how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NateH

@suddenlink.net
reply to RichardM

Re: Suddenlink Good Speeds Bad Consistency

I have the same exact problem with the consistency of service. i just switched to the phone modem so i didn't know if that was the problem or not because they ran all new stuff from outside to inside. i switched to the phone modem right before that bad storm and it did work good, but then they did all those updates so i didn't know what it was caused from. my guess is that the storm messed up the lines they haven't even checked. which for customer satisfaction they should start checking all their lines. i expect 99% consistency of service like it used to be.

NateH

@suddenlink.net
reply to Verticallog

They also give me the run around telling me everything looks fine. Suddenlink techs would always reffer to their web site speedtest.wv.suddenlink.net for for the results after working with it, but now they said they don't use it anymore. their phone support also use to use that site as well and now they are using speedtest.net which just gives you download speed and upload speed no consistency of service. i noticed though if you click on the the speed test link on the summary page at the top it takes you to their visualware link and it shows your consistency and everything there based of the test you just ran. i'm pretty fed up with the B.S. myself. i live in West Virginia close to the Ohio river.

NateH

@suddenlink.net
reply to Verticallog

SuddenFailure(Link) with no response or comment on their consistency of service problem, just excuses... its a peak time, the sever your using to busy. Bull freaking Shit, i game every day and keep tabs on my connection and can tell when somethings wrong before i even do a speed test. and every time my suspissions are right theres something wrong. I'm thinking of switching to dsl for cheaper prices because quality doesn't seem to matter to Suddenfailure(link) anymore so i guess i'll go the cheaper route since i have only those choices. F@#$ off Suddenfailure(Link).

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2

lol, love it. it's a conspiracy

Verticallog

join:2012-08-10
Belpre, OH

I made a mistake on that phone number for suddenlink corporate office. it is 1-314-315-9400. Sorry about that

SDL L3Tech

join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX
kudos:26
reply to RichardM

»/speak/slidesh···3D&dsz=o

The image linked above is the only one I really see a problem with. The severe latency is between your router and the Suddenlink router which usually indicates that either you're using all of the bandwidth that the modem has available or the downstream/upstream you are on is saturated.

If you PM me your public IP (»whatismyip.com) and your cable modem's MAC address (found on the modem itself) I will gladly look into this for you.

===================================

The consistency test does not provide me with any usable information. Testing from a couple a few modems here in the office, the consistency is all over the place but the speeds, latency, and all other connectivity tests are perfect. I also tested from my home modem and it too shows that the consistency is all over the place but I have no problem using Netflix, hulu, amazon, gaming, downloads or anything else we do on the internet.

I do not see any correlation to the consistency test vs. all other tests and personal experience that shows everything is flawless on the modems I have ran this test on.

PingPlotter is an invaluable tool. PP Traces to sites/servers that you're having a problem with is the best data I can use to diagnose network related problems in a timely manner. PingPlotter pro (free trial) let's you export sample sets so that I can read your data as if I ran the trace myself. It also graphs latency, packet-loss, and jitter.

Verticallog

Belpre, OH

I will gather the info you need and get it to you. Why, can you tell me, is there any reason why there is a consistency link on the speed tests. We do have problems with netflix here in our house. it was so bad here the other day that i finally called netflix and said hey, Can you tell me anything about why netflix stutters. They had me check on a couple of things and told me to call my isp because it appears there is a consistency problem. So i said what do you mean a consistency problem? And they told me that consistency means the isp's ability to provide a constant stream of data. I didnt tell them that i had been dealing with this problem for months i just kept quiet about all that in order to see what they were going to say about that. So it was kind of wierd for netflix to tell me what i already knew. But to have another company tell me that means something. Also the consisteny option on your test site was removed after this problem was submitted to the engineers. can you tell me why they have done that? also if i go anywhere in my neighborhood and watch netflix the same stuttering occurs. if i go to someones house who is getting a 99 on the consistency it never stutters. I use a laptop when i do this so it is the same laptop that i use at my place with a consistency that ranges and the same laptop i use at other places where the consistency is 99.
Now i know that recently they put a new node in our area. we use to have only 1 but now we have 2. I dont know if that helps you any. Also thank you for looking into this for me!

CarribouLou

join:2009-12-08
Kingwood, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 edit

It's not just you Vertical.

For the last 2 weeks I've been getting 50-90% packet loss and constant disconnections.

I've called Tech Support a few times, but they seem stumped as well.

Here is my line monitoring test history-
»/testhistory/1694911/7b46e

SDL L3Tech

Tyler, TX
reply to RichardM

@Verticallog - Due to how Netflix (and other online video providers) use Content Delivery Networks (CDNs), it is difficult to troubleshoot since they can change which server you're getting the stream from on the fly. So instead of just having one server you're connecting to, you could have many. If you would, please contact Netflix again and have them give you the CDN server IP's you were connecting to during the time you were seeing the stream stutter. Then run PingPlotter (PP) to those IP's while you are experiencing the problem.

Another thing you can try for the Netflix problem is changing your DNS. At the moment, most CDN is based on DNS. So if you change your DNS, it may change which CDN's you're getting. If you're using Suddenlink's DNS, try Google's DNS as a test. This may help if the problem is further upstream. If nothing more it will provide us with more data.

Google Public DNS:

There are many paths throughout our network, not to mention the internet. Having the source and destination IP's along with a PP trace during the problem will help isolate the problem faster. The PP trace you posted showed high latency to your gateway, I'll start there. A fresh PP trace during the problem would be helpful since that one is from 8/13.

As far as the consistency test, I have no control or knowledge of what is done with it.

@CarribouLou - Your line monitor shows packet-loss but it does not provide any indication of where it is happening. Would you provide a PP trace during the problem along with your IP address (»whatismyip.com) and your cable modem's MAC address so I can investigate?

CarribouLou

Kingwood, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by SDL L3Tech:

@CarribouLou - Your line monitor shows packet-loss but it does not provide any indication of where it is happening. Would you provide a PP trace during the problem along with your IP address (»whatismyip.com) and your cable modem's MAC address so I can investigate?

Yes absolutely, thanks for the quick response. I am currently running PP right now. I'll send you a private message with everything included.

CarribouLou

Kingwood, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

CarribouLou

Kingwood, TX

Had to post the attachment here.
Sending you a PM with my IP and Mac Address.

Verticallog

Belpre, OH

well the thing is it is not just netflix. Its across all services.
Webpages takes time to load. hotmail google voice gmail, they all take an inordinate amount of time to load. Diane from corporate office still has not returned my phone call. yesterday i called and someone hand delivered a note to her asking her to return my call. whether or not that person actually did deliver it or not is beyond me. but i do know she did not call me back like she told me she was going to do last friday.
There are many people in my area of west virginia and ohio who are having the same problem. some of them just dont know enough info to know whether it is their computer or suddenlinks problem. Quite honestly i am making some other plans because for three months i have been getting lied to, disregarded, told i was full of it, been cussed out, and other things. I have been extremely patient with everyone in this area. From Dave Marlow to Jerry Buskirk and many people in between. I assumed i was getting somewhere when i got ahold of dianne at corporate but apparently i was wrong there as well.
Its not just me. it is a lot of people in this area. One customer of mine has paid out 800 dollars in the past three months because he cant play his game on wgt(world golf tour) and suddenlink says to keep paying and when they get it fixed they will credit him. Him has problems with his phone, internet and tv. He cant play his game at all. he does play one game a day but it is so unbeivably slow that have the time he wants to throw his computer out the door. Now get this. When you play wgt you have to play at least once a day or otherwise you lose your consecutive days and you dont get better equipment within the game. So he has to play at least once a day regardless of how slow it is. His is way worst than mine. However because he plays 1 time a day suddenlink uses this as an excuse that he is using bandwitdh so there must be nothing wrong. So he will continue to pay for services forever because according to suddenlink it is everyone elses problem but theres. Thats what i get from where i am at. Dave Marlow Said they are 99.9 percent sure it is not the plant. So they they send it up to network engineers and the very next day the network engineers removed the consistency from the speedtest site. It use to give you all the different info now you very basically get download speed and upload speed with no other info at all.
Also i dont beleive people are reading this entire thread before they comment. Because some of this i have said before like problems across all services. So there really is no reason to call netflix again because the problem is not just a netflix problem. It happens to all website.

I am not trying to be rude to anyone but my frustation level can only go so high before i call bullshit to everyone. 4 Months 30 hours of my own time( 8 hours alone spent with gib onsite at someone elses house to fix their problem Which is the same as mine but his is worse)(Also not including all the phone hours spent on this issue and others ocer the course of 5 years) And i am still no closer to solving this issue.

People still arent returning phone calls. I am not the only one with this problem. There are lots of others in this area as i have said before. They are not technically inclined, they dont know about dslreports, they are told whatever by suddenlink on the phone because they dont know.

I am the owner of a local computer shop. In the past 5 years i have sent over a thousnad people to suddenlink. In the past year their service and phone support has gotten so terrible that i no longer will recommend suddenlink to anyone. Because i have recommended sudenlink to these people they usually call me first to make sure it isnt their computer that is the problem. It rarely is. so i end up being on the phone with suddenlink at least once a day. So i have heard it all, seen it all. I know the inner workings of suddenlink When i shouldnt ever know it. I have made friends with techs and i hear all sorts of things.

When suddenlink works its great. but when there is a problem, be prepared to waste massive time on getting it fixed.

This last thing is for Diane at corporate office

Is there a reason you have not returned my phone call? even you if you just called to say i am still looking into it. You told me you would call back on friday aug 31, 2012. Today is september 6th And i have left you one additional message that you either did not recieve or just ignored. I also on the same day you were hand delivered a message i also left you a voice mail.

CarribouLou

Kingwood, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Here is my most recent Ping Plotter during and after being disconnected.

This has happened hundreds of times in the past 2 weeks.

CarribouLou

Kingwood, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Attachment

CarribouLou

Kingwood, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Intermittent drop outs, huge lag spikes, followed by complete loss of service.

Take note of the time stamps on all 3 posted, it's happening more and more often in a smaller time frame.

SDL L3Tech

Tyler, TX
reply to Verticallog

I understand your frustration and I apologize for the problems you're having. However, I cannot fix something I cannot see. The only information I have so far is "there is a problem" and "its bad consistency" but those are such vague terms. I know you ran Pingplotter but it was to the speed-test server that apparently blocks pings. I would like a real example that we can troubleshoot in real time.

I believe you said you run a local computer shop. If one of your customers came in and said "my computer is not being consistent", would that tell you everything you need to know or would you ask for specifics? Especially if you checked the computer and it looked OK to you?

If it is not a plant problem and is in fact a network problem then the people you're trying to contact would just contact my boss and he would ask my group to look into it. So let's cut out people in the middle and work together to find and fix this problem.

SDL L3Tech

Tyler, TX
reply to CarribouLou

Thanks for the information CarribouLou. I found a problem and we performed maintenance to resolve that nasty latency and jitter. Please let me know how it is and if you need further assistance.

CarribouLou

Kingwood, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by SDL L3Tech:

Thanks for the information CarribouLou. I found a problem and we performed maintenance to resolve that nasty latency and jitter. Please let me know how it is and if you need further assistance.

Thank you L3Tech, you have been extremely helpful and understanding.

It's awesome to have people like you on this board.
Your hard work is appreciated.

Verticallog

Belpre, OH

I sent the info about my modem to your email through here on wednesday and i provided a link to this post in the email. Let me know if i need to send it again. i put in the ip address and the mac address into the email. Its not you i know youre here to help. but sometimes my frustration level just gets to be too high.

SDL L3Tech

Tyler, TX

Would you please post a fresh Pingplotter while you're experiencing the problem?