1 edit

2 recommendations

Stem Bolt

Premium Member

Blizzard Says Battle.Net Has Been Hacked

»www.marketwatch.com/stor ··· 12-08-09

»us.blizzard.com/en-us/se ··· ate.html
quote:
The unauthorized access included email addresses associated with Battle.net accounts in all regions, outside of China. Additional information from accounts associated with the North American servers (which generally includes players from North America, Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia) was also accessed, including cryptographically scrambled versions of passwords (not actual passwords), the answer to a personal security question, and information relating to Mobile and Dial-In Authenticators. It's important to note that at this time, Blizzard does not believe this information alone is enough to gain access to Battle.net accounts.

Based on Blizzard's investigation to this point, credit card and other customer payment data does NOT appear to have been accessed or affected.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

Blizzard says the passwords would be hard to decrypt, but I wonder if a botnet wouldn't significantly cut down the time.

I also wonder what other personal information got released? Birthday, home address, email, recovery details like first pet, first job, mothers maiden name, etc?

Personally I only provide real information about birthday or anything real to banks or the government.

I'm starting to wonder if it's unwise to release even use my real name to most sites. Supposedly even this site released my name and email address. Somewhere I wonder if there aren't redundant hacker databases containing the personal information of millions accumulating over time from security breach to breach.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey

Premium Member

said by pandora:

I'm starting to wonder if it's unwise to release even use my real name to most sites.

You use your real name? I never use my real name anywhere they don't check ID.. And if a business "requires" ID (other then legal requirement for proof of age) I tell them to take a hike.

/M

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Stem Bolt

Premium Member

to Stem Bolt
[sighs]
antdude

antdude to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
said by mackey:

said by pandora:

I'm starting to wonder if it's unwise to release even use my real name to most sites.

You use your real name? I never use my real name anywhere they don't check ID.. And if a business "requires" ID (other then legal requirement for proof of age) I tell them to take a hike.

Ditto.