uniqs
bpratt
join:2006-10-24
Redwood City, CA

1 edit

bpratt to point125

to point125

Re: [Connectivity] "not servicable" despite trunk line

FYI, I just had this sort of thing done this spring. Specifically, I had a private line extension run ~800 feet from the closest Comcast wiring to the side of my house, then the actual "normal" comcast install went from 5 feet outside my house into my actual cable modem. The line extension cable is quite impressive, approx 1/2-3/4 of an inch thick and probably 3mm thick copper connector in the center. Serious cable. Search for my other posts and you can see how long this was underway.

My costs broke down like this: ~$14,000 to get 2" schedule 40 PVC conduit installed from the closest telephone pole with cable to my house, all done with trench less directional drilling including going under the road (of course the pole was on the far side of the street) and getting all necessary permits. I had that done privately. Then $3,000 or so to Comcast's construction arm, which around here outsourced to CableComm LLC to get the line extension installed once my conduit was in place. And then finally normal Comcast installation and buying a cable modem. The $72 a month for Blast internet is not a big deal at this point.

It did take a long time (years of trying off and on) to find the construction department contact, then another 4-6 months once I finally got the right contact there and put the process in motion. So don't give up. It was totally worth it, since otherwise our property was unserviceable for high speed Internet, and in the heart of Silicon Valley the impact of that on property value is MUCH more than I spent.

If you happen to be in Northern California message me and I can pass on the contacts I found, but otherwise you'll have to keep banging against Comcast until you get to the construction department.

It can definitely be done, and if you have utility poles in place and can avoid the cost of underground conduit you can do it for a lot less than I had to spend.

Good luck,
Bob
point125
join:2012-08-06

point125

Yea I shouldn't need the underground drilling across the street, the utilities already cross above. I wonder how much of that was the drilling. I've seen people saying they paid anywhere from 2-10$ a foot. (with the 2$ people still complaining haha)

I did finally get a call back I think thanks to a comcast person who messaged me here. This person seemed to at least understand that it was possible for me to pay to have the house connected rather then the "we do it free or it's not possible" response. So I'm waiting for a callback again, supposedly within 10 days I believe they said.