Search similar:

uniqs
onihonker
join:2012-08-10
Abbotsford, BC

1 edit

onihonker

[BC] V1000H What have found so far....

I just got Telus to install this router in my home this last weekend. Currently using the V1000H with the 31.30L.55 firmware.

--------------------------------------------------------

What have found so far from searching the forums...

-The latest update pushed out from Telus 31.30L.55.

-A modified firmware version of 31.30L.48 has been released. Actiontec_V1000H_31.30L.48-TELUS-1302125540.1.img

-It is possible to downgrade to the modified firmware version of 31.30L.48 if you have the account/password to access the firmware page on the router. I have this information.

-Optik TV may or may not work in bridged mode. Read different results.

-Not sure if DMZ and port forwarding works with 31.30L.55 firmware 100%.

-It isn't the router that blocks ports Telus' CE Infrastructure blocks the ports listed here »Telus FAQ »Does Telus block any ports?
Correction submitted in by pfak

-'Tech' account password cannot be changed with Telus' pushed 31.30L.55 firmware. Called them and a manager called me back. I think it can be changed with modified firmware but unsure.

-I managed to place a router behind the V1000H and secure it. As suggested on the forums due to the V1000H 'Tech' account.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Questions: Stuff I don't know.

On this note, I'd like to know if their is a modified version of the 31.30L.55 firmware. If their is can someone please send me a link and if not is it wise to use the modified version of the 31.30L.48?

Could someone who has bridged their modem and is using Optik TV successfully post here with confirmed results? Please list firmware version used. Not sure if it is safe to do.

If anyone can answer any of these questions or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I've tried to find all the answers googling and forum searching to no avail.

To help others, I'll try to keep as much of this information up-to-date as answers come in.

Sorry if some of these questions have been asked elsewhere. Honestly did try searching first.

Thank you,
Onihonker

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by onihonker:

-Router blocks ports as listed here »Telus FAQ »Does Telus block any ports?

This is incorrect, the ports are blocked on TELUS's CE infrastructure and not your router.
onihonker
Abbotsford, BC

onihonker

said by pfak:

said by onihonker:

-Router blocks ports as listed here »Telus FAQ »Does Telus block any ports?

This is incorrect, the ports are blocked on TELUS's CE infrastructure and not your router.

Thank you pfak. Updated my information and credited you for your correction.
rewrite2
join:2008-06-29

rewrite2 to onihonker

to onihonker
if you know how to set up your network/router properly after the bridged actiontec, Optik Tv will work doesn't matter which version of firmware you have. I have tried bridge mode on both .48 modified and .55 official firmware, I didn't have to change any of my network configuration after I intentionally let my actiontec get updated to .55 (other than setting actiontec back to bridge mode). My optik tv worked fine including all the apps telus provided.
onihonker
Abbotsford, BC

1 edit

onihonker

Discovered bridging the router is not unnecessary to get Internet/Optik TV.

Found information here:
said by Maxedoutmoni:

I picked up the Netgear WNDR3800, I changed the IGMP proxy setting, but I am getting a stutter/freeze for a few seconds every couple hours with the router set in bridge mode. I have gone through some of my settings but I was hoping someone might have a suggestion for this last issue.

On my router all I had to do was enable the IGMP Proxy and TV worked with internet.

I still am interested in how to bridge the router none-the-less out of sheer curiosity to help others.
said by rewrite2:

if you know how to set up your network/router properly after the bridged actiontec, Optik Tv will work doesn't matter which version of firmware you have. I have tried bridge mode on both .48 modified and .55 official firmware, I didn't have to change any of my network configuration after I intentionally let my actiontec get updated to .55 (other than setting actiontec back to bridge mode). My optik tv worked fine including all the apps telus provided.

Do you mind posting or PM'ing me how you set it up on the .55 firmware?

I would like to bridge my V1000H router with Optik TV. This would help me greatly.
onihonker

onihonker

Received a pointer on bridging the V1000H

Will be testing bridging the router shortly and will report in as soon as I have success. *Hafta prove I got it working first.
onihonker

onihonker

Managed to bridge the V1000H. I consider it a partial success at the moment. Optik TV freezes/stutters/pixelates when connected to the second my second router.

Setup:
Internet--------->V1000H (Bridged)--------->MyRouterHere--------->Optik TV--------->TV

If someone knows how to correct this I'll be able to post more accurate bridging directions. I don't want to mislead anyone.
rewrite2

rewrite2

what router are you using? According to a few post above, you said your enabled IGMP proxy in your router when actiontec was in router mode and tv worked fine. so this freezing/stutter issue only happens when actiontec is set to bridge mode?
onihonker
Abbotsford, BC

1 edit

onihonker

Re: [BC] V1000H What I have found so far....

*If a moderator sees this please correct the title of this thread to "V1000H What I have found so far...." not sure when or how the the "I" was removed. Thanks.
---------------------------------------------------------------

In response to rewrite2 & for others who are bridging their V1000H,
said by rewrite2:

what router are you using? According to a few post above, you said your enabled IGMP proxy in your router when actiontec was in router mode and tv worked fine. so this freezing/stutter issue only happens when actiontec is set to bridge mode?

First Question/Answer: What router are you using?
I'm using a Netgear WNDR4500.

Second Question/Answer: According to a few post above, you said your enabled IGMP proxy in your router when actiontec was in router mode and tv worked fine. so this freezing/stutter issue only happens when actiontec is set to bridge mode?
Lets start by explaining how I initially set things up... also my reason why I have not posted how I went about bridging the V1000H as I don't have all the bugs solved.

At all possible, I want to avoid passing on misleading information or provide a solution that works but causes more problems that could have been avoided had enough testing been done or worse exposes someones network in a means that compromises their security. Despite the 'do this at your own risk' theme that goes with DIY with the hope of making life better mindset.

I'll post what I have done to the V1000H, later, with the hope this post irks the dslreports community to suggest a few more positive suggestions, solutions or scenarios to test. Regardless of the number of responses/suggestions given I will share what I settings I changed at that point.

Setup 1: Old Setup/Freezing/Stutter/How I would like it setup

################################################################
Internet_____V1000H(Bridged)_____WNDR4500(IGMP Enabled)_____Optik TV & Other Devices
################################################################

Setup 1 caused freezing/stutter after about 30mins of TV watching. TV would sometimes just blackout, no audio, and simply not work. The temp solution was to just restart the Optik TV box and continue watching TV.

Ideally Optik TV should work 100% behind my router.

Setup 2: Current Setup/Works/No Problems/Not how I want my network setup

########################################################
Internet_____V1000H(Bridged)_____WNDR4500(IGMP Enabled)_____Other Devices
#####################\____Optik TV #########################
########################################################

Setup 2 Optik TV works as it should no freezing/stuttering when it is attached to the V1000H. Devices all receive a stable internet connection, but it is not how I would like to setup my network. I'd like to have everything behind my router, but as far as I'm concerned Optik TV and internet work. Telus can do whatever they want firmware/update wise/curious neighbors who want to mess with their condo-mate's router can do so without opening up my devices to the world with the hard-coded TECH/Password combo. *Called Telus and a manager listened and having heard from others in similar circumstance, sympathized with my concerns. Mentioned they would forward my security/comments upward the Telus chain of command.

*For this I'm thankful that someone just listened to me even though Telus could not change/solve the problem as I'd hoped they would. Offered to send me a different modem/send a tech/etc.. Understandable responses given Telus has to support the majority of their user base easily and the V1000H is setup to make this possible. If your reading this your a 1% like me !

Getting back on track...
Now that you know how everything is setup, you can see the freeing/stutter for Optik TV occurs when the V1000H is bridged and attached to another router. Optik TV did not work when IGMP was not enabled but this is explained here: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In ··· Protocol "IGMP...(some-words-here)...can be used for online streaming video and gaming."

Setup 1 & 2 Other Notes: Community input is welcomed
-Both double NAT. I do not know how to turn it off on a bridged V1000H
-Still don't know how to 100% secure the V1000H without using a second router or using custom firmware
-Not sure why the V1000H LAN IP cannot be changed or the IP Range.
-Unable to explain WHY Setup 1 does not fully work or WHY Setup 2 works.
-I know the V1000H is bridged but I do not know why Optik TV still functions. My initial expectation was it should not.

Other Thoughts:
Still, I wish the V1000H, and could be secured & changed easier so all the above bridging shenanigans could have been avoided. I've learned a lot in the meantime so its worth the extra effort so I can sleep at night.

TL:DR
V1000H bridged connected to a WNDR4500 connected to Optik TV = Freezing/Stuttering = Setup the way I want but NO WORKs

V1000H bridged connected to a Optik TV = No Freezing/Stuttering = Not setup the way I want. YES WORKs

Other Non-Security/Service-Impairing issues still exist. Can be dealt with another day stuffs. Double NAT. LAN IP/DNS on V1000H. Close & secure service account. Etc...

Unsure if all avenues have been taken to avoid a network meltdown should the V1000H ever be compromised.

Thanks for the read!
rewrite2

rewrite2

When actiontec is in bridge mode, you are not doing double nat since nat is off on actiontec. Plus, when in bridge mode, actiontec has no public IP, which means no one can reach your actiontec from outside, including telus. They can not control/ update your actiontec v1000h unless actiontec itself can obtain a public IP. The reason your stb works because they obtain an IP directly from telus. I have seen people reported this working on the other forum, but if you have a pvr and other digital boxes, your digital box may not be able to see recorded shows on your pvr.

As to why your TV freezes after 30 min, I don't have a clue either. Your first setup looks fine and thats similar to my setup and I have no problem watching shows for hours. The only difference is I have rt-n16 router running 3rd party firmware.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

oh my, i thought this modem was called a Telus Action Tech V1008 because of the way my frinend was pronouncing it.
SHA1
join:2011-08-06

SHA1 to onihonker

to onihonker
I would say the problem is with the WNDR4500. For whatever reason it seems to stop handling the IGMP traffic properly.

Are other devices able to get to the Internet when the stuttering is happening or does everything stop working?

Someone else using the same setup as you was able to get it working in the thread below so it is apparently possible:

»Re: Actiontec V1000h 31.30L.48 modified TELUS firmware

I would try (in order of least to most painful):

1. A firmware update on the WNDR.

2. Playing with the IGMP proxy configuration settings on the WNDR -- I don't have that device so I'm not sure what options you have if any.

3. Another IGMP proxy capable router in its place (borrow an ASUS from a buddy?).

4. Confining IGMP traffic to its own VLAN (will probably require more gear).

Setup 2 pretty much proves out your connection/STB/Modem.