emsvitil
join:2008-06-12
Inglewood, CA

emsvitil to jimrich

to jimrich

Re: [DSL] DSL extreme no working well anymore

Does your voice line have static on it?

If so, read this:

»AT&T Midwest/Ameritech FAQ »DSL works only with phone off-hook, known as High Open
jimrich
join:2012-08-09
Encino, CA

jimrich

P.S. No static on the voice line. It's always been good.
jimrich

jimrich to emsvitil

to emsvitil
emsvitil
re: Does your voice line have static on it?
If so, read this:
»AT&T Midwest/Ameritech FAQ »DSL works only with phone off-hook, known as High Open

>>> I responded to you earlier but that post did not appear here so.......
There is no static on my phone line and I tried to use my DSL service with the phone on and off the craddle - there was no difference other than the annoyance of the phone off the hook!
Thanks for your concern

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

quote:
After the exhaustive and thorough checks with your DSLX tech (Mike) by cell phone during which I connected the modem directly to the entry or source connection for my phone line in the bedroom of this apartment, it seemed there was no place to look other than the AT&T phone lines. Mike then suggested I order a "field tech dispatch" from AT&T...
Ah. Well, there you go: physical issue, not data issue. I'm glad Mike was very thorough in testing everything inside; that's exactly what I want to hear about our techs. As I pointed out earlier, for absolute certainty nothing beats a tech on-site with equipment to test each component individually, but a good tech can usually figure out roughly where the problem is with proper remote troubleshooting. A bad tech wouldn't have tried troubleshooting with you, he would've just given up right away saying, "I don't know"; our tech, however, did a good job and checked everything with you, so that he was able to deduce that it must be the outside wiring via process of elimination.
quote:
... but I declined when told of the "possible" fees! What is stopping me are all these "fees" for this and that while I am suspicious of the corporations involved and, worse, all the complaints and criticism on line from other "ripped-off" customers. In some ways, I am willing to put up with the bad/low speeds rather than endure the corporate run around and service fees for tech visits, etc. I'm not getting what I am paying for but I am able to look at my bank account on line and email so watching Youtube videos will just have to wait until I get a better ISP - assuming there is such a thing.
No need to worry. The whole REASON we want our techs to test the IW (Inside Wiring) so thoroughly is to protect you from unnecessary charges. When we send out an AT&T dispatch, there is no charge for outside line repairs. That's why we don't recommend such until we've done thorough testing until we're confident to the best of our ability that that's where the problem lies.

Please note that we make no money on dispatches; if the AT&T dispatch finds the problem is the inside wiring, not the outside, then he will still fix the issue, but there's a repair charge for it since that's part of the building wiring and not part of AT&T's phone line network. The charges for such inside wire repair work originate from AT&T, not us (they charge us, we pass the charge onto you... no profit on our end). If our testing indicates a problem with the inside wiring, then we let you know immediately, so you can decide what you want to do (leave it alone, or have us call out AT&T to fix it, or if you want to call some other local repairman to fix it, etc.).

If there's a problem with your outside phone lines, then switching to another ISP wouldn't make those go away, any more than picking a different doctor would magically make an illness vanish. Changing ISP's can fix data issues, but doesn't fix physical issues unless your physical equipment actually changes (such as if you move to a different building with different phone lines).