·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to JimThePCGuy

Re: This is old news

said by JimThePCGuy:

said by WiFiguru:

said by IowaCowboy:

Wireless home phones are another gimmick from the cell companies. They are basically a cell phone and they give a false sense of security because 911 calls will be treated like a cell call (no or limited location information) whereas a landline (either traditional or facilities based VoIP like Comcast or Time Warner) will give exact location.

Actually the devices have built in GPS to support 911 on exact location of the device... just like cell phones. If you made a 911 call in your house with a cell phone, they would know exactly which part of your house you are in because of GPS.

No. Not even close.

Yep, my experience with the GPS in my two cell phones is that it does not even work inside my apartment (or most structures). Any time I have tried using a GPS dependent service from inside almost any building, the phone just hangs busy for several minutes and then informs me that GPS is "temporarily" unavailable.

Actually, in my apartment the only reason I can even use my AT&T cell phones at all is because I have a zBoost repeater with an outside antenna on a tall mast located on my patio (but that unfortunately does not boost the GPS since that is a totally different service). That lack of GPS is also the reason that I use a repeater instead of AT&T's 3G MicroCell device; the 3G MicroCell requires GPS in order to operate.

Also, FWIW, my GE DECT CellFusion phone system that I have been using for several years connects via bluetooth to both of my cell phones and allows the DECT handsets to use both of the cellphones as well as a POTS or VoIP connection (and they have a module that also allows connecting any RJ-11 device to the cell phones via bluetooth), so as usual AT&T is a day late and a dollar short with "new" technology. Rethink Possible indeed.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
911 doesnt use the gps built into your phone. If you have a signal they can find you.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by rody_44:

911 doesnt use the gps built into your phone. If you have a signal they can find you.

That depends on the carrier and the capabilities of the E-911 call center: What is a GPS-capable phone, and why is it so important for E911?

If you are in a high population density area with multiple cell towers communicating with your phone, then perhaps the E-911 call center can locate you using cell tower triangulation. If not, then they may only be able to make a guess as to which county you are calling from based on the location of the single cell tower to which you are connected. Not all of us live and always remain inside heavily populated urban areas.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.