All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
atbroome
join:2001-12-27
Morristown, NJ

atbroome

[DVR] Verizon sends out obviously and very used 7232s?

With the fall season about to start and my original 160GB 6416 showing its age, I decided to take advantage of Verizon's 500GB DVR upgrade program for $40.

I was very disappointed when the box arrived today. First sign of trouble was that even though shipped via UPS, the box wasn't taped or sealed in any way. Upon opening I found what looks to be a very used 7232:

- covered in dust

- large dent in the back case by the fan which doesn't look to be caused by the recent shipping since the outer box was fine

- scratched front panel

- greasy finger streaks on the top

- non-dusty area on the top where another piece of equipment had been sitting for an extended period.

This unit was obviously in someones rack for quite some time and was returned. I understand that I cant necessarily get a brand new box, but what I sent was unacceptable. It looks as if no cleaning or refurbishment was done at all. I fear it wasn't even tested.

Is this common?

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Every replacement box I have received from Verizon has been in good condition for the most part. If you want VZ would probably give you another box.
atbroome
Morristown, NJ

atbroome

I tried the "live" support but it must be a bad idea after hours. Poor guy suggested I return it in person which was good but then was unable to tell me which location would have a 7232 to swap. He was obviously just going to the same Verizon store locator on the website I can use. I'll try back in the morning I guess.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

You could always call your nearest store and see if the have the7232 box
atbroome
Morristown, NJ

atbroome

Likely what I'll end up having to do. Pardon me for thinking Verizon might have this information and do the work for me

And unfortunately I don't seem to have a very local store that provides boxes.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to atbroome

MVM

to atbroome
I got a 7232 off a truck from a service call. It's missing a front rubber foot, lol. Other than that it's fine.
sg9
join:2007-07-23
Montclair, NJ

sg9 to atbroome

to atbroome
well, that worries me. One of my 7232s has a dead hdmi port and I've been meaning to send it back for ages but dreading the call. Hope I don't get back a busted one when I do
atbroome
Morristown, NJ

atbroome

Hmm. I went ahead and tried to use the 7232 and it wont initialize. Not sure if my box is bad or its the DI-604 sitting in front of my Actiontec (see other thread)
flashcore
join:2007-01-23
united state

flashcore

said by atbroome:

Hmm. I went ahead and tried to use the 7232 and it wont initialize. Not sure if my box is bad or its the DI-604 sitting in front of my Actiontec (see other thread)

Activation/Initialization as far as I know is not IP based, it runs over the same QAM management signal that they use to update the boxes and it is one way only which is why you have to call or use the website to do it. When you tell Verizon to activate the box the signal goes to all boxes at the VHO with the address of you box for the destination and all the others just ignore it.
atbroome
Morristown, NJ

atbroome

So I have to call verizon to activate the new box?
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

those boxes haven't been offered for more than a year, I believe. so even though it has some dust and dirt, I would probably clean it, try it out for a few days and if it's operational and works as expected, I wouldn't waste the time calling or shipping.

Weigh your plus's and minus's. if it's worth it for you to call in to have a replacement of a box that is working just fine and just needs a rag and a couple swipes to clean it, then make the call. to me that's not worth the hassle.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to atbroome

to atbroome
Nope. The box will normally self activate.
atbroome
Morristown, NJ

atbroome

What is the current DVR? What I was sent was actually P2

And it wont activate
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

www.verizon.com/repair you should be able to activate it there. see if you can find the activation code on the paper work, and give it a try.
atbroome
Morristown, NJ

atbroome

Yes, that was it. Box arrived so quickly I had to go to the Verizon site to manually activate 1st. All seems well now.

bull3964
@verizon.net

bull3964 to hubrisnxs

Anon

to hubrisnxs
said by hubrisnxs:

those boxes haven't been offered for more than a year, I believe.

Nope, they've been out for over a year and a half. I got mine in early Feb of 2011 and I know that some people had them before I did.
drummrboybac
join:2010-10-22
Holliston, MA

drummrboybac

said by bull3964 :

said by hubrisnxs:

those boxes haven't been offered for more than a year, I believe.

Nope, they've been out for over a year and a half. I got mine in early Feb of 2011 and I know that some people had them before I did.

I got mine in October of 2010, so they have been around a while.