojii to Nick D

to Nick D
Demonology Warlock. The pet twisting, demon soul, dots, procs, and assorted other crap make this the most complicated spec to play in the game.

Redawg81
T3h N3wb
join:2001-08-04
Jacksonville, FL

Redawg81 to Nick D

to Nick D
Any DK spec I just dont like em, I was ok in LK I had the jist of it but in cata my bank alt dk only gets logged into if I need ore

R3d

Abyl
@xo.net

Abyl

Anon

Warrior, just can't get the feel for him. Have a pally and dk tank, but for some reason the warrior just doesn't seem like any fun.

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy to Nick D

to Nick D
I'm a mediocre gamer so anything that requires me to track too many things, like holy power charges, shadow power orbs, too many dot timers, cast X only if Y is up and Z is under 4 seconds, etc are all fail for me. My main is an elemental shaman and not too many things to track there, make sure your flame shock is up, cast lava burst if available, lightning bolt otherwise Panda expansion didn't mess with it too much, so yay.

Others probably think this is borning but with staying out of fire it's more than entertaining enough for me ^_^

MUT308
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Kansas City, MO

MUT308 to Nick D

Premium Member

to Nick D
DK, but I've only leveled several to ~70. I actually die in PvE, even when only 1-3 mobs. Just picked up a 67 DK I parked for a long time only to see that Death Coil doesn't heal myself anymore. Great, more dying.

Resto Druid PvP- There are just too many heals that need to be cast at specific times for me to feel like I'm really playing it to the fullest. Also, my keybinds/bars are so full of healing stuff that I don't know how the hell to do damage when nobody is around for me to heal.

BM Hunter PvP - On my other toons, I get owned by hunters in PvP, but I tend to die a lot without outputting much damage on my own.

On the flip side, I'm pretty confident in my Frost Mage PvP skills, was pretty good at Druid PvE tanking in WotLK, and feel like I'm picking up Enhancement Shaman PvP pretty well even though I'm just getting started.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

said by MUT308:

I'm picking up Enhancement Shaman PvP pretty well even though I'm just getting started.

Don't do it man, it ain't worth it!!!

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Nick D

Premium Member

to Nick D
Arcane Mage.

mettachain
Goblineer
Azeroth

mettachain

said by Ghastlyone:

Arcane Mage.

Honestly, i don't think you can be TERRIBLE at arcane mage. it is boring as hell to play. blizzard's attempt at making them a tab bit more in depth (mana burn phase, mana conservation phase) didn't quite do the trick either.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

he's a formerly ranked lock who plays without addons... boredom is a deal breaker for Ghastlyone.

Caelharrad
join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO

Caelharrad to Nick D

to Nick D
I cannot play hunter as survival to save my life. I'm pretty darn good as MM, and if you give me a few minutes to rebind my keys I could probably be passable at BM. Other than that, I also have to agree that balance/boomkin is awkward... I have not touched my druid in a long time, and it's because I just cannot get the feel for that spec at all. Might be time to re-spec into resto for that toon. I'm currently really enjoying leveling my elemental shaman; I really hope to get him up to L85 these next few weeks, because from what I've heard from MoP beta testers, elemental shamans can absolutely BRING IT.

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

Skittles to puppy

Premium Member

to puppy
said by puppy:

Others probably think this is borning but with staying out of fire it's more than entertaining enough for me ^_^

Best comment Ive read in awhile...

mettachain
Goblineer
Azeroth

mettachain to Caelharrad

to Caelharrad
the only reason to NOT be SV is if you need a silence which many other classes provide but still.

Nick D
Premium Member
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

Nick D

Premium Member

Or if you as a person do less DPS as Surv than Marks.

Which is the case that Cael noted.

Caelharrad
Fenton, MO

Caelharrad

said by Nick D:

Or if you as a person do less DPS as Surv than Marks.

Which is the case that Cael noted.

Correct. I am aware that simulations/theory as well as raid logs have established that survival is currently the optimal DPS spec for hunters. (Keep in mind that this has not always been the case; as recently as 4.1 marksman was the leading raid spec. I am not aware what optimal hunter DPS spec is in MoP beta.)
I started off playing a hunter as BM, then switched to MM after about 6 weeks. I tried switching my offspec to SV when 4.2 hit, but I just could not get the hang of it. My brain was stuck in "MM mode". Also keep in mind that I am in a casual guild (family/friends) that very rarely raids, so I'm not feeling any pressure to switch to SV and spend hours training on dummies to squeeze out that last little bit of DPS.

Nick D
Premium Member
Orange, CA

Nick D

Premium Member

My hunter skills are entirely limited to Surv, currently (I leveled as surv during 4.2 when it was terrible and was pleasantly surprised to find it useful in DS), and I'm curious what you find the hold back to be. It's one of the easiest specs I've played, once I got the hang of staring at my focus bar.

Do you have a hard time not Cobraing at least twice every time?

Does it feel weird to react to Lock n' Loads and fire off 3xExplosives?

Are you just not comfortable with the amount of Arcanes you can do while allowing you to Explosive on CD?

I'm basically using you as a case study here. It's one thing when you're bad at disparate classes (melee v ranged v dot v nuke v cooldown). But since the hunter specs are all pretty close in standard gameplay (build and dump focus being the primary mechanism), it's interesting that you're good at one and bad at another.

Caelharrad
Fenton, MO

Caelharrad

Cobra shotting isn't the issue, it's mainly reacting to LnL properly. Not many unexpected procs in MM, other than the occasional instant Aimed Shot. And, as you said, "staring at the focus bar"... with MM, I pretty much know what my focus is instinctively; I can do (chimera - 2x SS - ArcS - 2x SS - chimera) as my "maintenance rotation", and if I get a haste proc (or using rapid fire, obviously) I pay more attention to my focus bar to fit aimed shots in. Occasionally I'll end up with a bit more focus then normal, so a couple of extra arcane shots when needed. When I've tried SV, I end up watching my focus bar so much I end up losing situational awareness. "Hunter, don't stand in the bad. Purple shadow goo = ouch." I don't doubt that with more practice I could get to be at least passable with SV, there just isn't any need for it right now with my guild situation.